Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
By that point 90% of games will be online service games anyway, so I won't cry too much. I'll keep some kind of offline Win7 or Win10 backup and play everything older on that. Seeing how big the retro console market has gotten with enthusiast, I bet we see retro PCs as well if modern Windows ever has actual issues with older games.

Avarize

Magister
Would be funny if it turned out to be next Diakatana, but I don’t see that happening.
Don't be so sure.

"I'd give Mirror's Edge a 10/10 and Cyberpunk a 4/10 in unarmed combat. Well this is just the prologue, thus we might unlock cool moves later in Cyberpunk Check out the link to source footage and my thoughts & opinion in the description."
:retarded:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I for one will have boarded the Linux ship long before that point though.

It's never too early to start! Test it out in a virtual machine or throw it on a flash drive and boot into it just to get your feet wet.

I'll keep some kind of offline Win7 or Win10 backup and play everything older on that. Seeing how big the retro console market has gotten with enthusiast, I bet we see retro PCs as well if modern Windows ever has actual issues with older games.

A lot of older Windows games actually run better in Linux than on Windows 10. It's typically newer games and/or games with anticheat software that Linux can't run. I feel like it would be a better alternative than keeping a dead OS on an offline PC. But if you're dedicated to Microsoft, you can still use some of the same technologies Linux uses for benefit on Windows. For example, DXVK is a DirectX-to-Vulkan compatibility layer. It translates DirectX 9/10/11 calls into the modern (and cross-platform) Vulkan API which can result in better performance and greater stability.

just

Liturgist
reminds me of those drunk russian fight clips where they punching air in random direction
2 bodies 1 mind my ass

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of older Windows games actually run better in Linux than on Windows 10. It's typically newer games and/or games with anticheat software that Linux can't run. I feel like it would be a better alternative than keeping a dead OS on an offline PC. But if you're dedicated to Microsoft, you can still use some of the same technologies Linux uses for benefit on Windows. For example, DXVK is a DirectX-to-Vulkan compatibility layer. It translates DirectX 9/10/11 calls into the modern (and cross-platform) Vulkan API which can result in better performance and greater stability.

What is it about Linux that makes a less than 1% minority feel like they're everywhere, responding to all the posts all the time.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What is it about Linux that makes a less than 1% minority feel like they're everywhere, responding to all the posts all the time.

Some sort of selection bias. Baader–Meinhof phenomenon? I was quoted, so I replied to that message and happened to do so to yours immediately below that one.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Some sort of selection bias. Baader–Meinhof phenomenon? I was quoted, so I replied to that message and happened to do so to yours immediately below that one.

Don't take such posts so seriously. I admire the Linux passion, even if it feels like a thin napkin covering a 10 mile radius sometimes.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I had forgotten how good Mirror's Edge was.

As for Cybercuck 2077, it has everything going for it to be a great commercial hit. Games win on two main things-scale and variety. They don't have to excel in anything, as long as they have scale and variety going for them.

The best example in this regard is Half-Life 2. Mediocre gunplay, mediocre story, mediocre to bad vehicles, yet it got praised for all of this. Same goes for the GTA series-they are neither the best 3rd person shooter, nor are they the best driving games, yet they are extremely successful commercially and critically. Not to mention completely horrendous shit like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

This is what Cybercuck 2077 is going for. And chances are, it will succeed, unless it falls victim to its own hype.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Would be funny if it turned out to be next Diakatana, but I don’t see that happening.
Don't be so sure.

looks almost as exciting as witcher 1 boxing

New melee looks little better, either way the story and characters are important

Yeah, melee in Mirror's Edge is way better than Cyberpunk.

Witcher 1 boxing was an abomination.

Basically I agree with you. I don't know why the fuck I posted. Alzheimer.

KK1001

Arbiter
The first Mirror's edge is stylish, streamlined nicely, and fuck, the graphics hold up to this day.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think it'll be good at what it's doing, but a lot of people will want it to be something else and will thus say it's bad.

This was my prediction and ehhhhh... I think it didn't meet that bar. The side content is just lacking context and story too much, while the main quest is too story focused and cinematic. You either feel like you're grinding endless repetitive gameplay or you're watching a movie that makes you hold W a lot when you could just be watching a real movie that is probably written way better. I was hoping for an open world Deus Ex Human Revolution and I guess we got that for the most part, but the way the game's content delivery is designed is just a massive drag.

Pegultagol

Erudite
My prediction, "probably less than sum of its parts" seems too charitable now, but what the sum of all this jumble of bugged out parts may end up being, I don't rightly know. In the end, I think they should've turned to the rich trove of their own sci-fi literature and history as inspiration and created a novel game they could explore and iterate upon. I feel even as they were crunching away at adapting this futuristic Dystopian take from the past set in a world far away and alien, they were searching for that soul, naming the penultimate mission after Chopin's Nocturne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom