Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I get the overall impression that for a game that serves you the marketing pitch that it focuses very much on the player's immersion in the role of his main character, Cyberpunk 2077 does awfully little in practice to enhance that feeling of immersion.

Yep, CDPR trying to make a a 'blank slate - imeeershun' PC is an unmitigated disaster for their style of storytelling. Honestly I do not even understand this obsession with the above in an RPG.

Character-creationfags man, horrific creatures. Watch some RPG streams. The first question some people in chat will ask is "is there character creation?" If the answer is no they proceed to shit on the game for 5 mins, then leave.

It must be some moderntard psychological disorder or something.

Naraya

Arcane
First playthrough as a hacking corpo, I went with
Arasaka immortality.
Second, as a melee punk -
I offed myself. Damn, these messages during ending credits gave me chills.
Definitely need a break, then I'll go
with Johnny till the very end.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
there is also a cloning facility nearby,
This and reading that it is possible to turn humans into catpeople in the CP world made me rage even more about the Arasaka ending.
They can't just clone V a new body because... reasons. At first I thought it was a ploy to get V's engram, but Takemura makes it clear you are an unimportant nobody to them and being engram'd is just honoring their promise.
Ending could have been decent if V gets a new body but has to tie herself to Arasaka for that. No big deal for Corpo lifepaths.
You get enough flak beong called a traitor anyway. And as Johnny and others hint, Rogue went to bed with them as well to survive.
Nope, it had to be edgy. :argh:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Which is objectively not a good film, but I somehow have a soft spot for it.

I dunno about objectively. I think the film is great for what it is but is let down by terrible leads. But it definitely works as a film and stylistically is amazing. The issue with the film was more with how it was marketed as they just outright didn't know what film they had made nor the audiences that'd go for it. I can tell you, Art School drop outs like me LOL.
But the film had some pretty cool moments however Fifth Element is superior as a Moebius film as it just nails the style and has the character to back it up. So I know what I'd watch instead. Valerian may not be the greatest film ever made but I enjoy it for what it is and it was rare you'd even get Moebius with the current state of Hollywood.

Yosharian

Arcane
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Which is objectively not a good film, but I somehow have a soft spot for it.

I dunno about objectively. I think the film is great for what it is but is let down by terrible leads. But it definitely works as a film and stylistically is amazing. The issue with the film was more with how it was marketed as they just outright didn't know what film they had made nor the audiences that'd go for it. I can tell you, Art School drop outs like me LOL.
But the film had some pretty cool moments however Fifth Element is superior as a Moebius film as it just nails the style and has the character to back it up. So I know what I'd watch instead. Valerian may not be the greatest film ever made but I enjoy it for what it is and it was rare you'd even get Moebius with the current state of Hollywood.
It's a fucking terrible film.

msxyz

Augur
He wants to burn 'Saka to the ground. Which is why he specifically takes Silverhand's engram on the prototype.

It's specifically said that the engram part is old tech, and the prototype -- in particular, the way it takes over a person's nervous system -- is the rare, expensive part. So Yorinobu and Johnny have the same goals.
What can Yorinobu possibly achieve by giving the Shard to NetWatch? It's a corporate sponsored entity. Worst case scenario, every big corporation gets its Relic technology to sell to the rich people. It may hurt a bit Arasaka bottom line, but that's all. The only plausible way to destroy Arasaka is from within, killing Saburo and taking its place. At that point he could do something spectacular, like releasing to the public all the dirt about Arasaka and other corporations hoping this will cause a global uproar of the masses, or using the accumulated weatlh to crash the market in a way the globalist economy is fucked up beyond possibility to recover. Heck he could even release the Soul Killer source code (if it exists) out in the wild so that everybody can use or abuse it, thus making every piece of connected technology unsafe to use.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What can Yorinobu possibly achieve by giving the Shard to NetWatch? It's a corporate sponsored entity.

That's right, NetWatch. If he wants to sell the shard to someone, it makes no sense for Silverhand's engram to exist there. They'd either shred him or make sure he stays on cold storage. His very presence is threatening their existence. My previous explanation made no sense.

ChildInTime

Learned
He wants to burn 'Saka to the ground. Which is why he specifically takes Silverhand's engram on the prototype.

It's specifically said that the engram part is old tech, and the prototype -- in particular, the way it takes over a person's nervous system -- is the rare, expensive part. So Yorinobu and Johnny have the same goals.
What can Yorinobu possibly achieve by giving the Shard to NetWatch? It's a corporate sponsored entity. Worst case scenario, every big corporation gets its Relic technology to sell to the rich people. It may hurt a bit Arasaka bottom line, but that's all. The only plausible way to destroy Arasaka is from within, killing Saburo and taking its place. At that point he could do something spectacular, like releasing to the public all the dirt about Arasaka and other corporations hoping this will cause a global uproar of the masses, or using the accumulated weatlh to crash the market in a way the globalist economy is fucked up beyond possibility to recover. Heck he could even release the Soul Killer source code (if it exists) out in the wild so that everybody can use or abuse it, thus making every piece of connected technology unsafe to use.
Netwatch requested Johnnys engram to lure out Alt just like the netniggers wanted, and Evelyn even tries to pawn off the chip to Netwatch on the same terms, you can read it in her emails after the heist. Also Yorinobu didn't want Arasaka burned and crashed - but changed, he even says it himself
in Arasaka ending when you enter his office and he laments there on the floor that people in Arasaka all around the globe lost their hope that day and returned to their old ways of being afraid of a ghost of a man talking from a box.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Wait missions disappear that early in the game??
It's most likely a bug. The NPCs starting the mission disappear after bringing Evelyn to Judy, the point where your next stop would be Pacifica. You can still ride the rollercoaster, but would have no idea you could unless you look it up.
How many people went down there first I wonder. To me Pacifica was so far down I thought it would be high level endgame territory. :argh:

The only real timed mission I know of is your neighbour. If you don't talk to him within 2 days or so the mission fails. Sad.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Netwatch requested Johnnys engram to lure out Alt just like the netniggers wanted, and Evelyn even tries to pawn off the chip to Netwatch
Did Netwatch already know Yori wanted to sell it to them? Would be a pretty stupid move by them to trust into promises of a heist, risking it's destruction, instead of warning him.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wait missions disappear that early in the game??
It's most likely a bug. The NPCs starting the mission disappear after bringing Evelyn to Judy, the point where your next stop would be Pacifica. You can still ride the rollercoaster, but would have no idea you could unless you look it up.
How many people went down there first I wonder. To me Pacifica was so far down I thought it would be high level endgame territory. :argh:

The only real timed mission I know of is your neighbour. If you don't talk to him within 2 days or so the mission fails. Sad.

Yeah, its sometimes pretty silly. Engine 's hot, get in the van, V!
Gimme a sec, I'll be back in some 10 days!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Arasaka compound bugged or for me because of that. Thought "screw you Takemura, I will rescue Ciri on my own time I'll be back later!"
When I returned much later, the van was driverless in the middle of the road. Everyone inside was friendly. Could loot the place clean while they spouted combat taunts. Without acting.
"It just works!" :hahano:

Perkel

Arcane
I've read people finished EVERYTHING in 80 hours. WTF did you do? Did you walk everywhere or ride the rollercoaster for 20 hours? :hahano::argh:

The "i finished everything in 80 hours" is only possible if you basically skip every dialogue and go from point to point as fast, don't explore at all city and your choice is to blam blam everything on easy. I finished game in 75ish hours as netrunner i did good deal of side quests but not all of them and i never touched blue ones and maybe did 2-3 gigs.

Other than that i don't know how the hell you can clear map so fast.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
don't explore at all city

What's there to explore? The city is sparse in content with only surface activity. It looks nice but that's it. The game punishes exploration with all the closed doors. Filled areas are for missions you haven't accepted yet. Some areas are fully filled with closed doors and nothing of value anywhere at all.

blam blam everything on easy

I played the second playthrough (first was on an old GPU) on Hard from start to finish. Already knew what kind of build is optimal, maybe that's the difference. Stealth is so rudimentary that it's more fun to just shoot stuff. With netrunning you can just poke at enemies and scurry back to your hiding hole. So I took a suppressed revolver and a Kereznikov.

There should be a mod that removes gigs and blues, XP and street cred from random gangs and makes them drop trash loot.

Perkel

Arcane
What's there to explore? The city is sparse in content with only surface activity. It looks nice but that's it. The game punishes exploration with all the closed doors. Filled areas are for missions you haven't accepted yet. Some areas are fully filled with closed doors and nothing of value anywhere at all.

Almost all mission areas are something you actually can get in before missions or even remove enemies there. Good example of that was when i was looking for Panam head honcho. I went there BEFORE that quest i hacked all cameras and security along with dealing with ground level scavs. Once i got there via mission i had to only fight at lower levels where i didn't go.

Some locations are closed but most are open.

Aside from that there are chock full of events, shady deals you can stop, unique dialogues in backalleys talking about stuff, gang wars, etc. This is not your GTA where nothing happens outside of missions.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Btw, after all the hype and preview I expected a Streetkid hunting for glory would be the best way to play it, but to my surprise... I got the most feels out of the Nomad.
The overarching theme being: loneliness.

You grew up with a tight family, people you could trust, but had a falling out. Your car, your "last friend", dies. But you meet Jackie, his mum basically adopts you, you get a team you can trust. Rocks fall, everyone dies. V is all alone again.
Except for the terrorist tapeworm in her head. You can bring up the loneliness in dialog at clouds for many feels again. Much better than the other options actually.
You slowly get to terms with Johnnie, he becomes your new (imaginary) best friend.
Being curious, I then tried the Arasaka ending
Johnnie calls you a traitor, everybody calls you a traitor. First thing V does after waking up: call for Johnnie. Nope forever alone.
:negative:
Avocado ending just felt natural there, bringing V "back home"

But a Streetkid V used to being solo, hunting for glory and generally acting like an egoistic prick didn't trigger the same emoshunal engagement for me. Not worse, just different.
So yeah, V is not that predefined a character and can molded a little to your... immershun.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What's there to explore? The city is sparse in content with only surface activity. It looks nice but that's it. The game punishes exploration with all the closed doors. Filled areas are for missions you haven't accepted yet. Some areas are fully filled with closed doors
Even worse: areas for missions are open but empty. Opposite of where Panam waits for you is a building with cameras. So I went exploring. Loot, mails, backstory, secret room, a recorded video...okaaaaay?
Turns out that area is for River's mission and get only populated then. I would have preferred a locked door over confusing it as "unfinished content".
But spawning mechanic in general is terrible. In the early mission at All Foods, you can use the cameras to check other rooms... and they are empty. But once you get there, BAM, enemies have spawned.
And not only in that mission. Ruins the point of taking over cameras. :argh:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
And to insult to injury, NPC can always hack you as as soon as anyone saw you. Forever. Even if no enemy or camera is alive. Becomes an annoying goose chase to find them. Unless you pick the perk to reveal. Which apparently every NPC has, since you always get a "revealing position" countdown when stealth hacking. :argh:

Plus for some reason hacking cyberware has no int req. Das rite, V can be a master haxxor with 3 int.
On the other hand, implants to negate shock req 12 tech. When you get aperk to do it at 14 tech. Yeah....
Putting req on those things make implants in general questionable. They are supposed to give you things your body can not do on his own.
A lung for more stamina is pointless if V has to have 20 body for it. At that point she would be build like brick and could outrun Usain Bolt anyway. :hahano:

I swear the mechanics in this game can make you more depressed than any ending.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And to insult to injury, NPC can always hack you as as soon as anyone saw you. Forever. Even if no enemy or camera is alive. Becomes an annoying goose chase to find them. Unless you pick the perk to reveal. Which apparently every NPC has, since you always get a "revealing position" countdown when stealth hacking. :argh:

Yeah, its like the devs WANT you to use wall hack cheat weapons...

I generally try to avoid shooting trough the entire building, but once some bastard netrunner starts frying my ass, I feel forced to.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Almost all mission areas are something you actually can get in before missions or even remove enemies there. Good example of that was when i was looking for Panam head honcho. I went there BEFORE that quest i hacked all cameras and security along with dealing with ground level scavs. Once i got there via mission i had to only fight at lower levels where i didn't go.
That's a pretty stupid design fuckup. Even Skyrim respawned areas if they get reused for a quest. :argh:

Turjan

Arcane
I spent about 240 hours on it
:what:
I've read people finished EVERYTHING in 80 hours. WTF did you do? Did you walk everywhere or ride the rollercoaster for 20 hours? :hahano:

I am still pissed the rollercoaster mission disappears after finding Evelyn.
:argh:
Heh, while I rode the rollercoaster maybe a handful of times, I also sometimes just drove around, or tested different cars. Tried whether you can jump with a car across that canyon with the ramp, stuff like that. Also, that Chopin save is at 177 hours, with the different endings adding to that. I completely cleared Watson, Westbrook and the Badlands of all missions. So, absolutely everything, there's nothing left. If I feel like it, I can still return to the other city areas, as there are still gigs left, and even the boxing side missions, if I feel like it. I didn't so far. Plus, of course, I restarted missions a few times, just to see what happens if I do them differently.

I know the "proper" way would be to restart the game and try a different way, but I really can't be arsed to sit through all those cutscenes again and again. The story is a bit of an obstacle to replayability.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
sit through all those cutscenes again and again. The story is a bit of an obstacle to replayability.
Since you HAVE to do the heist to unlock the whole city, best way is to just do mainquest missions except Panam. Not leaving the city, nuh-uh-uh. There be werewolves outside! :hahano:

Locking most side missions to the PONR is just stupid. V just crawled home on all fours, but hey, let's visit an Asscracks concert first amirite? :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom