Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Tactics (in 2020)

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, one of few things I dont like about two mods. They reduce the difficulty to get recruits. In original game CHa8 has real consequence.

Vatnik Wumao
I like it, but you have to play it as a real-time game or the missions are too long
I'm not a fan of RT combat, especially in tacticool games. It makes sense I'm not fond of FT cause it seems to be designed as a RT game.
Try it as RT combat, and you ll see it is a really different games. It works very well for instance because you can use the "Rule of Engagement" rules (start to shoot when you at 1% //33% //66% //95% chance to it), because you can really od funny stuff like crawl to a position and then suddenly stand up and shoot (and for reasons you ALWAYS shoot first doing this), ...

Of course, it makes melee almost impossible to use for YOU, except deathclaws who have a chance to reach melee, but honestly you lose nothing.

Not being able to use melee is a big handicap. I cleared the Supermutant trenches with my melee fighter armed with a power fist. You get access to much more powerful melee weapons earlier compared to guns.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Melee is just fine in RT as long as you go with stealth approach (even the Supermutant trenches are doable that way), especially if you do the missions at night time.

Cael

Arcane
Melee is just fine in RT as long as you go with stealth approach (even the Supermutant trenches are doable that way), especially if you do the missions at night time.
If you can't one-shot them from stealth, you will be eating a M2 burst at point blank range, probably 2.

Glory to Ukraine
IIRC if you use a fast attacking weapon (like a knife) you can basically stun-lock enemies and prevent them from fighting back.

Cael

Arcane
IIRC if you use a fast attacking weapon (like a knife) you can basically stun-lock enemies and prevent them from fighting back.
Extreme Haymaker with the fast attack perk is 2 AP only and that is about as fast as you can get, plus it has a stun and knockdown effect on top of that, and it does electricity damage, not normal. Can't remember if a knife is faster than that, but the base damage of the knife is so low that supermutants just laugh at it.

Glory to Ukraine
Yeah the damage tends to be low, but I remember having a lot of success against both Deathclaws and supermutants by sneaking up on them with 2-3 characters equipped with melee weapons and keeping them knocked down/stun-locked untill they died.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah the damage tends to be low, but I remember having a lot of success against both Deathclaws and supermutants by sneaking up on them with 2-3 characters equipped with melee weapons and keeping them knocked down/stun-locked untill they died.
Try with extreme haymaker. You need a hand-to-hand of about 165 and either AGI or Str 6 or 7 or so. It is by far the most effective hand-to-hand attack in the game. It even makes robots explode.

razvedchiki

Erudite
played untill rock falls with equilibrium and despite the ammo limitations the run goes well. started with turn based but i mostly use real time to clear trash mob, rushing small groups with melee weapons is fun and saves ammo.
compared to redux you cant oneshot/get oneshoted as easily and actually need to waste a lot of ammo to kill one mob. in redux you could easily clear the first map solo with the starting submachine gun (with a minmax char that is).

Uncreation

Savant
I remember playing this back in the day and liking it. I did use rt though, because the missions tend to drag on otherwise. Not the best squad based tactics game out there but still decent. I think they kept the Fallout combat and character systems because they didn't want to alienate fans, even though they don't fit that well to a tactics game as others have already said. Ironically, i remember a lot of people hating it back then. I think it's because they wanted Fallout 3 and this wasn't it.

yup, pretty much, and it was sad. the game was good, the combat system was an evolution of fallout's which was considered decent, despite not being jagged alliance 2. but who is?

Cael

Arcane
I remember playing this back in the day and liking it. I did use rt though, because the missions tend to drag on otherwise. Not the best squad based tactics game out there but still decent. I think they kept the Fallout combat and character systems because they didn't want to alienate fans, even though they don't fit that well to a tactics game as others have already said. Ironically, i remember a lot of people hating it back then. I think it's because they wanted Fallout 3 and this wasn't it.
The combat system had a few flaws (and bugs) in it that didn't meet the expectations of the traditional Fallout players. You make a character in FT like you did in FO2, and you will be in on a hiding to nowhere. The second reason is that the Fallout style of combat doesn't translate well to RT.

The reaction to FT was what XCom Apoc went through. XCom Apoc was definitely the better game compared to TFTD, with features that no modern game has even dared to emulate, but the RT feature really got a lot of complaints and it got bad reviews.

Cael

Arcane
The combat system had a few flaws (and bugs) in it that didn't meet the expectations of the traditional Fallout players.
A few is not enough, it seems.
:dance:
It patched a lot of the nonsense that FO2 had, but there were still a few left (Stealth is utterly broken if you know how to abuse it in combat, for example). And the new bugs (burst bug, Sniper bug, etc.) didn't help.

Cael

Arcane
What stealth combat abuse? Asking because I dont remember anythin about it. Or maybe because I dont know anything about it.
In TB, you can stealth if you are out of sight of all enemies AND if you are not the nearest character to ANY enemy. That means if one person hides behind a wall from the enemy, for example, he won't be able to stealth, but if the rest are positioned in such a way that he is the nearest person to all enemies (not hard), THEY can.

The enemy also does not move closer than a certain distance to the nearest person they can detect unless they are melee based. That means you can lure all the melee enemies behind the wall and murder them all while the ranged enemies stay behind the wall waiting for you to move away or around the wall yourself.

These two factors enables you to:
1. Lure all melee units around the wall.
2. Kill them all.
3. Stealth all your units except the one nearest to all of the ranged enemies. Do NOT put them on overwatch.
4. Make the one guy run away directly from the wall while remaining out of site of all ranged enemies.
5. Ranged enemies charge around the wall to catch up to the "fleeing" guy.
6. Ranged enemies have moved. They are not on overwatch any more.
7. The rest of your squad is still by the wall stealthed, giving them a full round of emptying their guns at any enemy that rounds the wall at point blank range.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 as necessary if able.

Jigby

Augur
Anybody here has a bn13 account? There's a 1.55 Redux version over there -> https://cutt.ly/ajcIK74

Do we have any Chinese users on the 'Dex? What's it about?
Some update on the situation, the password for the baidu download link is no longer hidden, so no need to hack the website :).

I downloaded it and tried it, but unfortunately it's all in chinese. So unless somebody is into FT modding and knows which files contain the translations so they could be replaced with original English files we're out of luck it seems.

Vatnik Wumao
The mod is a whole bunch of fixes. It makes changes to the maps, fixes grammatical errors in the chinese translation, adds new weapons, rebalances weapon stats, changes combat balance and fixes sound and graphics bugs.

Jigby

Augur
The mod is a whole bunch of fixes. It makes changes to the maps, fixes grammatical errors in the chinese translation, adds new weapons, rebalances weapon stats, changes combat balance and fixes sound and graphics bugs.
So the mod is more than just an attempt to Sino-form the old English Redux version? Should I bother with it? Or should I just leave it alone? Compared to the 1.3 version is it worth the hassle?

Vatnik Wumao
So the mod is more than just an attempt to Sino-form the old English Redux version? Should I bother with it? Or should I just leave it alone? Compared to the 1.3 version is it worth the hassle?

Its based on the 1.1 version, so take that as you will.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Bit late to the party on this one. I vividly recall playing the demo of Fallout: Tactics which contains a bunch of content that isn't in the full game, including two unique levels, some human recruits, and a different mission briefing voice actor. The voice actor did a good job, but he's no R. Lee Ermey. There's a cute forth wall break in the final debriefing:

'You will outfit your squad with chain guns and powered armor and join Tusk squad... wait... oh... that's all in the full version, coming out soon. Uh... I guess your squad will go on standby until you purchase Fallout: Tactics. Dismissed!'

That was my first taste of the Fallout universe. Good times. As for the full version, I have a soft spot for it, but I also think if the game were truly great then the ire over it not being an RPG would've subsided. It just doesn't have the mechanical depth required to make the transition to squad-based tactics. Still, there's geniune effort here. It's not like Dynasty Warriors Empires, which is basically a game mode sold as its own full priced game (the only example that comes to mind right now).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom