Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Those Beamdog guys make some pretty tough games.

Gargaune

Magister
Fine, I'll bite.

W1hH40S.png

You guys do realise this may be a regulatory requirement, right? If Steam have a publishing contract with Beamdog to distribute code that was last compiled by Beamdog, then that's what the store listing's gonna say. I don't have PST EE installed anymore, but as far as I recall their EEs still show the original developers credits at the end. It all comes down to whatever licensing terms were agreed, corporate trademarks are literally serious business.

As for asking for positive reviews, so what? It's not like they ran out into the street with a cardboard sign, they asked for satisfied customers to give them some gold stars, big whoop. YouTubers do it all the time. Uber drivers do it, for fuck's sake.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Those EE versions really do all look like shit, wtf were they thinking. Someone looked at that shit and went "yeah, that looks enhanced.". That's fucked up.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Fine, I'll bite.

W1hH40S.png

You guys do realise this may be a regulatory requirement, right? If Steam have a publishing contract with Beamdog to distribute code that was last compiled by Beamdog, then that's what the store listing's gonna say. I don't have PST EE installed anymore, but as far as I recall their EEs still show the original developers credits at the end. It all comes down to whatever licensing terms were agreed, corporate trademarks are literally serious business.

As for asking for positive reviews, so what? It's not like they ran out into the street with a cardboard sign, they asked for satisfied customers to give them some gold stars, big whoop. YouTubers do it all the time. Uber drivers do it, for fuck's sake.

While #metoo is embarassed by Beamdog's "development" of PS:T, it seems to be the common Steam practice with the remastered games.

For example, Day Of The Tentacle/Grim Fandango/ Full Throttle Remastered all feature Double Fine Productions and not LucasArts (R.I.P.) as the developer and publisher.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jesus Christ, Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition is the worst piece of junk software I ever encountered.

I played PST normally once a few years ago, and when the EE came out I bought it and played for a few hours, nothing major happened, the system worked quite well. As such my opinion of the EE was initially quite high, it looks pretty and it works.
Today my opinion changed. Today I decided to replay that save.

Everything is fucked. Areas resetting left and right, quest triggers being broken as a result of that, music playing at random places, frequent crashes, crashes that kill every other fucking programm I have running at the same time and make my entire PC sluggish as hell until I restart, graphical glitches galore, music being fucked in random places, savegames disappearing, everything at once.

Beamdog completely deserves its shitty reputation it has here for their lazy pieces of shit Enhanced Editions, and I repent for defending them in the past.
Fuck them, fuck their cancelled game, I hope they go out of business soon so a new studio can make the Icewind Dale 2 enhanced editions once they find the source code on a grimey CD in Sawyer's rape dungeon.
This is not a game. This abomination has legitimately given me more trouble than a virus.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Beamdog completely deserves its shitty reputation it has here for their lazy pieces of shit Enhanced Editions, and I repent for defending them in the past
I welcome you back among the ranks of the righteous.

Now join us, let's spit on Beamdog together for all eternity:

tenor.gif

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like IWDEE. Come at me Bro.

I want IWD 2 EE. Alas, Beamdog is shit tier. I own the original version but last time I tried playing it I had a tonne of problems getting it to run. Now I have Windows 10 maybe I should give it another shot. It's been long enough that I probably don't remember any of it beyond the opening scene.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some other funky highlights of playing with Shovelware include:

Killing Trias so hard with doublecasted FMV spells that he dies without ever giving his dialogue, bricking the game as no portal back to Sigil is created.
Having the fucking late game FMVs not even pause the game, so all my companions got killed on a cutscene that played on an area transition which lead to a permanent loss of loot and a reload.

Fuck I just want this playthrough to end at this point.

Cael

Arcane

I want IWD 2 EE. Alas, Beamdog is shit tier. I own the original version but last time I tried playing it I had a tonne of problems getting it to run. Now I have Windows 10 maybe I should give it another shot. It's been long enough that I probably don't remember any of it beyond the opening scene.
Mine still works perfectly. Through Win 7 and now Win 10.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Mine still works perfectly. Through Win 7 and now Win 10.

I had lots of issues in win 7, but I haven't tried win10 so I'm full of hope. I remember it being a lot of fun, but it's been so long since I last played it because they never made an EE version.

I vaguely recall the end being in a haunted mansion or something?

Gastrick

Cipher
This is one of the advantages of piracy, that when they replace classic games with worse versions, all you need to do is download the original and you're fine. They could try to erase anything, but they would just be wasting their time because someone is seeding it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You can run original through VirtualBox under WinXP guest. Runs at 60 AI updates per sec, no slowdown. Can do that with BG1 and IWD1 as well. No slowdown. Even when tons of shit on-screen.

I modded BG1 with max spell effects: 30 ApR spellcastings from bows. Magic Missiles, Webs, Cloudkills @ 30 ApR. On shitty old laptop + recording, there was some slowdown but I was surprised how much it could handle. It's on YouTube somewhere.

Gargaune

Magister
I played PST normally once a few years ago, and when the EE came out I bought it and played for a few hours, nothing major happened, the system worked quite well. As such my opinion of the EE was initially quite high, it looks pretty and it works.
Today my opinion changed. Today I decided to replay that save.

Everything is fucked. Areas resetting left and right, quest triggers being broken as a result of that, music playing at random places, frequent crashes, crashes that kill every other fucking programm I have running at the same time and make my entire PC sluggish as hell until I restart, graphical glitches galore, music being fucked in random places, savegames disappearing, everything at once.
Odd, only played through it once but I didn't notice any issues. I had the 3.0.3.0 release build and patched it to 3.1.3.0 midway. Could it be an issue with backwards save compatibility or did new bugs pop up in later versions?

I had lots of issues in win 7, but I haven't tried win10 so I'm full of hope. I remember it being a lot of fun, but it's been so long since I last played it because they never made an EE version.
Your mileage may vary, the only original IE title I play is IWD2 and it's always taken some tinkering to get working. I've tried a bunch of fixes across a couple of different systems until it runs properly, including the 2010 DirectX SDK and different DirectDraw wrappers, and then I set GPU scaling and install the HD Fix and Zeckul's Widescreen mods. I'd be very happy for Beamdog to have a crack at it and save me the hassle, but they gave up on the idea once they couldn't turn up the source code.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Your mileage may vary, the only original IE title I play is IWD2 and it's always taken some tinkering to get working. I've tried a bunch of fixes across a couple of different systems until it runs properly, including the 2010 DirectX SDK and different DirectDraw wrappers, and then I set GPU scaling and install the HD Fix and Zeckul's Widescreen mods. I'd be very happy for Beamdog to have a crack at it and save me the hassle, but they gave up on the idea once they couldn't turn up the source code.
On my clean installation of Windows 10, IWD2 works without any external fix or mod, but only if I play in windowed mode and 1024 x 768 resolution (you can select both options in the included configuration utility).

Parabalus

Arcane
On my clean installation of Windows 10, IWD2 works without any external fix or mod, but only if I play in windowed mode and 1024 x 768 resolution (you can select both options in the included configuration utility).

But that's a pretty big if - depending on your monitor it's unplayable. Last time I played only AwesomeButton's wrapper worked for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom