Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
Re;Birth 2 is actually pretty fucking dark if that's your thing.
Fuck cursed sword ending. And fuck Nepger or whatever was her name!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Re;Birth 2 is actually pretty fucking dark if that's your thing.
Fuck cursed sword ending. And fuck Nepger or whatever was her name!
You would really hate these shirts that I'm buying next time I get some clothes then

vp0ffy.png

dp4cm8.png

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished Yakuza 0 my second game after 7. Story was better than 7 and two main protagonists were maybe even better than Yakuza 7 cast (which was great already). Combat and minigames were not in bar with 7 (other than karaoke) but older game + not turn based so cant complain too much. Karaoke was awesome quite many memorable songs rest mini games not too great. Well hotline was entertaining first time but thats about it. Quests were fine also.

Now time for Kiwami 1 heard that it is one of the worst games in the series (Yakuza 0 and 7 were best so I have only worse games left? :?)

Something I noticed regarding Goro Majima
He keeps saying that he is not going to kill anyone but in chase sequences with blind girl he breaks like 10 necks lol

Derringer

Prophet
Have yet to play them, due to their abysmal reputation I have not played a lot of Compile Heart/IF games.
All I played were Record of Agarest War, which deserved its shitty reputation 100%, and Spectral Souls which was completely alright.
Any of them traditional turn based?
Spectral Souls is one of their best games with an English release, a lot of their stuff is just copy-pasted low-budget VNs.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Finished Yakuza 0 my second game after 7. Story was better than 7 and two main protagonists were maybe even better than Yakuza 7 cast (which was great already). Combat and minigames were not in bar with 7 (other than karaoke) but older game + not turn based so cant complain too much. Karaoke was awesome quite many memorable songs rest mini games not too great. Well hotline was entertaining first time but thats about it. Quests were fine also.

Now time for Kiwami 1 heard that it is one of the worst games in the series (Yakuza 0 and 7 were best so I have only worse games left? :?)

Something I noticed regarding Goro Majima
He keeps saying that he is not going to kill anyone but in chase sequences with blind girl he breaks like 10 necks lol

I mean kazama kiryu never killed anyone and I shot a guy driving a helicopter 20 times in the face and it crashed and exploded in a fireball so maybe the yakuza mcs are fucking delusional, man

Like Ichi doesn't seem to realize being in the Yakuza means being a fucking thug and instead beats up other criminals and does nice guy shit

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just roll with it, man.

If we can have corrupt cops, let me have bro Yakuza.

Does it make sense? No.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the game plots are basically on the levels of soap operas, and telenovellas with a splash of crime drama, complete with all the insane over the top 'twists' you get from those types of media. they aren't meant to be pulitzer prize winning masterpieces.

and that's a good thing.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
the game plots are basically on the levels of soap operas, and telenovellas with a splash of crime drama, complete with all the insane over the top 'twists' you get from those types of media. they aren't meant to be pulitzer prize winning masterpieces.

and that's a good thing.

i wasnt really complaining

Endemic

Arcane
I mean kazama kiryu never killed anyone and I shot a guy driving a helicopter 20 times in the face and it crashed and exploded in a fireball so maybe the yakuza mcs are fucking delusional, man

Perhaps, but then again,
Majima was quite willing to slit a blind woman's throat to advance back into the Yakuza ranks before his attack of moral conscience happened (to be fair, he was lied to about the hit which helped). Not to mention the reason he was tortured and demoted in the first place was ultimately due to his eagerness to massacre a group of rival Yakuza and their leader.

Yakuza Kiwami also retconned Majima killing at least one Yakuza thug as well in a cutscene.

As for Kiryu,
I feel like Yakuza 1 quite clearly makes out Kiryu to be a hypocrite and stupid for taking the fall in place of Nishiki, on top of shattering his illusions about Kazama as a father figure as well. Yes, he survives the chaos in the end, but he loses a lot along the way.

On the 'no-killing' thing, I think that would have worked fine if the stakes hadn't been continually raised throughout the series. Perhaps "no killing except against hostile gunmen in self-defence" makes more sense in the later games.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
It was a rubber weapon that triggered practical effects, the crash was in fact a controlled landing and the following explosion was just a bunch of speakers, lights and holograms. Kiryu has never killed anyone. Even that one time where it looked like it, but that doesn't count because the guy was already dead.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Kiwami 1 was quite a letdown compared to zero. Close to everything was worse from story to bosses and too much trash fighting. Kiwami 1 even made me dislike my favorite zero character Goro Majima some of time. I stopped doing quests (which were mostly similar to zero so thats a positive thing) after chapter 8 because I really did not feel like fighting Majima after 30th time and random gangs which are just a time waste. Majima scenes and surprises were great though think I watch those which I missed from YouTube.
At least leveling system was better compared to zero but thats about it.

Kiryu also had interesting decisions such as
taking a child to a whorehouse and buildings which were expected to be full of enemies :? Also Nishiki character development was quite something he went full-on retard mode

edit. Oh yeah and fuck guns and that rolling gun boss that was about the worst fight I can remember in any rpg. It was not hard just annoying

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Kiwami (and 0) expand quite a bit on Nishiki's character, because in the original Y1 there wasn't much to him before he went off the deep end.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
So I've finished 1,2 and 0 on after another. Had a blast. Should I play Like a Dragon or wait for 3,5,6. I want to avoid spoilers.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
So I've finished 1,2 and 0 on after another. Had a blast. Should I play Like a Dragon or wait for 3,5,6. I want to avoid spoilers.

Play Like a Dragon if you haven't yet. It's very good and you'll get most of the references with what you've played so far. One full playthrough should keep you entertained for 100 or so hours and by the time you're done you'll have the other games on PC. Best deal!

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik

Play Like a Dragon if you haven't yet. It's very good and you'll get most of the references with what you've played so far. One full playthrough should keep you entertained for 100 or so hours and by the time you're done you'll have the other games on PC. Best deal!
But is not the story in Like a Dradone is happening after the events of the first six games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom