Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Biome/environment in a cRPG?

Favorite Environment?

• Total voters

Murk

Arcane
Been playing a few games recently and I find myself consistently drawn to snowy, icy, and mountainous areas. Especially with some atmospheric soundscapes, music, and sporadic landmarks to not only orient by, but also reach as little milestones. I think my favorite example of this is still finding Nordmar in Gothic 3 the first time -- completely by accident from a side-path that was blocked by an Orc camp. Running past and stumbling around, freezing, and just enjoying the exploration aspect for what it was.

Sometimes the area stands out because of how the game in question handles it -- coupling it with good design, encounters, music, plot/quests, etc. Sometimes the area is just wonderful regardless of any of that, and encourages just stumbling around.

What is your favorite environment? What game is it from? What made it your favorite? How much would you enjoy it if it was decoupled from the above mentioned factors (encounters, music, etc.)?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I voted Ancient Ruins because I like those in theme. But in terms of visual, snow is very nice. Ice Wind Dale was very cool to look at.

Devastator

Learned
I love ancient ruins, usually their scale, detail and intrigue. Although they’re not ancient, I would also count ruined cities from Fallout here, as their vibe is pretty neat.
Crypts are a close second. Think the Graveyard District from BG2 and crypts from IWD.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Urban scifi.

I'd love a darkly noir scifi (more cyberpunk than star wars) setting played from a top down perspective, where the interactivity and systems were done at least close to "right".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Snowpoors outing themselves ITT. There's nothing like climbing a frigid glacier or wading through metre-high snow drifts, and they make for the best settings in all video games.

Murk

Arcane
The dungeon, obviously.

What would this look like though? You can have dungeons that look like anything, based on setting. You mean the diablo 1 stone walls and dimly lit corridors type?

Funposter

Arcane
Swamps. They look great and are atmospheric in Gothic and Morrowind. Draining the swamps of the festering corruption is an uphill struggle, though.
Was going to say "comfy forest" or some such, but I think I have to agree here. Swamps are great - they have a lot of atmosphere, work for a variety of different characters for different reasons, and they provide cool gameplay scenarios. World 5-2 in Demon's Souls is a great example of how cool a swamp biome can be and what it can do for gameplay, although FromSoft would unfortunately copy and paste the idea in each subsequent game and water it down.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If I want snow and ice I just take walk up the mountain, like I did yesterday:

wnRXVTs.jpg

Forgot to charge the battery of my camera, so this was the best shot I got.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Urban Fantasy/Medieval. More a fan of fully realized and implemented domestic locations myself, not cities but places within cities. Opulent mansions, soaring cathedrals, stacked libraries and overcrowded tenements, so lived-in with so much potential for level design and architecture. Doubly so if it's on a cliff or peak with a great view. More games need that Dark Messiah level of altitude and vertigo.

But for Other...
Organic Locations/Womb Levels. Places composed of flesh and viscera, the location itself is alive. Precisely because the atmosphere of such is the opposite of cozy, a feeling of perverse, claustrophobic unease in being somewhere you really shouldn't. The Body of the Many for instance.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Tactically, Urban modern, of course. You have plenty of nooks and crannies to set up cover and ambush. The best tactical RPG usually set in such style.

Not urban fantasy because the best tactical RPG in fantasy subgenre doesnt make use of it very well. Or it's not easy to make use of them. I speak, of course, of Icewind Dale 2.

While ancient ruins do be in use they are just... rocks. What's good about rocks?

mondblut

Arcane
The walls of lush greenery were a refreshing change after same old dungeon bricks.

But I have to admit that when I reached the snowy mountain level in Ishar 2, it was breathtaking. No blobber looked as beautiful to this day.

ishar_2__messengers_of_doom_screen_1.jpg

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Tactically, Urban modern, of course. You have plenty of nooks and crannies to set up cover and ambush. The best tactical RPG usually set in such style.

Hell, it's such a bummer when JA2 changes from urban areas to sparse open fields.

Vatnik Wumao
Couldn't find any decent artwork of the Prothean ruins in Mass Effect or of Star Wars' Valley of the Dark Lords on Korriban, so have some Necron-themed ruins instead:
7gNQx4mK9sB3u5S2.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I always liked ruins and such. Makes you wonder what happened. The worst thing the writers can do is explain the "why?" Well integrated into Serpent Isle. Just see a little at first outside of Monitor, and the ruins kind of add more to the story as you progress. Same thing goes for the Dwarven ruins and such in Morrowind. Something to think about as you go through the story. The best stories tell you enough but also leave a lot to wonder on. The worst thing the Star Wars prequels did was explain too much of what happened before, explain too much of the force, explain too much of Star Wars. Killed all the mystery. Serpent Isle was that kind of game, until you find out that the Gwanni were working with the Emps - then it explains/ruins everything - but up until that point, its very mysterious.

SerpentIsle.jpg

curds

Magister
My dream CRPG setting is medieval fantasy but entirely urban. Think a whole game set in a Lankhmar/Ankh-Morpork type city of adventure. Or even a huge Gormenghast type castle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom