Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Quillon

Arcane
Since they planned for a much bigger game from the start, wonder if they are going to add import save for the sequel and maybe import decisions as well from the first game.

This is the worst, time-wasting distraction for any game. It's dumb and it doesn't deliver. You can't properly import and show good C&C for major, truly consequential decisions, because then the already massive challenge with branching games you exploded tenfold. (A lot of the end-game decisions tend to be world-changing precisely because it's the end and we don't have to actually go create an entirely new country.) So what we end up with is a bunch of pointless hand-waving, and then a bunch of ultimately forgettable, gimmicky consequences for small imported decisions (Man Who Got Stomped by Gozilla is => Dead / Alive? => if Alive, extra dialogue line!!!)

Make the game good for what it is, and put in lots of C&C within the game. Nothing is gained by wasting tons more time trying to do way more difficult cross-game C&C with no extra payoff.

For KCD in particular, as Bad Sector says, there's not really any meaningful choices to make anyway. It's Vavra's World and we're just riding a heavily choreographed rollercoaster.

Well, its devs' responsibility to mind their continuation; if they are gonna pick up right where they left off then don't give players big/world altering decisions or just make your sequel set in a distant time & place so the decisions would never come up or pick canon decisions, otherwise they have to do it. Yeah it isn't worth it when they do it like PoE1>Deadfire but its very much worth it when its like ME1>2>3. Then again its necessary to do it for PoE1>Deadfire / Witcher2>3 since they are direct sequels and they didn't pick canon decisions(which could get backlash from players).

How did people react to Fallout 2 back in the day as a sequel(set decades after + canon decisions)? New Vegas also made stuff canon from earlier so I guess its all about real & fictional time between the games, whether its direct sequel etc.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game doesn't acknowledge your death as such. You may get a different dialogue line from an NPC when you meet him/her for the first time, depending on whether you're in your Hollow form or not, but that's it. And despite being heralded as hardcore, Dark Souls doesn't really have a "proper" failure state (unless you consider dropping the game a failure state) - you can retry as much as you want. That said, being able to regain and lose Humanity is part of the in-game universe and has some mechanics tied to it, so it fits well together as far as lore and gameplay is concerned.

With the game's rules acknowledging your death i mean that you do not get a game over screen like, say, Doom and then you have to reload or restart but that the game knows you died and changes your form to hollow - ie. it doesn't just revert time. IIRC some parts of the world didn't even reset.

Do i remember wrong?

Goddamn this game gave Bad Sector some serious trauma. Hey Bad Sector, are you gonna be crying over the save system itt for much longer?

It was mostly a coincidence that i wrote my thoughts on the save system in this thread since people respond to them - i'd be writing the same stuff in any other game with a similar save system if there were the same responses. If anything KCD's approach is mild at best, far from "trauma". I just think that people like KCD enough to be more likely to defend its choices than other games - e.g. i doubt many would care if i wrote the same stuff on a thread about Alien Rage, even if the limited saving system annoyed me much more (and had way more deaths) on that game than in KCD. And really my comments aren't so much about the annoyance but about something i do not consider good game design.

Also since i haven't finished the game (which i plan to do at some point) i do not really have much else to write about it. I'll do post more thoughts after i do (and chances are i wont be mentioning the save system much when i do since i do not really have much else to write than what i've already written).

Harthwain

Magister
With the game's rules acknowledging your death i mean that you do not get a game over screen like, say, Doom and then you have to reload or restart but that the game knows you died and changes your form to hollow - ie. it doesn't just revert time. IIRC some parts of the world didn't even reset.

Do i remember wrong?
This is true.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The bandit camp raid is the perfect example why the saving is shit.
Once you start the raid you can not save, ever.

Also they seemed to have changed Runt, it's impossible to win clinches against him.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Some notes about games from last year by Dan Vávra, mostly google translate

This year seemed to me as a really great misery. The vast majority of stuff was a corporate completely useless commercial waste, remakes, reboots and remasters, or independent nonsense. I guess I am too old so most of these games are not for me.

Nevertheless, I finished a few games to the end. During the first lockdown, I finished Shakedown Hawaii on Switch, which I bought for children and then didn't want to lend it to them, which is an absolutely great pixelart variation on GTA I. But it's better in every way, and it's a divine parody of the eighties and nineties. It makes me a little nervous that my four-year-old daughter subsequently started playing the game and can spend an alarming amount of time running around the city with an armored vehicle. Another game on Switch and again pixelart is Carrion. Fantastic Polish horror movie vibe, where you control a monster fleeing from a secret laboratory, while the game has a fantastic 2D physics and is based around it. My daughter wanted to play it, but this one I forbade her.

I also finished Wasteland 3, which looks pretty poor, doesn't bring anything new to the RPG genre, but it was still great, because the ancient mechanics from the first Fallout still work and I enjoyed it a lot.

The highlight not only of this year is Cyberpunk 2077 for me. I did not expect anything from it. The beginning disappointed me tremendously, but then it became the best game in the last few years. Period. I played it on a PC and after hotfix 1.2 I didn't have even ONE game breaking bug or any major problem, apart from the annoying need to set up Czech subs after each run. The disappointment was the clickbait sensationalism of all youtubers and journalists who chased the views by showing the non-patched first version of the game, without most of them playing it at all.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla was a disappointment for me of the year. A perfect example of corporate waste without any inventivness and, full of boring repetitive nonsense. The biggest disappointment was that something like this has a better rating from critics and players than Cyberpunk in the end, and it sells well. Even more disappointing was the finding that the leadership of these corporations was apparently riddled with sexist pigs, embarrassing the entire gaming industry, fueling all these hysterical campaigns against players. I find it very sad that it turns out that such on the outside, woke company, is, in reality, itself crawled through what it is fighting against. But it is common for the one who shouts the most…

Wizfall

Cipher
Surprising Vàvra likes W3, i remember him saying many years ago turn based isometric games were archaic game design and "we" should move on from to embrace a more FPS/simulation first person approach.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Surprising Vàvra likes W3, i remember him saying many years ago turn based isometric games were archaic game design and "we" should move on from to embrace a more FPS/simulation first person approach.
The two are not mutually exclusive. You can think iso is not needed anymore (if you have a good budget) but still enjoy it when it is done well. I also prefer first person/third person games but enjoyed Wasteland 3.

ADL

Prophet
Surprised to see Vavra didn't appreciate Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the basis that actually rewards exploration in a way that reminded me of KCD. When you go into eagle view, it gives you a pillar of light letting you know something cool is over there but that's it and you can easily navigate without quest markers and stuff. Turned an otherwise generic Ubisoft open world into something memorable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even more disappointing was the finding that the leadership of these corporations was apparently riddled with sexist pigs, embarrassing the entire gaming industry, fueling all these hysterical campaigns against players. I find it very sad that it turns out that such on the outside, woke company, is, in reality, itself crawled through what it is fighting against. But it is common for the one who shouts the most…
I've missed the drama that he is referring to here.

Gerrard

Arcane
Ubisoft higher ups had really based parties with drugs and hookers, and I am not in any way surprised that a woke company is in fact filled with sexist and racist shits. Because all woketards are hypocrites of the highest order.
The more of Vavra's opinions I read the more I'm worried about the next game's fate. We might see an even faster decline than with CD Projekt.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really can't imagine Daniel Vávra succumbing to the absolute retardness that "woke" represents.
Vavra might not but Warhorse isn't his anymore. Plus from his various posts and comments over the years I'm gathering he's so filthy rich now he might not stay in the developing business for long. In fact I fully expect him to leave Warhorse after KCD2 and do something entirely different (he talks about making films very often).

I'm 95% sure in a few years we will lose a major vidya visionary and a very based individual.

ADL

Prophet
It'd be a damn shame if he leaves the industry before making the ultimate 1930s gangster immersive sim of my dreams. I really want a KCD + Mafia mashup before he goes.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Vavra might not but Warhorse isn't his anymore.
I somehow managed to entirely forget about this fact. Good point.

Vávra has been pretty much the last bastion in this whole matter so, if he leaves gaming, then I will follow him. Also, year after year there has been fewer and fewer interesting games to play, so my departure has been long overdue, anyway...

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Tried to knock out the woodcutters that attack you in the Playing with the Devil quest, turns out you can't do it (they are even immune to the knockout perk), and the only outcomes are you either kill them or they kill the women.
:hmmm:

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Vavra might not but Warhorse isn't his anymore. Plus from his various posts and comments over the years I'm gathering he's so filthy rich now he might not stay in the developing business for long. In fact I fully expect him to leave Warhorse after KCD2 and do something entirely different (he talks about making films very often).

I'm 95% sure in a few years we will lose a major vidya visionary and a very based individual.

I dont think Vávra is "too rich to keep making vidya" since he also talked about how he became disillusioned with his own success after finding out that he cant afford a house in New York (I think he talked about this in the Bratříček podcast, though maybe it was somewhere else).

As for the next Warhorse game becoming a cuck-fest due to new owners, I am quite optimistic about this not happening, since Vávra is by far not the only based individual in the studio and the owners would risk that the studio will fall appart on them. Of course we will see in a few years.

Tried to knock out the woodcutters that attack you in the Playing with the Devil quest, turns out you can't do it (they are even immune to the knockout perk), and the only outcomes are you either kill them or they kill the women.
:hmmm:

Yes, this is a somewhat controversial thing. IIRC the reasoning behind this whole lose-lose situation is that sometimes the only way to win is not to play - ie witchcraft is not something you should fuck with, so the "good ending" is simply not getting involved.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, it's one of the few quests in the game where there's simply no satisfying solution to be found. The "woodcutters" aren't really woodcutters either but common bandits.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay retard
Well instead of having me guess, you could have listed your PC configuration and game settings, genius.

This is either slow storage, which can be ruled out - I have an EVO 860, slow RAM, which I doubt since my RAM is probably less and slower than yours, otherwise I don't know. Could it be the GPU?

I have almost the same setup as Awesome: i7 4820k, GTX 1080ti, SSD, BUT I have 32 GB DDR3 of the fastest Corsair stuff back from 2012 in quad channel and I don't get any stutters at all with the problems you mention with 2K. I do get the slowdowns with the torches but they are consistent and it seems for everyone. The only real difference it seems is the RAM, so maybe the amount and speed makes a difference?

SlamDunk

Arcane
This is the greatest insult since I graduated from gender studies. Mr. Admin, please ban this man to create a safe space for me while I color my hair purple.
Well, well... there might still be hope for you, my frie... comrade.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom