Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Drop Duck

Learned
I don't even like RPGs.
You would start liking them if you only tried some of the classics. I replayed Dragon Wars for the Amiga last year and had a ton of fun with it. I think a lot of posters here are suffering from an RPG deficiency and that is why they are so cranky.

Now if only the PC-98 version had an English translation, because that seems to be the superior version out there.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I trust DarkUnderlord would supervise this process to ensure that there will be no shenanigans at work.
YAGpXPd.png

DSW

Novice
but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results
But what's wrong with that exactly? If I feel about game A strongly enough to revise my vote to bring it closer to or further away from the top - then this revised vote only better reflects my opinion.
Do I really have to explain why this is bad? Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.

That's not your opinion on W3 as a game, that's pure butthurt over a game you don't like winning. You changed your vote just to impact the final results. And if a lot of people start doing this, then the scores lose all meaning.
This is why people vote with 4/4 for Wastland 3 and 1/4 for the rest of games need to be trashed. Your approach still not reveal real feel about Wasteland 3. Ironicaly, you call straight forward exploiters of your approach as trolls. More sopisticated trashers go under your radar.

VHS9000

Novice
I've played Book of Heroes only and it is a shovelware-tier trash. Kinda dissappointed since I've finished River of Time for the first time recently and want more Dark Eye games.

VHS9000

Novice
Oh I'm retarded. Missed Horizon's Gate in the list and forgot it was released this year. Despite it has some flaws and deserve solid 3/4 I ranked it for 4 as it feels like the only worthwhile RPG of 2020.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here.
No, you are guessing while I speak from experience.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.
That's why this poll should be created and maintained by the staff here on the Codex, as it's the most relevant poll due to the nature of the site. Let them handle the alt voting, trolls, etc. I trust DarkUnderlord would supervise this process to ensure that there will be no shenanigans at work. We're talking about a fucking forum poll here, not rocket science!

A proper official poll would confer prestige. No doubt in my mind most indie devs would take pride knowing their game won/ranked high on the official GOTY poll run by RPGCodex, the most prestigious RPG site of them all. It's another form of advertising their products.
Marvel Avengers GOTY

Poll's closed.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here.
No, you are guessing while I speak from experience.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.
That's why this poll should be created and maintained by the staff here on the Codex, as it's the most relevant poll due to the nature of the site. Let them handle the alt voting, trolls, etc. I trust DarkUnderlord would supervise this process to ensure that there will be no shenanigans at work. We're talking about a fucking forum poll here, not rocket science!

A proper official poll would confer prestige. No doubt in my mind most indie devs would take pride knowing their game won/ranked high on the official GOTY poll run by RPGCodex, the most prestigious RPG site of them all. It's another form of advertising their products.

RPG_Watch_GameOfTheYear2009_Steam_3.png

(this is taken directly from Knights of the Chalice's award section on Steam)

There are ways we could do an authenticated poll without DU or others having to create infrastructure. One method off the top of my head:

1. A form asks for Codex username.
2. User rates games.
3. Upon submission it provides a unique code.
4. Code is posted in thread.
5. Poll admin checks code against user in thread to verify identity (to prevent shenanigans)
6. Vote is verified and added to results

Downside of an approach like that, it means the person running the poll would have to periodically check the "code thread" and approve votes.

Aemar

Arcane
There are ways we could do an authenticated poll without DU or others having to create infrastructure. One method off the top of my head:
An interesting method. Do you happen to work for Dominion, by any chance?

:updatedmytxt:

kangaxx

Arbiter
Crikey I played a total of one game on that list in 2020. Therefore by default my personal GOTY is Cyberpunk. For fuck's sake....

On another note I cracked open Underrail for the first time in 2020 and enjoyed it, so that's my unofficial GOTY.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland 3 is the clear winner for me, this year, no doubt.

I had a great time with it, and look forward to the DLC(s)

Other than that, well, Cyberpunk is the 2nd best for me, disappointing, but yet still solid fun for what it is and mods will fix rest..

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Downside of an approach like that, it means the person running the poll would have to periodically check the "code thread" and approve votes.
Write a bot to scrape threads that have a specific prefix in the response: RESULT_ID: <id>

Add ID to file and remove duplicates. Now you have a list of IDs without needing to constantly monitor the thread.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Write a bot to scrape threads that have a specific prefix in the response: RESULT_ID: <id>

Add ID to file and remove duplicates. Now you have a list of IDs without needing to constantly monitor the thread.

Yep, you could do something like that as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom