Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Keeping it inhouse is still the best way to go. Do a nomination thread, then do a voting thread. No google bullshit. Troll posts are fairly simple to rule out. That way everyone gets to vote for whatever game they want. There will always be people that will bitch and moan, but ths way, their complaints are invalid.
The Top 70 & 101 were done that way, it takes days to do all the counting & checking and we still have problems with alts, trolls votes and people bitching & moaning. I'm not willing to put all that work into it every year, if you are be my guest.
BTW, no, scrap that. Just remembered that open voting on the forum thread voting has one HUGE downside that was very visible during the non-RPG vote: people can easily see all the votes and count them mid-voting.

So in the last day of voting they can go "Game A has 5 points more than Game B, if some of us edit our votes we can change the results", which was exactly what people started doing in that poll.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
All (that I've played) but Wasteland 3 were given 1s.

2020 was a shit year for a lot of things.

fork

Keeping it inhouse is still the best way to go. Do a nomination thread, then do a voting thread. No google bullshit. Troll posts are fairly simple to rule out. That way everyone gets to vote for whatever game they want. There will always be people that will bitch and moan, but ths way, their complaints are invalid.
The Top 70 & 101 were done that way, it takes days to do all the counting & checking and we still have problems with alts, trolls votes and people bitching & moaning. I'm not willing to put all that work into it every year, if you are be my guest.
BTW, no, scrap that. Just remembered that open voting on the forum thread voting has one HUGE downside that was very visible during the non-RPG vote: people can easily see all the votes and count them mid-voting.

So in the last day of voting they can go "Game A has 5 points more than Game B, if some of us edit our votes we can change the results", which was exactly what people started doing in that poll.

Which is still better than letting twittertards, or everyone who gets sent the link, vote in the poll.

mondblut

Arcane
Wargames are great, no argument from me there, but typically wargames have you command a large force of squadrons. The scale is much larger.

SRPGs are more like JA2, or SS2, where you command a large group of individual soldiers.

I personally enjoy the more “zoomed-in” experience where you can command the individual soldiers, rather than a full platoon at once.

But it's literally just a picture. Why would it matter whether the unit you control is called "John Doe" or "B company 3rd platoon" as long as the game behaves the same?

Side note: if you know of any wargames that are more “zoomed-in”, I would love to hear about them.

Unless it's an actual RPG with freedom of exploration, quests, lockpicking treasure chests and generally shit to do in between combat encounters (ie JA2), any tactical games are subset of wargames.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Which is still better than letting twittertards, or everyone who gets sent the link, vote in the poll.
Voter ID is racist my man. Now me and my dog can vote for the objectively best RPGs as intended. Just because he's a dog and doesn't have a Codex account that doesn't mean he isn't eligible to have an opinion and a vote.

Ya'll are being whiny about not having to show ID when what really matters is who counts the votes. In my colleague Fantadomat's top tier poll everyone could check the results themselves. That's transparency, plain and simple, you count the votes yourself. That albino BR sexpat ain't gonna tell you that he deleted my vote from the equation since he didn't like it, with the excuse that it was tRoLlY or some other racist shit. The real the problem with this kind of poll is that it relies too heavily on the human factor. After deleting all the votes that he doesn't approve of at all he will employ math tricks to make the poll say what he wants it to say. That's why he keeps changing the way of producing results each year, you can go back and check for yourself. Wouldn't matter if you had to be signed into the Codex before opening that link to the poll under these circumstances.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
felipepepe Trials of Mana is from fucking 1995 you dumb cunt, it belongs in the remakes section.

If that is a problem Langrisser 1 & 2 and Wasteland remastered would be just as much of an issue.

After having the full list 2020 wasn't that bad, Langrisser, Trials of Mana and hylics 2 are pretty cool games.

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm kinda dissapointed that you've included Empire of Sin of all things, but not Suzerain.
Isn't that basically a strategy/visual novel?
Suzerain is a Disco Elysium-like Choose Your Own Adventure with almost nothing in the way of stats
It tracks several numerical variables, including expendable ones such as budget and wealth + positive, neutral and negative modifiers that come into play within state management (and some variables in turn condition others).
ss_4f220df8b77284052c18599b6891fe49d43ce87c.1920x1080.jpg

It really needs to be added since there is stuff like Phoenix Point on the list.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't really care because you can only discuss RPG subgenres for so long before you want to cry. If you think a game is decline just rate them 0/10, done.

But i can't, i can only give a 1/4 to 4/4 rating.

Top 101 is a disgrace and even the Top 70 shows signs of decline if not outsiders retardation.

Tossed my vote in. Kinda sad since I only had 3 games I'd played, and only felt like giving 2 and 3 scores for all of 'em. Still some shit I'd like to check out like Dungeon of Nebiejeujzleiohu but I wasn't interested enough to grab it this year at the prices it's been. Kinda interested in Nox Archaist too but it's on the back burner since there's Cyberpunk to be played.

:kingcomrade:

Kinda interested in Nox Archaist too but it's on the back burner since there's Cyberpunk to be played.
id say to reverse your order

Still got a while until it's released on Steam. Perfect for playing more Cyberpunk!
(Plus I swore a blood oath to my buddy I'd try out the Yakuza series after Cyberpunk so technically Nox is getting pushed back further)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nobody is interested in it, it got zero votes in fanta's poll and it will get zero votes now.
To be honest here mate,interest is not an indicator for the quality of the game. There is plenty of good games that go under the radar for sure......like lawless land or Vagrus The Riven Realms.

That said,i do agree with you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh it is a good list,but it does lack a quality control. You can't just put any shit in a goty list because it will become cluttered mess,a bit of moderation is needed.

You've said this over and over, mate. It's getting tiring. I've spent a lot of time on it (which I don't mind doing), but it doesn't lack curation. There are over 1000 rpgs not added to the list. If I did a list of incline games, we'd end up with 50 games, and that's not what I am going for. I understand that people only want "good" games, but thanks to the list, people have found stuff that they would otherwise not play. I am sure of it.
Don't be a butthurt bitch. What i said is true,a lot of games in that list are pretty low quality. That doesn't mean that i don't like your list or it doesn't have its uses,no need to take it as personal offence on your ass mate lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom