Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Or maybe I'm already pleased and don't care about pleasing others.
So it's just ego stroking and not a poll to serve the Codex, then? Gotcha.
There's no Codex hivemind, there's hundreds of people who vote every year and enjoy my polls and there's the butthurt brigade who post the same drivel every year.

If you think I'm not "serving the Codex", feel free to make your poll. In this I respect fantadomat for being the only one who actually did his own thing instead of just whining every fucking year.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's the same system I've been using since 2014
In theory you could indeed vote 50 times, and some assholes do that
if people keep abusing it, why haven't you changed the system?
Google sheets is easy, fast and decently reliable. I tried doing a voting that required you to be logged in the Codex, but that took way longer and requires tempting the gods by asking DU to do it for me. And the results were basically the same.
It's possible to create a poll like this where being logged in (to your Google account) is required. Here is an example: https://forms.gle/sxXGHFw3GfkWjvMG9

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just as I thought this shit is advertised on Twitter, and since every person registered there is a retard, we'll surely get a great RPG Codex poll...:deadhorse:
y9l7G0R.png

V_K

Arcane
As every curator work, it has a lot of subjectivity. The problem is people thinking that their personal taste in how to do this is 100% objective and superior just because they don't like game X or prefer game Y.
Don't call it a "Codex GOTY" then if it's merely "Felipe's list of game he would like to have rated".

Which is what I've always done with these polls, it's why the poll has 70+ games.

But for the nth time, there were 1800+ RPGs released this year. If I add every game that someone in the Codex played for a while and "it was ok", it becomes a useless & bloated list. Maybe for you the right umber would be 80 games, or 100 or 1000. I did 70.

Alright, but for what exact purpose you have included that Marvel game? I don't have problem with you excluding any game, because I didn't do any selection for 2020 and I don't have anything I consider a gem that was excluded.

See, my real problem is that I feel that a game with big budget gets a special treatment. And I am tired of corporations getting special treatment. Really tired. So tired that if I got a genie wish, I wouldn't use it for myself, although I wish a lot, but I would use it to end neoliberalism for good.

Just as I thought this shit is advertised on Twitter, and since every person registered there is a retard, we'll surely get a great RPG Codex poll...:deadhorse:
y9l7G0R.png

Disagree. Would be surprised if there were many non RPG connoisseurs who follow Felipepe on twitter.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Going through that just reinforced this as one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, years for RPGs. to be fair, it's the same for games in general, but Jesus Christ what a sad list of games..
I'm gonna guess you weren't gaming in the mid 2000s... go take a look at 2005's RPGs.
Jade Empire, Dungeon Siege 2, Beyond Divinity, Freedom Force, Gothic 2 Expansion got an english release, Kotor2 got released outside kwa* and possibly some other stuff I'm missing. And look, none of these are great RPGs, being various flavors of jank. I am especially seeing a lack of any sort of turn based RPGs. But I'd still take kotor2 over any of the RPGs released this year. 2020 was a bad year for RPGs but it is possible Cyberpunk will be redeemed** as it gets patched up (kotor2 and bloodlines got a lot better with time after all).

*Remember that this was before digital distribution was common, so it kinda matters. Also what a fucking bad time that was eh?
** I Haven't played it, but it looks like it might grow a following with time and patches.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Alright, but for what exact purpose you have included that Marvel game?
Same reason why I've included games like Anthem, Cyberpunk, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, etc... so people could fucking vote on it.

It's a poll FFS, if you think it's crap you vote that it's crap. If it's such a shitty game then it might be voted the worst RPG of the year. Do you think that's a fantastic special treatment I gave Bethesda, to highlight Fallout 76 as the worst RPG of 2018?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Going through that just reinforced this as one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, years for RPGs. to be fair, it's the same for games in general, but Jesus Christ what a sad list of games..
I'm gonna guess you weren't gaming in the mid 2000s... go take a look at 2005's RPGs.

I look at 2005 and I see Guild Wars. This probably makes 2005 better for RPGs than the entire last decade put together.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No DLC? That means I have nothing to vote on. The only 2020 release I played was Battle Brothers - Blazing Deserts.

Citizen

I don't think Hades is an RPG, but if even totally unrelated shit like avengers is included in this depressing poll, than gib Hades too, so I have at least one good game to vote for

Lilliput McHammersmith

There is no exploration

Then to the trash bin it goes.

If I wanted to play a tactics game without exploration, there is a genre that pisses upon retarded kiddie non-genre of "SRPGs" from a mountain a mile high. It's called wargames.
Wargames are great, no argument from me there, but typically wargames have you command a large force of squadrons. The scale is much larger.

SRPGs are more like JA2, or SS2, where you command a large group of individual soldiers.

I personally enjoy the more “zoomed-in” experience where you can command the individual soldiers, rather than a full platoon at once.

Side note: if you know of any wargames that are more “zoomed-in”, I would love to hear about them.

Alright, but for what exact purpose you have included that Marvel game?
Same reason why I've included games like Anthem, Cyberpunk, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, etc... so people could fucking vote on it.

It's a poll FFS, if you think it's crap you vote that it's crap. If it's such a shitty game then it might be voted the worst RPG of the year. Do you think that's a fantastic special treatment I gave Bethesda, to highlight Fallout 76 as the worst RPG of 2018?

I think that Bethesda and Bioware are included for historical reasons to show everyone the extant of their decline and to get a cathartic feeling of voting down something that mainstream tries to sell as great RPGs for the modern age.

Marvel Avengers was made by Tomb Raider devs. No historical buthurt here, noone tries to sell this a an evolution of RPG genre or RPG GOTY.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think Hades is an RPG, but if even totally unrelated shit like avengers is included in this depressing poll, than gib Hades too, so I have at least one good game to vote for

More of an RPG than half the shit on that list in all honesty.

Ruzen

Savant
Horizon Zero Dawn for 2020
it doesn't have the best sounds but I liked the lore and action.
It was also difficult on hard so that's a plus.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cold steel
Horizon
Utawarerumono (barely an RPG even for jrpg standard)
Fae tactics (surprisingly good!!)
Vaporum lockdown

Those are the ones i played and good.

Jesus what a bad year all around. I haven't played w3, but barely any crpg, but jrpg wise or tactics is decent i guess.

Goldschmidt

Learned
it's not the case that years are getting dry, it's that codexers despite the pretense of being some sort of rpg fanatics barely play anything new

That is because we are oldfags, it is true; at least I am an oldfag. I rather see some cuck streaming it on twitch than playing it myself. Saves me a lot of money and time. End conclusion is the same nevertheless: modern singleplayer rpg too emoji-popamole.

Maxie

it's not the case that years are getting dry, it's that codexers despite the pretense of being some sort of rpg fanatics barely play anything new

That is because we are oldfags, it is true; at least I am an oldfag. I rather see some cuck streaming it on twitch than playing it myself. Saves me a lot of money and time. End conclusion is the same nevertheless: modern singleplayer rpg too emoji-popamole.
you know i can just look up your posting history to see you play path of exile and pillars of eternity right

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decided to check out one of the dozens of games I've never heard of but which nonetheless are deemed worthy of inclusion in the OFFICIAL(tm) GOTY poll:

fqjA5Nq.png

Zero indication that anyone here has even played the game. Nobody is interested in it, it got zero votes in fanta's poll and it will get zero votes now. You refuse to include games that "someone in the Codex played for a while and 'it was ok'", but every single one of them has a better bid for a spot than this thing. And that's not even the worst example from your poll.

You can dismiss this as butthurt as much as you like, but there's no getting around what a few others have observed already, which is that this is nothing more than the "games felipepepe would like to see the codex rate" poll. If that's what you want, move this thread to GRPG and add "(Not the official GOTY)" to the title, so it's on equal footing with fanta's poll. You know, I generally like you as a poster and appreciate the effort you've put into these things over the years, but you're getting to be one of those typical modders who fly into a rage whenever someone questions their decision to add a constipation system into their precious Skyrim mod baby, because they've worked really really hard on it guize! And you can fuck off with your "if you don't like it make your own" bullshit. A bad job is a bad job. This is the Codex, expect scrutiny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom