Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - obscure Russian narrative RPG

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Added to my wishlist. I need something different to play than the usual. This looks refreshing.

buffalo bill

Arcane
This looks cool. Hopefully it's genuinely reactive and branching, unlike the disappointing Disco Elysium which was superficially reactive and branching but actually very railroad-y just below the surface. The dev description of this game gives me hope that it will not be railroad-y, but been burned before.

deama

Prophet
Looks pretty interesting, I quite liked age of decadence's style so I'll check this out when it's released.

Vatnik Wumao
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1272160/view/2926739921545645133
The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante — Chapter 1&2 is out!
Bonjour, Miladies and Milords!

We’re thrilled to announce that The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante — Chapter 1&2 has just been released on Steam for free! It is a prologue to the narrative-driven RPG where you’ll experience a man’s life in a dark medieval realm.

We also prepared a new trailer!

Many of you have already played the demo of The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante some time ago, but others didn’t. Thus we decided to make our demo permanently available to download and play and transformed it into a free prologue that includes Chapter 1&2 of the story (there are five chapters in total). We hope this will give everyone the chance to try out our game and get a feel for what it is like.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante — Chapter 1&2 offers around two hours worth of gameplay and grants access to a portion of the full experience offered by The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, allowing players to explore the base mechanics as well as develop a taste for the game’s unique atmosphere and lore.

For those who just landed on this page, The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is a narrative-driven text-based RPG set in a ruthless medieval realm that comes to life on the pages of the protagonist's journal.
Who will he become — a judge, an inquisitor, or a rebel? The choice is yours!

P.S. Though there’s nothing really new for any of you Summer Festival demo players, we’d really appreciate it if you could tell your friends about it, or maybe even hop back in and leave a review on the prologue’s page on Steam? A small thing, but those reviews make a massive difference for a small dev team like ours!

Thank you so much for your support and don’t forget to wishlist the game on Steam and subscribe to our news on Twitter and Facebook!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Damn, I tried out the demo and this is actually pretty good stuff - with plenty of replay value even, which I wouldn´t expect from this type of a game. The "lesser death" thing seems kinda weird lore-wise, but I guess it will make for an interesting game mechanic. In any case I will be watching this, hopefully it gets released in 2021 as the Steam claims.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1272160/view/2950386280119272341

Greetings, everyone! It has been almost a month since The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante Chapter 1&2 release and we received amazingly positive feedback from players all over the world. However, there were also many queries regarding the game itself, its lore, as well as some of the mechanics.

Before everybody goes off for the holidays, we’d like to clarify a few important points and answer some of the most popular questions about The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante.

When will the game be released?

All we can say right now is that The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is slated for a Q1 2021 release and we’ll definitely announce more accurate information on the official Steam page in due time. Please, make sure you wishlisted the game if you would like to be notified when that happens!

How much will the game cost?

At the moment, we’re still working on The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante's English localization, so the price has not been set yet. Rest assured that - as an indie title - it’ll be affordable!

Will the saves from the free version carry over to the full game?

Yes, they will! We're implementing this feature right now. ;) However, if you have an older version of the demo installed (released before the 1st of December), we recommend you update it and start your journey over as it may not be possible to transfer progress from those outdated versions.

How exactly are you supposed to pronounce “Brante”?

What we had in mind when coming up with the protagonist’s name is that it should sound a little French, thus we typically stress the very last syllable - Branté. But honestly, the game is set in an imaginary fantasy world, so you can pronounce it however you wish. :)

I found a typo/encountered a bug in-game, where can I report it?

We are well aware of the problems with the text and our team of editors is currently working to resolve them. Rest assured that the typos will be fixed soon. Nonetheless, if you noticed something that needs reporting or have any other concerns, please feel free to share them in the game’s Discussions section on Steam (it may be a good idea to run a search for similar issues first if only to keep related reports neatly packed in the same thread)!

Any plans for a MacOS, mobile, or console version of the game?

Unfortunately, we’ve no plans to port the game right now but will definitely consider this possibility in the future.

Why did you implement the Willpower stat? I can’t make certain choices due to lack of Willpower points and it is quite annoying.

Our original idea was to highlight the fact that the protagonist is not an almighty superhuman and his inner resources are limited. Oftentimes he needs to "pay" for the privilege of following his heart.
It's all about choice and strategy - would you rather spend your Willpower now or save it for a more important event that may or may not happen in the future? Just like in real life, one has to think ahead and decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve their goals.

Will the game be available in Early Access?

No, we do not plan to have an Early Access launch for The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante. However, you can support the game by preordering it on the publisher’s website[store.101xp.com], which comes with a set of pleasant bonuses!

Is there a chance for the story to end prematurely with the protagonist's true death?

Yes, in the full version of the game, your playthrough might end rather abruptly if you take too many uncalculated risks. That's why we implemented the option to return to the beginning of the current chapter, giving players the opportunity to rethink their choices. :)

Will The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante be available only in English and Russian? Do you plan to add more languages later on?

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is twice the size of the “Hobbit” novel by J.R.R. Tolkien and boasts more than 200K words.
As you can imagine, it’s an ENORMOUS amount of content in need of translation and editing. Therefore it was decided to release the game in Russian and English first, then, if the title generates enough interest from players around the globe, we will consider adding support for other languages as well.

_________

Hope we answered some of your questions and cleared up any concerns you might have had about the project. If your question does not fall into any of the categories mentioned above, feel free to leave a comment under this article or start a new thread in the Discussions section.

Thank you wholeheartedly for your amazing support! We wish all of you very Happy Holidays!

Kindest regards,
Sever Studio and 101XP

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Played the demo and it was pretty neat. You actually have to live the way a person in this fantasy world would as opposed to being a white knight cuck out to always make the "best" decision. Only problem I have is that Willpower is akin to fuel you absolutely want to accumulate as much of as possible and is involved what appear to be the most beneficial outcomes.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1272160/view/3065230683498415019
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1272160/view/3060727718227499600

Finish the Story Contest — Stephan’s Prank
Dive even deeper into the game's narrative and rewrite it as you see fit!
Hail to your grace, Miladies and Milords! We invite you to join the fun and participate in The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante "Finish the Story — Stephan’s Prank" Contest.

What is all of this about?

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is a narrative-driven RPG and those of you who played the free prologue should already know that every action chosen by the player has the power to greatly affect the protagonist as well as future in-game events.

We would like to offer a chance to dive even deeper into the game's narrative and grant you the power to rewrite it as you see fit!

Here is how it works:

We share an exclusive snippet of Sir Brante’s biography and give you three options for possible actions to pick from. You can then leave a comment specifying the path you would choose in-game and, as soon as we get at least 50 REPLIES, we’ll make a new post, describing the consequences based on the choice made by the majority of respondents!

And now... let’s take a look at today’s story, shall we?

The Story

You have just finished your daily studies and decided to play in the yard. Father left for Eterna a couple of days ago, on an errand from the Prefecture, and is expected to arrive later today, in time for supper. Mother is stitching embroidery in the living room. The whole house fell silent in the afternoon tranquility.

You find a large branch in the garden - aha, this is going to be your sword! Now you’ll show those cowardly bastards...
Jumping and dodging, you parry invisible enemies’ counterattacks, imagining yourself the greatest general in the history of Magra. Father would be so proud of you - you protect your family’s honor as a true nobleman!

When you stop to catch your breath, indistinct laughter and mumbling suddenly reach your ears. Peeking around the corner, you see Stephan studiously spreading mud across recently washed laundry. Oh no, that’s Gloria’s favorite dress!

- That’ll teach her a lesson! She shouldn’t sneak around the house writing her stupid poems. Doing laundry is definitely a more appropriate hobby for a lowborn commoner like her... Who does Gloria think she is?!

Blood surges to your cheeks. Your sister will be very upset... You have to stop your elder brother! On the other hand, maybe it would be better to let Mother deal with this? But what if Stephan started calling you a little snitch again? You might even get in trouble yourself.

What should you do?

541f6a708c0e03ec3c1ca099fa8164e9fb292904.png

Your options are:

1. Call out to Stephan and threaten to tell everything to Father
2. Cry out for Mother
3. Forget what you’ve just seen and go back inside the house

Don't forget to leave a comment specifying the path you would choose & share this post - as soon as we get at least 50 replies, we’ll make a new post, describing the consequences based on the choice made by the majority of respondents!

Finish the Story — Stephan’s Prank Finale
Let’s find out what happened next
Hello, Honorable Steamers!

A few days ago, we launched the “Finish the Story — Stephan’s Prank" contest where we shared a short snippet of Sir Brante’s biography with you, providing three options of possible actions to choose from.

The majority of participants voted to “Call out to Stephan and threaten to tell everything to Father,” so let’s find out what happened next!

You bear down on Stephan.

“Stephan, what is that you are doing? Stop right now or I’ll tell everything to Father! He will give it to you hot and strong when he comes back!”

Stephan shivers and his eyes light up with sparks. He approaches you and wipes his dirty hands right on your shirt.

“You’re as miserable as your lowborn sister... Try it, you little rascal, and maybe next time you’ll find that favorite book of yours in the fireplace. Don’t you get it? The Twin Gods decree that the commoners’ Lot is to work hard, not to waste time on writing poems. I’ve done this for her own good!”

f21b9b399cbe98514a26eee4e3740811fa294f1a.jpg

Telltale tears start to flow down your cheeks. You run back home to change clothes and hide your favorite book in a safe place, but knock against your Mother before you can make it up the stairs. She looks down at your dirty shirt and a shadow of concern runs over her face.

“What happened, my son? Did someone hurt you?”

Choked with emotions, you tell her everything, and Mother’s face grows dark.

“Gloria promised me to stop, and Stephan...The Twins know, I never meant to cause my family any trouble. We all need to follow our Lots... Here’s what we will do, son: go to your room and get ready for dinner, and I’ll talk to your Father myself.”

At dinner, you patiently wait to hear Father’s stories about the marvels of Eterna, but everyone keeps an awkward silence. You notice that your Father seems uptight and irritated, while Gloria’s face is tear-stained, and Stephan occasionally throws you these frowning looks across the table.

It seems that members of your family grow more distant from each other with each passing day. What does the future hold for the Brantes?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1272160/view/3061854440072346540

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante will be out on Steam on March 4th.

Thank you sincerely for your interest in the free version of the game and all the reviews you have left. We read every single one of them! Your feedback not only helped other Steam members make an informed decision whether it was worth playing the game or not, but also served as a great source of inspiration for the new trailer.

Check it out:

If you would like to be directly notified upon the game’s release, please click the “Set a reminder” button and choose the preferred method of notification.

The next month will be a challenging one, but there is something you can do to help us – we would greatly appreciate it if you could help us spread the word about the upcoming release! If you follow any streamers or youtubers who dig narrative-driven games, please tell them about The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante.

You can also retweet our release date announcement and wishlist the game (if you haven’t already done so) or share it with your friends and fellow gamers (there will be a nice discount at launch).

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If they're gonna go with the Darkest Dungeon vibe they need to find a better voice actor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom