Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find a 90s obscure FPS game

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
if you want to do some catching up, some of the devs that made Codename: Outbreak broke off from GSC Game World and went to form Deep Shadows

they Boiling Point, which was this bugfuck insane and overly ambitious Deus Ex clone

Never heard of it. I am looking at a video of it now and it seems really cool actually. Seems like Deus Ex + Far Cry hybrid. Was it really that buggy? Well, that is probably why i never heard of it, used to rely a lot on western magazines/sites for reviews and shit, and those obvious shills would definitely use the "bugs" excuse to shit on an Ukrainian game while ignoring all the bugs on American games. They used to do that all the time back then. I remember Gothic getting a 7/10 at gamespot back then (which was really a trash score for Gamespot standards of the era).

EDIT: By the looks of it, if we count Deux Ex as an RPG, this could be included in the RPG discussions as well i think. It is not a mere FPS.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Boy, taking a long look at those oldy FPSes made me depressed for the sad state of modern single player industry. They look so much fun. They obviously have trash graphics and trash controls by modern standards by they definitely had heart back then, imagination, creativity, and cool gameplay. I am feeling the urge to download some old FPS to play. Codename: Outbreak is on gog but i don't think Boiling Point is on it.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Bonus random stuff:
Obscure First Person Shooters playlist by MarphitimusBlackimus
Dozens of "100 hidden gems" videos

DKQ-VH2WkAENbjR.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
In lieu of the online forum's success, I would like to make a similar request. I'm thinking of an RPG. It had stats. Some dialogue, like you could talk to people. You fought some things. I think it was made in the 90s, but possibly released in the 2000s. It may have been isometric, but also possibly first-person. I can't remember.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
In lieu of the online forum's success, I would like to make a similar request. I'm thinking of an RPG. It had stats. Some dialogue, like you could talk to people. You fought some things. I think it was made in the 90s, but possibly released in the 2000s. It may have been isometric, but also possibly first-person. I can't remember.

this is super vague. can you describe the setting?

sser

Arcane
Developer

this is super vague. can you describe the setting?

Speculative fiction.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Amazing game now that i am watching it. Why the fuck didn't they keep making those? Seem far too advanced as far as 2001 games go.

Yes I vividly remember that gun

it was game of the month in the gaming zine I used to read as a kid

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wait.. so which is the game you remember TemplarGR? Codename: Outbreak or Chasm: The Rift? Or did you play both and mixed them up in your memory....

Basically, the game i was looking for originally was Codename: Outbreak (an awesome game i might add now that i have seen more of it, proto-STALKER). But as i was looking for it i mentioned looking at some guy's series of videos on youtube on historic FPSes and mentioned that this list didn't seem complete because as i was looking i didn't seem to find yet another obscure FPS i remember from the era (Chasm: The rift).

filpan

Scholar
TemplarGR

Did you play Chrome from 2003? To me it is Far cry before Far cry regarding some elements. By your description from the initial post I wanted to name this game.
End of 90's and beginning of '00s had some great shooters

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
TemplarGR

Did you play Chrome from 2003? To me it is Far cry before Far cry regarding some elements. By your description from the initial post I wanted to name this game.
End of 90's and beginning of '00s had some great shooters

Yes. It was given for free via a PC Magazine and i think i completed it once. Really great game indeed. Had awesome graphics for the time, and it was actually well optimized.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Never heard of it. I am looking at a video of it now and it seems really cool actually. Seems like Deus Ex + Far Cry hybrid. Was it really that buggy?
It had some issues for sure. You can finish the game (final fight sux), at least.
Most(?) quests can be finished. And for some folks raining tanks performance even on modern PCs.
RPG elements made you a cripple even though you're former foreing legionare. Meds gets less effective the more you use them, and in that game - you get hit a lot. Get some donut instead. There are some hidden stuff that you must find out to be effective, or be prepared for a bad time.
Easy money -
find treasure in the other city, don't tell grandpa and it will respawn infinitely.

Regarding Codename - Outbreak... it might also have some bugs. Played CD and GOG version, latest is slightly better. Companion AI died in the lab somewhere in the vent system, it was 3rd mission? Oil rig - can't use items and switches. Airfield on the desert - save corruption after activating some important panel. Final hive - companion got lost and died somewhere, he was behind me and just vanished in thin air.
Some cheat if you want easy time
Switch to your companion and shoot dead bodies in the head to boost your stats significantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom