Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2020

Ladies and gentlemen, once again it is time!

The voting for the RPG Codex's 2020 GOTY poll is now open: VOTE HERE

It goes without saying that 2020 wasn't the best of years, but we still got a decent offering in titles like Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk, Troubleshooters and Horizon's Gate. Is up to you to help sort them out and figure what's worthy of a closer look. Since we barely had any DLC/Expansion this year besides Outer Worlds and Borderlands, we'll skip the category this year - we'll just rate the year's best RPGs and the best ports/remasters.

The poll is long, with over 70 games, but just scroll past all the games you didn't play and focus on the ones you did.

I'll run the poll for 1 week, until Jan 17, at 12:00 JST. Results should come out a few days later.

Cheers!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children and The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk are better games than any proper CRPG released in 2020.

Troubleshooter is a turn-based party-based tactics game that combines well-designed combat mechanics with an intricate character customization system, although the characters themselves are pre-defined. There is no exploration, with each mission taking place on a battlefield that constitutes a separate zone, but it adds extensive character customization/progression RPG elements to equipment and inventory. Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is similar, in being a turn-based party-based tactics game with well-designed combat mechanics and a skill/perk tree for each character (also pre-defined). Unlike Troubleshooter, it presents a pretense of exploration, with the dungeon existing as a large environment in which the player actually moves the party in real-time in between fights, but there is little to do outside combat and no real logistics or puzzles. Both Troubleshooter and Naheulbeuk are fundamentally tactics games with the addition of character progression/customization, and therefore fall into the hybrid genre often referred to (erroneously) as SRPGs.

Z6Xqdt4.gif

Tigranes

Arcane
Christ, this is 2006 level bad.

Haven't played any of this. Troubleshooter might unironically be the pick, I just still haven't started it because of Underrail...

Gregz

Arcane
felipepepe

So, out of curiosity, I clicked on the poll again after submitting my votes. My previous entries are not there.

Does this mean someone could spam the poll 50 times if they wanted to? Did clicking the link a second time nullify my votes?

Please explain.

Vatnik Wumao
I'm kinda dissapointed that you've included Empire of Sin of all things, but not Suzerain.
Isn't that basically a strategy/visual novel?
Eh, I don't want to open the can of worms of what constitutes an RPG. It has a customizable protagonist in terms of backstory (which impacts the game, including starting wealth - wealth having a numeric value and being integrated into the gameplay) and a decent amount of C&C which is tied not only to singular choices, but to variables tracked throughout the whole game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe

So, out of curiosity, I clicked on the poll again after submitting my votes. My previous entries are not there.

Does this mean someone could spam the poll 50 times if they wanted to? Did clicking the link a second time nullify my votes?

Please explain.
It's the same system I've been using since 2014, this was explained dozens of times already... the poll doesn't require login, so it doesn't save your vote for editing. But you're not supposed to keep editing your vote anyway, if you need to change something, tell me your vote and I'll erase the first one.

In theory you could indeed vote 50 times, and some assholes do that, but there are ways to spot it & prevent it.

Harthwain

Magister
It goes without saying that 2020 wasn't the best of years
That's an understatement. I get the "Tactics is the new RPG" slogan now.

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children and The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk are better games than any proper CRPG released in 2020.
I need to check out this Troubleshooter and I played Nachuibek (I agree it's very decent, for a RPG-themed tactical game), but what's your opinion on Wasteland 3?

Vatnik Wumao

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm kinda dissapointed that you've included Empire of Sin of all things, but not Suzerain.
Suzerain is a Disco Elysium-like Choose Your Own Adventure with almost nothing in the way of stats, no combat (that the player engages in), and no exploration, but it is nonetheless included in the General RPG Discussion forum because it identifies itself as an RPG.

0fzVG8g.png

Vatnik Wumao
Suzerain is a Disco Elysium-like Choose Your Own Adventure with almost nothing in the way of stats
It tracks several numerical variables, including expendable ones such as budget and wealth + positive, neutral and negative modifiers that come into play within state management (and some variables in turn condition others).
ss_4f220df8b77284052c18599b6891fe49d43ce87c.1920x1080.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's the same system I've been using since 2014
In theory you could indeed vote 50 times, and some assholes do that
if people keep abusing it, why haven't you changed the system?
Google sheets is easy, fast and decently reliable. I tried doing a voting that required you to be logged in the Codex, but that took way longer and requires tempting the gods by asking DU to do it for me. And the results were basically the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom