Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Biome/environment in a cRPG?

Favorite Environment?

• Total voters

V_K

Arcane
Deserts and oases with a nice comfy Arabian Nights feel to them.
Myself I prefer deserts to be like in riddick. Actually technomancer delivered quite well on it
Yeah, I think the poll needs two options for deserts - American-style (e.g. Fallout) and African/Arabian-style (e.g. Dark Sun).

Might be why I found ICY so enjoyable. Also absolutely loved beginning of heroine quest.
Those bring better options to the table than boring health bars.
Aleshar: World of Ice should be right up your alley then.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Call me plain but I like plains.

While all kinds of territories can be great for a bit of diversity in exploring a well executed plains or grassland type biome is still my favourite.

For one they provide great contrast. An abandoned keep, a lone willow, a crumbled tower, a dragons cave, all can shine equally well in a plain.

Plains also carry a notion of beginnings. The small hero just taking the first steps on his journey always starts on a plain. A plain evokes feelings of a level 1 party for me, of the first orc slain and the first level up. And that is my favourite part of an rpg and the reason I like BG1 so much.

jungl

Augur
fantasy stuff like ice palaces, bone fortresses and underground tower fantasy shit you can't see irl.

Murk

Arcane
Ony one option allowed? I'm in Ice/Snow ultimately, with Morrowind's Solstheim a big favourite, but Desert wouldn't be far behind. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands was legit with its various desert biomes.

I wanted to see the one that stood above all else; in a sense channeling that if you were going to play a game (let's just assume it's a *GREAT* game) and it's set in a single setting, which would you want it to be? Some variation is fine of course (fancy urban, poor urban, shanty town outside, harbor, etc.) but it'd all be cohesive in how it fit together.

Herumor

Scholar
I tend to like all sorts of environments. It really depends on how well the game pulls it off. Ultimately though? Winter and ice and arctic desolation is my kind of jam. Nothing beats it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
As in real life, I like highlands and prairies.
But in a nutshell, any environment that manage to transmit this "power of nature" feeling, forests, deserts, mountains, is good for me.

Takamori

Learned
I like urban medieval settings, but enjoy dwelling in caves and long forgotten dungeons. The thrill that I get for exploring the unknown in those adventures is an exciting feeling.
Urban setting thoughs open to several theaters of battle in several branches of the city if done well.

Hrymr

Educated
My dream CRPG setting is medieval fantasy but entirely urban. Think a whole game set in a Lankhmar/Ankh-Morpork type city of adventure. Or even a huge Gormenghast type castle.
Based and Gormenghast-pilled.
1541709564858-AYPHAKG9L4VZKNEQ2SDA

62232cea4a08c14ab9a18def1e6dc961.jpg

5237f3af09e45d6bcd0f418af0d7c5a5.jpg

Id0F4op8WYwubJe6ZKqAGmOYOWRYXF3Jo9I1uhlCMMK5s8d9Uq6X0UiMhUu7znk2eeyIgQZrSSR7tFQ5CuZcvFJz0n2CzWE6Hpfudb31iM9qenellkV4_40r-4IUchAvrTv4_aXeyV1-KXmdPaljdBEB

d45xxlr-33891800-4c2d-4776-bec8-0626b3407d17.jpg

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Don't think I have a strong favourite, but I like when games just pick one, stick with it and do it well instead of dragging you through a dozen different settings just to have new eyecandy to throw at consoletards every few hours.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Playing through Dungeon Siege of all things... good swamps.

xBDO6Hk.png

owx7YP8.png

Favorite is Icy Northlands though.

When trying to think of a memorable example from a game, I'm ashamed to admit that one of the first to spring to mind was Winterspring from Vanilla WoW.

Coming into Winterspring that first time through the Timbermaw tunnels from Felwood... Winterspring was an amazing experience for the first time back in the day.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
the one that pleases my eyes
lots of modern 3d environments look soulless
on the other hand early 3d look ugly and abrasive
2d environments are still my favorites because of its artistic simplicity
generally city, towns irritate me because I have problem navigating

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you played Halo? The Halo rings and other such installations are artificial worlds that generate "natural" biospheres. Halo's primary aesthetic is a natural landscape with a few brutalist military installations scattered here and there.

I've only played the first two back in the day and do not remember them clearly, especially the second one, but i do remember liking Halo's environment design.

Myself I prefer deserts to be like in riddick. Actually technomancer delivered quite well on it

Yeah, Technomancer (and Mars: War Logs) was in my mind when i wrote about sci-fi ruins :-P.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Endlessly deep dungeons. Possibly with the only castle at the surface with king giving your quests, smith and tavern.

Momock

Augur
I like rivers and waterfalls the most I think. They're relaxing, nice to look at and change the scenery while still being in the same environment, imply different ennemies/creatures that the ones surounding it (with some interraction between them, hopefully), some puzzling for traversal (or the use of spells and skills, because you don't want to pay the boatman?), fishing and maybe secrets (in general behind the waterfalll, but it can be a draining system or the entrance of the sewers of the nearest city). Pretty cool places overall. Bonus points if the hot chick you're playing gets wet when leaving the water.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom