Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

GrainWetski

Arcane
Going through that just reinforced this as one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, years for RPGs. to be fair, it's the same for games in general, but Jesus Christ what a sad list of games..

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As usual, there is not a single game in the list that I've played.
Kept scrolling and scrolling... played 1 game that came out in 2020. Last year was the pits, dude...
Haven't played a single game that came out in 2020 and you can't force me!
jfc 2020 was pure decline. I played one game on that list; I gave it a 1.
OK, I didn't play any of this and I don't regret.
I've been stuck at home doing practically nothing but playing games for the past year and I've only played one game on that list.. :lol:
Well that was depressing, couldn't find a single game I played in this list :negative:
Didn't play a single one on that list.
Didn't finish any of the list games, can't believe 2020 was this bland.
1524229979mpkdw.jpg

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am SHOCKED and APPALLED that Rance 01 + 02 didn't make it to the poll.
The elections are clearly stolen and rigged.

Maxie

and rightfully so, they're a far cry from the best entries in the series

Maxie

and rightfully so, they're a far cry from the best entries in the series

Given how dry this year has been, even 5D would be a strong contender for the GOTY.
it's not the case that years are getting dry, it's that codexers despite the pretense of being some sort of rpg fanatics barely play anything new

Where's Fates of Ort? :decline:
SteamSpy shows 1843 games with "RPG" tag were released in 2020. Sorry, but I can't possibly list all of them.

I sympathize, but it's not the greatest look when you have Marvel's Avengers on your poll but not some isometric RPG. It doesn't cost money to add games to this...
You don't get it, even if it sucks Marvel's Avengers was one of the biggest games of the year. Fates of Ort is one of dozens of tiny isometric RPGs with a handful of reviews on Steam. If I start adding those AND obscure Ultima-clones AND every game made by someone from the Codex, that poll would easily list hundreds of games and be unusable.

Since when "biggest games of the year" * means anything to the Codex? I come to Codex to get opinions of people who like me love RPGs very much, play them a lot and analyze every detail about them, not to take into account what shallow mainstream journalists and casuals think. Polls should be used to help find hidden gems.

* big by the means of branding, marketing budget and journos feeling obligation to support big companies. Nothing more than typical neoliberal tricks to make shit popular. Nothing to see here.

V_K

Arcane
Besides, "actually appeal to the Codexer"? Fates of Ort has a tiny 2 page thread with like 5 people discussing it, with comments like "an ok game, but not much of an RPG." Sorry if I think that rating one of biggest AAA flops of the year is more interesting than this.
Yet you have Bloodlust 2 in there, whose thread hasn't even reached 2 pages. Also, let's not pretend your list had any sort of quality control to it with such amazing titles as Amazing Cultivation Simulator, Sword Art Online or Signs of the Sojourner (literally, what?) included.
It's not that I care about Fates of Ort so much. It's just your attitude in this matter stinks.

Everybody vote Marvel Avengers. I did. I haven't played it but it's Marvel so it must be good. Let's make it Codex GOTY 2020, a year we'll never forget.
Would still be a better result than last year.

mondblut

Arcane
we still got a decent offering in titles like Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk, Troubleshooters and Horizon's Gate.

...who?

Not a single title in the list rings any bells (except for Wasteland, I guess). Nor invokes any impulse to change that, from their weeaboo or retarded titles alone. How about we agree that Wasteland 3 wins by the virtue of being the only RPG that bothered to show up, and move along?

Mortmal

Arcane
As usual, there is not a single game in the list that I've played.
Kept scrolling and scrolling... played 1 game that came out in 2020. Last year was the pits, dude...
Haven't played a single game that came out in 2020 and you can't force me!
jfc 2020 was pure decline. I played one game on that list; I gave it a 1.
OK, I didn't play any of this and I don't regret.
I've been stuck at home doing practically nothing but playing games for the past year and I've only played one game on that list.. :lol:
Well that was depressing, couldn't find a single game I played in this list :negative:
Didn't play a single one on that list.
Didn't finish any of the list games, can't believe 2020 was this bland.
1524229979mpkdw.jpg

Still that wont prevent them to stand firmly ,like proud grognards against decline, vote 1 on everything, then be immensily butthurt when felipepe remove their enlightened opinions from the poll.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Note of the Outskirts (aka "Cryptrat's game, I guess") is an excellent dungeon crawler, with a brilliant character system, engaging combat and devilish dungeon design similar to early Wizardry and Might & Magic. But no, we gotta give the (limited but not really) spots to shitty games that flopped and that nobody here cares about, because they have a bigger marketing department. Fuck off.

mondblut

Arcane
Where's Fates of Ort? :decline:
SteamSpy shows 1843 games with "RPG" tag were released in 2020. Sorry, but I can't possibly list all of them.

I sympathize, but it's not the greatest look when you have Marvel's Avengers on your poll but not some isometric RPG. It doesn't cost money to add games to this...
You don't get it, even if it sucks Marvel's Avengers was one of the biggest games of the year. Fates of Ort is one of dozens of tiny isometric RPGs with a handful of reviews on Steam. If I start adding those AND obscure Ultima-clones AND every game made by someone from the Codex, that poll would easily list hundreds of games and be unusable.

Ur mom is one of the biggest games of the year. You could have started by filtering the list for actual RPGs, not random trash.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's a big difference between multiple people saying "game X is missing" and one dude going "I played Y for a while, was ok". We would have hundreds of games, it would be a mess. We're rating the most relevant games of the year, not every title released.
While I understand your reasoning here, the execution is still flawed. Yeah, ok, one guy asked for an obscure RPG. But on the other hand who asked for Marvel's Avengers to be on this list? No one? I can appreciate the challenges of trying to add each and every obscure release into a poll, but on the other hand you're not serving anyone with half measures either. Anyone attempting to make an RPG Codex GOTY list should by now know the challenges of such a thing in the first place. Maybe you'll never please everyone, but it's better to try than to make something that everyone thinks is a joke. Unless that's the intention.

V_K

Arcane
Note of the Outskirts (aka "Cryptrat's game, I guess") is an excellent dungeon crawler, with a brilliant character system, engaging combat and devilish dungeon design similar to early Wizardry and Might & Magic. But no, we gotta give the (limited but not really) spots to shitty games that flopped and that nobody here cares about, because they have a bigger marketing department. Fuck off.
Given that it was released a day before New Year, only two people here gave it a go and neither of them has finished it yet, I think it'd be better to include it in the next year's poll.
Only problem is, it won't be.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Polls should be used to help find hidden gems.
Which is what I've always done with these polls, it's why the poll has 70+ games.

But for the nth time, there were 1800+ RPGs released this year. If I add every game that someone in the Codex played for a while and "it was ok", it becomes a useless & bloated list. Maybe for you the right umber would be 80 games, or 100 or 1000. I did 70.

Yet you have Bloodlust 2 in there, whose thread hasn't even reached 2 pages. Also, let's not pretend your list had any sort of quality control to it with such amazing titles as Amazing Cultivation Simulator, Sword Art Online or Signs of the Sojourner (literally, what?) included. It's not that I care about Fates of Ort so much. It's just your attitude in this matter stinks.
Bloodlust 2 has more & better reviews than Fates of Ort and it's a sequel to a game that the Codex was very interested in, we even interviewed the dev. Amazing Cultivation Simulator has more than 11,000 reviews on Steam, rated Very Positive and it's on the Wishlist of a lot of Codexers. I'm putting it for vote because I want to see what's the consensus around it, seems more interesting than voting on the game 5 people played and called it "ok".

As every curator work, it has a lot of subjectivity. The problem is people thinking that their personal taste in how to do this is 100% objective and superior just because they don't like game X or prefer game Y.

Maybe you'll never please everyone, but it's better to try than to make something that everyone thinks is a joke.
Or maybe I'm already pleased and don't care about pleasing others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom