Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

The Magus is definitely unwieldy in a real-time environment. The time I tried Regongar he felt static in a sea of motion.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
He comes with Combat Casting which makes everything somewhat smoother. I think once you figure out the Move/Standard/Full Action thing it can work, you just have to actually cast his protection spells.

Last edited:
Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Magus is definitely unwieldy in a real-time environment. The time I tried Regongar he felt static in a sea of motion.
Having just finished a magus run in turn based, it's definitely the class that feels the best turn based as opposed to RTwP. Even once you figure out how to optimize a magus moment to moment in RTwP it was always a bit too micro-y for my tastes. That is of course until you can just switch on enduring bane weapon and go to town on fools.

Desiderius

Patron
He can make his weapon +3 by level 5 which bypasses DR/Silver so....

He's never really bad. Once you get the hang of it it's not that hard, but unfortunately the big damage for STR-based is in two-handing so it's hard to stick with the plan.

Rieser

Scholar
I'm really enjoying the seamless transition between turn-based and real-time. With the varying difficulty of encounters in the game it's nice to able to just breeze through trash mobs in real-time and then switch to turn-based for "proper" fights.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Cleaner to prevent savefile bloating. And I'd recommend a camera rotation mod.
After that it's up to you. Not sure if the Pnp-rules mod has been updated, it disables much of the easymode rules adaptions, like easy flanking, ranged sneak attacks on flanked targets etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So if i want to play it today which mods are mandatory?

If you love the game for its character customization I can heartily support the respec mod so you have six full characters to toy around with (that is, if you care about companions). Just make sure to set bounderies for yourself and play on a hard difficulty. If you go all out munch on 6 characters you're gonna be bored to death.

I also used the cheat menu once for some bug

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/127?tab=posts - without this you will have to wait forever until Grease or Web disappears after combat, along with Entangle and other area effect spells with long duration.

Those spells suck anyway.

Yeah but it's pretty punishing to activate a trap and have the real punishment being waiting for a couple of hours before the duration runs out ;)

Desiderius

Patron
Character customization mods make the game actively worse. The stats are a little unusual but perfectly serviceable and interesting to build around. You’ll beat 95% of builds out there by keeping them all in their original classes and can easily handle any difficulty that way up to Unfair, though whatever you do with companions your best experience will be starting on Challenging and kicking it up once you feel like you’ve mastered things.

Desiderius

Patron
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/127?tab=posts - without this you will have to wait forever until Grease or Web disappears after combat, along with Entangle and other area effect spells with long duration.

Yeah but it's pretty punishing to activate a trap and have the real punishment being waiting for a couple of hours before the duration runs out ;)

Then your Perception sux.

Git gud

Desiderius

Patron
Poor DC that doesn’t scale and no way to make your own team immune (unlike difficult terrain spells like Stone Call or enemies only spells like Slow).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Git gud

How did I know you would apologize even for this design lol

Desiderius

Patron
Free AoOs and disabling enemies suck?
:what:

What’s free about them? After about lvl five they suck, yes, and before that they’re a pain because they’re not enemy only. My toons aren’t getting hit much anyway and summons/difficult terrain/Slow/metanukes are a better way of handling large numbers.

Pit spells have the same problems but there at least your DC goes up.

Desiderius

Patron

Git gud

How did I know you would apologize even for this design lol

Go fuck yourself. I’ve been very forthright about the game’s shortcomings and yeah the duration on these spells is stupid. It just doesn’t come up much because they’re ineffective. At the level where they’d be decent you only get a couple casts per rest and on higher levels you’ve got better options.

People who spend the whole game spamming shitty low level spells or never getting around to getting their crucial skills to a decent level are playing some imaginary game in their head, not this one.

Max Damage

Savant
Poor DC that doesn’t scale and no way to make your own team immune (unlike difficult terrain spells like Stone Call or enemies only spells like Slow).
First D&D game? Slow is 3rd level spell, no duh it's better against poor will save. You're selling long duration short, and even if these spells fail they still succeed in slowing approach, which is great against crowds.

Desiderius

Patron
That’s my point, this isn’t D&D. It’s rest-limited.

At the point of the game when you can’t cast Slow there’s no reason to have a Wizard/Sorc on the team in the first place since they get so few casts per rest and you’ve got better options for spikes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom