Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

grimace

Arcane
There is one more rpg I played this year that I did not see in the lists, it is the Dark Crystal Tactics And while that surprised me a bit with being significantly more than just soulless advertising shovelware, I would still be the only one who has actually played it together with grimace.

Dark Crystal Tactics has actual game play!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Last year, I couldn't vote for SaGa: Scarlet Grace for that reason. Felipe was also unwilling to add it to the poll, which was a shame.

:what:

felipepepe explain yourself, SaGa is some of the most interesting and hardcore shit to come out of Japan ever.
How come you have never heard of it, let alone didn't approve it? This is more egregious than all of this nonissue drama here.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
if there is no codex thread (with X posts/pages) in GRPG about a game, why should it be in the "codex GOTY" poll?
so he can shill the poll on his trannycord

Note how the winners for the last couple of years have all been acceptable games for the twitterverse.

I'm sure sharing anonymous polls with twitter doesn't have anything to do with the questionable results.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

The game is actually not that awfull. It does some cute things, like having quite a few non human (gelfling?) characters, which progress differently from humans and use their own unique classes.
I gave it 3/4 on this list since this is a generous year where one has to cherish the few decent rpgs given, and I might write a small review when I finish it.
Also the difficulty is quite nicely tuned. Despite doing a few things to break it, of which there are many, the difficulty keeps up on hard.
If you do not take any optional repeatable battles to grind xp the quest bosses become tough soon. I restart most maps at least once.
It has some harsh design flaws like the puzzle maps tho.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why are jrpg in a different sub-forum if we're including them in a RPG Goty?
Is it JRPG Codex now?

Having action games in the poll is bad enough, now JRPG and VN...
The good news is we hit the bottom last year, it can't get worse.
Yeah, turn-based RPGs from Japan definitely aren't more fitting for the list than action games, FPS and 'roguelites'. Roguelites being just action games with permadeath 99.9999999999999999% of the time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last year, I couldn't vote for SaGa: Scarlet Grace for that reason. Felipe was also unwilling to add it to the poll, which was a shame.

:what:

felipepepe explain yourself, SaGa is some of the most interesting and hardcore shit to come out of Japan ever.
How come you have never heard of it, let alone didn't approve it? This is more egregious than all of this nonissue drama here.
Steam showed it as a release from the previous year, because it released a year earlier in Japan. There was no distinction of Japanese or English version on the store page. I told Felipe about it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There is one more rpg I played this year that I did not see in the lists, it is the Dark Crystal Tactics And while that surprised me a bit with being significantly more than just soulless advertising shovelware, I would still be the only one who has actually played it together with grimace.

Dark Crystal Tactics has actual game play!
Another game bought, installed, watched the boot up... drank a beer and powered down the computer. I played more Covid-19 the game than anything.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
If nothing else this poll has shown to me the virtues of the chad 1-4 rating system over the virgin 1-5 by forcing me to admit that in my heart of hearts, Phoenix Point just isn't very good.

Wanted to give it 3/4 because I like the genre and it has some good ideas but I couldn't lie to the poll, I stopped playing it after a few hours and have no desire to resume my game. Other then the aiming at bodyparts gimmick there is nothing to make me want to stick with it, would rather switch to an xcom extended mod or xenonauts if I wanted a more traditional xcom game, or firaxis xcom 2 if I want to dabble with classes and soldier customization.

Seems troubleshooter ended up being my GOTY choice.

Last edited:
Why are jrpg in a different sub-forum if we're including them in a RPG Goty?
Is it JRPG Codex now?

Having action games in the poll is bad enough, now JRPG and VN...
The good news is we hit the bottom last year, it can't get worse.
I don't really care because you can only discuss RPG subgenres for so long before you want to cry. If you think a game is decline just rate them 0/10, done.

to5b4ku.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just as I thought this shit is advertised on Twitter, and since every person registered there is a retard, we'll surely get a great RPG Codex poll...:deadhorse:
y9l7G0R.png
Why advertise a Codex poll outside the Codex -- Twitter of all places, jfc -- gathering data from non-Codex members and publishing the results as the Codex's official game of the year?
:retarded:

It should be scrapped and started over, preferably with a members only poll.

Codex ratings shouldn't be tainted by filthy le redditors or twitter degenerates.

it's not the first time felipe linked the codex GOTY poll on twitter anyway:

And it's also been tweeted by the official twitter account:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Zero indication that anyone here has even played the game. Nobody is interested in it, it got zero votes in fanta's poll and it will get zero votes now. You refuse to include games that "someone in the Codex played for a while and 'it was ok'", but every single one of them has a better bid for a spot than this thing. And that's not even the worst example from your poll.

You can dismiss this as butthurt as much as you like, but there's no getting around what a few others have observed already, which is that this is nothing more than the "games felipepepe would like to see the codex rate" poll. If that's what you want, move this thread to GRPG and add "(Not the official GOTY)" to the title, so it's on equal footing with fanta's poll. You know, I generally like you as a poster and appreciate the effort you've put into these things over the years, but you're getting to be one of those typical modders who fly into a rage whenever someone questions their decision to add a constipation system into their precious Skyrim mod baby, because they've worked really really hard on it guize! And you can fuck off with your "if you don't like it make your own" bullshit. A bad job is a bad job. This is the Codex, expect scrutiny.
I've added it because it was on fanta's poll. He actually puts some effort into organizing his own poll, so I've added all the games he listed - as I pointed out in the very first post here.

I've been doing this since 2014, EVERY YEAR we have the same drama, with the butthurt brigade going "lol shit year shit poll didn't play anything felipe is a cuck" and then trying to pile up on whatever criticism someone raise that looks strong enough. We did over bayesian averages, we did it over closed voting, over if "Disco Elysium is not an RPG", etc. Just look at this retarded twitter drama when we always have tweeted the poll, even back in Crooked Bee's days.

So far, criticism this year are:

1 - Avengers should not be on the list, apparently we can only rate bad RPGs from BioWare & Bethesda
2 - Games like Dead Cells were never considered RPG but now Hades should be
3 - In reducing 1800 RPGs to 70, I've left some games out

1 and 2 I'll ignore. 3 is always a problem, every year we have issues with how hard it is to add all games. Last year there was the issue with SaGa: Scarlet Grace, that was released on Japan's Steam in 2018 but in the west in 2019. Abu Antar pointed it out, but was already days into the voting process IIRC, adding it would make the game look bad so I mentioned it in the results post instead.

There's just too many games, there will always be someone going "I didn't see this before but I played X and it was cool", even if we do a curation thread. Hell, the Top 70 vote ran FOR A MONTH, with you being able to submit any game you like, and we still had people angry that they missed the thread and their game wasn't there. No one even suggested any of these games at Fanta's poll in the entire month the thread was there. Besides, if you insist on adding every single game that vaguely interests someone, the poll will have hundreds of games, it will be a pain to create, vote & check. Not to mention the whole discussion on whether suggested game X is an RPG or not, the trolls suggesting My Little Pony: The Game and what not.

I've been extremely open with how my poll works, every year I post the full excel file with all the votes to check and do whatever other calculation system you prefer. And it's the best voting system around BY FAR, go check the RPG Watch or other forums to see the shitshow they do there. So, unless there's an actual solution to improving things instead of "I prefer my subjective criteria than your subjective criteria", I'll keep running it this way.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keeping it inhouse is still the best way to go. Do a nomination thread, then do a voting thread. No google bullshit. Troll posts are fairly simple to rule out. That way everyone gets to vote for whatever game they want. There will always be people that will bitch and moan, but ths way, their complaints are invalid.

Take for example Nox Archaist and Realms of Antiquity, both released very late in the year. I'll get both, but I'm waiting for Steam/GGG release. I can see why not many people haven't bought them yet, if they are like me.

There is nothing wrong with listening to suggestions, even if a lot of people write in an angry tone.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
1 - Avengers should not be on the list, apparently we can only rate bad RPGs from BioWare & Bethesda
2 - Games like Dead Cells were never considered RPG but now Hades should be
3 - In reducing 1800 RPGs to 70, I've left some games out
4. Soliciting responses from people outside the Codex for a Codex-branded poll.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Keeping it inhouse is still the best way to go. Do a nomination thread, then do a voting thread. No google bullshit. Troll posts are fairly simple to rule out. That way everyone gets to vote for whatever game they want. There will always be people that will bitch and moan, but ths way, their complaints are invalid.
The Top 70 & 101 were done that way, it takes days to do all the counting & checking and we still have problems with alts, trolls votes and people bitching & moaning. I'm not willing to put all that work into it every year, if you are be my guest.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Horizon's Gate is the only one I've played, and it's a really good game.

Highly recommend its predecessors -- Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics -- as well.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Can I vote for The Witcher 3 for GOTY?

You know, there is Witcher with vikings and Witcher with guns on the list and I dont vote for DLC, that is unfair.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah I'm not reading through that wall of text, it's just unappealing. Much rather there was a poll here on the forums, using forum tools.

Or may as well just go with Fanta's list since he can be bothered to use forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom