Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The appeal of Skyrim

Do you like Skyrim?

• Yes, one of the best games ever made

• Yes, it was alright, but i got bored with it.

• Meh, not my type of RPG

• It was a bad RPG, didn't like it

• I am a sperg, i don't consider Skyrim to be an RPG, you fucking popamoler

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caim

Arcane
Bethesda makes good single player CRPGs.
Bethesda don't make CRPGs, they make Action-RPGs. More specifically, they make a very particular Action-RPG called Bethesda Game™. Now, sure, it might not have great RPG mechanics or plot or agency, but between an expansive, proven open-world formula and, quite possibly, the AAA sector's premier modding platform and community, I like Bethesda Game™. I can crap on its numerous flaws for hours, but I can still have plenty of fun with it for many more.
Yeah, like how Ubisoft makes the Ubisoft Sandbox.

Rafidur

Learned
I'm surprised 11% of users consider a game with bad combat, bad progression, bad enemy variety, and mediocre quest writing "one of the best games ever made".

But it's not really about the combat, progression, enemy variety, or quest writing, is it? Those are all secondary to the core of why people like Bethesda games: they're relaxed, easy-to-play excuses to roam around a fantasy landscape, see the sights, and participate in an adventure. It's one of the least diluted ways you can satisfy the same itch a lot of moviegoers felt after watching Lord of the Rings: "I'd like to go there." I don't think it's anything less or more than that, and while they're not up to the standards of other RPGs from other developers, the core gameplay loop in your average Bethesda title isn't bad enough to pull people out of that experience, especially when it's engaged with casually.

Semiurge

Cipher
Would probably still be playing it if the original version hadn't been so buggy and crash-happy. I had a good number of mods that didn't work on the special edition. I'll be honest, it was mostly for the combat, larping a vampire lord or werewolf and slaughtering bandits/marks.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Please. Check about 13min when he talks about RPG. HE nailed everything.

I'll watch it after i finish Skyrim and its DLCs (as i wrote previously while i did finish it back in 2012 or so, i forgot everything about it aside from having to do with dragons and never played the DLCs, so i'd like to avoid spoilers) but looking at that guy's other videos he does seem to have a good taste.

laclongquan

Arcane
But it's not really about the combat, progression, enemy variety, or quest writing, is it? Those are all secondary to the core of why people like Bethesda games: they're relaxed, easy-to-play excuses to roam around a fantasy landscape, see the sights, and participate in an adventure. It's one of the least diluted ways you can satisfy the same itch a lot of moviegoers felt after watching Lord of the Rings: "I'd like to go there." I don't think it's anything less or more than that, and while they're not up to the standards of other RPGs from other developers, the core gameplay loop in your average Bethesda title isn't bad enough to pull people out of that experience, especially when it's engaged with casually.

And the itch to dress up your character in different clothes (or none at all). Never underestimate that appeal~

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda don't make CRPGs, they make Action-RPGs. More specifically, they make a very particular Action-RPG called Bethesda Game™. Now, sure, it might not have great RPG mechanics or plot or agency, but between an expansive, proven open-world formula and, quite possibly, the AAA sector's premier modding platform and community, I like Bethesda Game™. I can crap on its numerous flaws for hours, but I can still have plenty of fun with it for many more.

Everyone here plays their games for a hundred hours, don't let them fool ya.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Great video. Especially the ending part, totally targeted at Codex grognards.

"more balanced"
"if you prefer morrowind or oblivion is only by nostalgia" (note : oblivion is worse than skyrim
"go for ff9" -about 1min - As if games about androgynous teenagers with oversized swords was good RPG's...
1:35 - Finally he said something good. BUGThesda intro are awful even for bugthesda's fanboys...
2 min -> He got destroyed by the frost trolls and vampires. Meanwhile, I killed a Giant at lv 3 with my firebolt spell...
3:50 min "skyrim is hard to exploit"

Watched 3 min of that video.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
"more balanced"
"if you prefer morrowind or oblivion is only by nostalgia" (note : oblivion is worse than skyrim
"go for ff9" -about 1min - As if games about androgynous teenagers with oversized swords was good RPG's...
1:35 - Finally he said something good. BUGThesda intro are awful even for bugthesda's fanboys...
2 min -> He got destroyed by the frost trolls and vampires. Meanwhile, I killed a Giant at lv 3 with my firebolt spell...
3:50 min "skyrim is hard to exploit"

Watched 3 min of that video.

If anyone looks at your post history here, all he can see is your desperate attempts at feeling superior to others and edgy. You are one insecure individual, and i would feel sorry for you if i actually gave a fuck.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If anyone looks at your post history here, all he can see is your desperate attempts at feeling superior to others and edgy. You are one insecure individual, and i would feel sorry for you if i actually gave a fuck.

Nice argument.

But only I found hilarious that you say that Skyrim is popular because is great and use "A lie does not become truth, wrong doesn't become right and evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by a majority" in your signature?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
But only I found hilarious that you say that Skyrim is popular because is great and use "A lie does not become truth, wrong doesn't become right and evil doesn't become good, just because it is accepted by a majority" in your signature?

An autist like you can't see beyond a binary system of possibilities. It is all black and white to your brain. Apparently, to you my signature means that "anything popular must suck and the masses are ALWAYS wrong". But this is not the case at all. Most of the time the masses are correct. My signature only points out the fact that the masses believing something is not by itself the sole criteria of truth.

I have never said that Skyrim is good just because the masses loved it, and for no other reason. So your comment is pointless.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It is all black and white to your brain. Apparently, to you my signature means that "anything popular must suck and the masses are ALWAYS wrong". But this is not the case at all. Most of the time the masses are correct. My signature only points out the fact that the masses believing something is not by itself the sole criteria of truth.

Strawman. I NEVER said that.

As I've said, we should judge the game according to the proposal.

Skyrim proposal is to be a open world ARPG. Did Skyrim succeeded on Action or RPG department???

Action part: 3 main styles. Melee, ranged or magical.

Melee -> fails miserably with a endless "single button spam". Due OP enchantments and percentage dam reduction, a knife is better at dealing with heavy armor than a warhammer.
Ranged -> Bow + Crossbow = Great
Magical -> Dual casting firebolt or ran out of mana extremely quickly

The "RPG" part, Skyrim lacks choice & consequence, character identity and honestly, survival games like Conan Exiles has more RPG on it than skyrim. Skyrim is inferior to other ARPG's of his time in every single metric.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Can you name one, just ONE ARPG worse than skyrim from 360 era in the RPG and in action area???? Please.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher

And the itch to dress up your character in different clothes (or none at all). Never underestimate that appeal~

Skyrim_126.jpg

Darkforge

Augur
Not even 254 mods can fix it. (last I checked was the hard limit)
Yes, I tried...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Can you name one, just ONE ARPG worse than skyrim from 360 era in the RPG and in action area???? Please.

Seriously, your whole posts consists of falsehoods and i am not here to spend my time on fucking imbeciles like you. So i won't write much, just that there is no other game in the 360 era that is better in the RPG department and there is no other game in the 360 era that did medieval fantasy action combat better than Skyrim either. I could easily and scientifically explain it in detail but i won't, cause imbeciles like you aren't worth my precious time on Earth.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

This is fake news. Both games are severly inferior to Skyrim in those areas and this can be so easily proven, which is the reason i am not doing it, because i am not speaking to honest human beings here, i am speaking to dishonest automatons who just want to trashtalk Skyrim for the sake of trashtalking it. I am tired of having to explain that the sun rises from the East, i am just done. Go pound sand.

Funposter

Arcane
your "skyrim is the best game ever" trolling has gone from genuinely believable (the best kind of trolling) and descended into self-parody. sad!

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The appeal of Skyrim is grown men playing dress up dolly. Has been since Morrowind. I remember faggots constantly posting character "selfies" on the official forums back in it's heyday. It was relentless.

There is even a mod for autistic faggots to change the clothes of the NPCs:

K0qZODa.jpg

UoZWX7J.jpg

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Seriously, your whole posts consists of falsehoods and i am not here to spend my time on fucking imbeciles like you. So i won't write much, just that there is no other game in the 360 era that is better in the RPG department and there is no other game in the 360 era that did medieval fantasy action combat better than Skyrim either. I could easily and scientifically explain it in detail but i won't, cause imbeciles like you aren't worth my precious time on Earth.
You never played Skyrim, aren't you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom