Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Selaco - A Doom engine FPS inspired by FEAR and the classics - coming to Early Access in May

Trithne

Erudite
Aight, let me tell you what the real problem is with the character design: she's fucking boring. I know you want to brush this off as woman hating or something, but I fucking love women. Love fucking women, especially JAPs.

You're into Jewish American Princesses?

That aside, good point about the character lacking, well, character.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
(Yes, I played Blood 2 and expansion. Yes, it's one of the worst shooters ever made with no redeeming feature whatsoever, and it's not even "git gud").
I'm sorry, what? You've clearly only played three shooters if you think its anywhere near that bad. The bottom of that barrel is so far from Blood 2 that even if you do think its horrible that its still closer to the original than worst shooter of all time.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blood 2 kicks ass all around, the only reason people didn't like it was because they couldn't cope with not gitting gud at the game. It's fucking crazy that the game was released just one year after the first game.

Paging DraQ to look at the monstrum we got there

You are the most peculiar specimen I've ever seen, the first man ever to defend Blood 2. Is this the birth of a new type of contrarianism?

I've defended Blood 2 here before (well, not "defended" exactly since my liking of a game doesn't rely on others also liking it, but i did mention that i like it) and in fact i prefer it to Blood 1. It is janky and buggy, sure, but i love its late 90s "dark grungy" atmosphere, futuristic design, weird sense of black humor, the music, etc and even the blocky graphics and often nonsensical level layouts (but like all of early full 3D FPS games it does great use of 3D spaces). I liked the game ever since the first time i saw the intro where Caleb's bones get meat with that "thshhhthub" sound and the reverse text "Powered by Lithtech" slides into view at a friend's computer back when the game was brand new.

That is not to say i do not see the problems the game has, but acknowledging a game's problems and liking it are two separate things for me :-P

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
(Yes, I played Blood 2 and expansion. Yes, it's one of the worst shooters ever made with no redeeming feature whatsoever, and it's not even "git gud").
I'm sorry, what? You've clearly only played three shooters if you think its anywhere near that bad. The bottom of that barrel is so far from Blood 2 that even if you do think its horrible that its still closer to the original than worst shooter of all time.

This.

I am not going to claim that Blood 2 is good FPS (since it´s not), but IMO people should be more careful with statements like "one of the worst shooters ever made." The real shit tier shooters are the ones most people never even heard of and that list would include names such as Beyond Normady: Assignment Berlin, WWII: Iwo Jima and other assorted trash published by ValuSoft and similar companies in the early 2000s.

Blood 2 looks like a 9/10 GOTY next to those abominations.

Norfleet

Can't have male protags anymore. HAS to be a wahmen, huh?
This actually makes logical sense: Women prefer female characters more than men prefer male characters. A male protagonist will turn off female audiences, but a female protagonist doesn't immediately repel male audiences. Therefore, if the gender of the protagonist is wholly irrelevant to the game, and you have to pick one character, you pick a female character.

And keep in mind, this is an FPS: The only time you're ever going to see yourself is in a cutscene or on the box art.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Can't have male protags anymore. HAS to be a wahmen, huh?
This actually makes logical sense: Women prefer female characters more than men prefer male characters. A male protagonist will turn off female audiences, but a female protagonist doesn't immediately repel male audiences. Therefore, if the gender of the protagonist is wholly irrelevant to the game, and you have to pick one character, you pick a female character.

And keep in mind, this is an FPS: The only time you're ever going to see yourself is in a cutscene or on the box art.

Yea, keep in mind it's a fucking FPS based on the goddamn Doom engine, something which no upstanding woman has ever or will ever hear about in her life.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Russian FPS games from 2000-s. I fucking dare anyone here to try.

I played Stalin Subway (2005, don’t judge me, I got it off one of those large bins with CDs that some super markets used to have back in the day for the equivalent of about 1 €) and I thought it was passable for the asking price. Shit like WWII: Iwo Jima is fucking pathetic in comparison.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane

No need, I have a soft spot for terrible slavjank games. I'd fully argue that Blood 2 is as shit as Hellforces any day of the week. I'd argue that Ukrainian slavjank shooters leave Blood 2 on the dirt evert day of the week (hell, Action Form games or Codename Outbreak are at least more creative).

And "hey, it's not slavjank shovelware made to cheat people" like this guy

I'm sorry, what? You've clearly only played three shooters if you think its anywhere near that bad.

makes little sense. Blood 2 is a sequel to Blood 1 and they knew better. Monolith wasn't a slavjank dev or a guy in a basement making a WW2 shooter on the cheap. Make shit, be judged properly.

Riskbreaker

C'mon dude, you ain't some AI. Context, there's nothing outside the context. In its category, compared with other major shooters of the time, compared with its predecessor, compared with Monolith's further releases, Blood 2 is awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I love budget mid-2000s FPSs. I've bought every DRM-free one available on Gamersgate (which apparently has a lot of them) and a few others on ebay for my mid-2000s retro PC. The last one i've finished is Operation Matriarchy which was nice. I also started They're alive! (which has an... interesting menu screen :-P) but i haven't finished that yet. But that one isn't really that janky IMO, compared to some other games it is almost AA in quality.

Though TBH i think Blood 2 is much better than those.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
makes little sense. Blood 2 is a sequel to Blood 1 and they knew better. Monolith wasn't a slavjank dev or a guy in a basement making a WW2 shooter on the cheap. Make shit, be judged properly.
So? The past is littered with people who should have known better. That suddenly doesn't make them worse that the people who didn't know any better.
C'mon dude, you ain't some AI. Context, there's nothing outside the context. In its category, compared with other major shooters of the time, compared with its predecessor, compared with Monolith's further releases, Blood 2 is awful.
I've seen enough of both to know that isn't true. Trepasser, Spec Ops, Quake 2, Daikatana, and if we stretch the time a little, Medal of Honor and Battlefield 1942. At least in SP, anyway. And I'm not so sure about Monolith's further releases either, nobody really talks about 'em beyond FEAR and NOLF.

schru

Arcane
Quake II and Medal of Honor (PS1; not Allied Assault for PC, which was weak) are good. Blood II isn't literally the lowest of the low, it has some nice-looking levels and interesting music, but the gameplay is atrocious.

Citizen

This game barely even exists apart from two seconds of gameplay shown in the trailer, why the fuck is this thread 5 pages long already?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This game barely even exists apart from two seconds of gameplay shown in the trailer, why the fuck is this thread 5 pages long already?
4tmwnc.jpg

orcinator

Liturgist
Ash’s comments seemed silly but then I watched the trailer and I sincerely hope the devs change the “you can do this” line on behalf of all the people suffering from NuTomb Raider related PTSD. Personally I prefer seeing girls become corrupted over seeing them become stronker wymin.
Also this going to be like Hedon, that other doom engine FPS you actually have to pay for, where the female protagonist has a huge dick?

On a less serious note and like the rest of the thread said you should have opened up with some combat footage, story heavy FPSes are a dime a dozen and there’s not much novelty in seeing the doom engine do something a million other games do as well.

Curratum

There is a 5-page codex topic about an upcoming thing that has shown 20 seconds of gameplay, but we don't have a separate topic for Ashes 2063 / Ashes Afterglow?
:shitandpiss:

Ash

Arcane
There is a 5-page codex topic about an upcoming thing that has shown 20 seconds of gameplay, but we don't have a separate topic for Ashes 2063 / Ashes Afterglow?
:shitandpiss:

Never heard of it. Searching now...

Damn looks good. I may play this next. feel free to start a thread!

Personally I prefer seeing girls become corrupted over seeing them become stronker wyminl.

Feminism and girl power IS the corruption of women; of femininity.

devil's advocate: video games and the internet aids in the corruption of men; of masculinity.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom