Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If they are mobile games (which I think at least Returns actually is?), they are the best ones I've ever played.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If they are mobile games (which I think at least Returns actually is?), they are the best ones I've ever played.

The first was originally intended to be a simple, mobile game, but they received way more money than they expected in the initial Kickstarter so they expanded on it.

These games may not have the depth of other RPGs, but I enjoyed them and I think they're a worthwhile playthrough.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The missions and dialog systems feel "deep" enough to be an RPG, IMO. The environmental interaction is very limited though, and of course it's more a series of linear missions than a typical open RPG. I wouldn't even say it's as open as a Deus Ex type of game. Whatever you want to call them though, I think they're pretty good games.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Not say they're bad games.
But next other isometric rpgs (pillars of eternity, divinity etc) they feel basic. Limited inventory, limited exploration, interface designed for touch screens, limited inventory management (if at all), basic visuals, and so on.

Deleted member 7219

Not say they're bad games.
But next other isometric rpgs (pillars of eternity, divinity etc) they feel basic. Limited inventory, limited exploration, interface designed for touch screens, limited inventory management (if at all), basic visuals, and so on.

The other systems are still there, including story, reactivity, quests and (excellent) combat.

V_K

Arcane
Limited inventory
Inventory and itemsation in Shadowruns are streamlined, just like their character systems - but in terms of variety of character builds and combat options, there are actually more options and these options are more distinct from one another than in PoE, not to mention the monstrosity that is DOS loot treadmill.
limited exploration
Sure, these games are more linear and there isn't much loot to hoard, but it is there and it's actually meaningful, providing ways to avoid combat or gain an advantage in it. Loot is more meaningful as well precisely by virtue of having a limited inventory. Definitely beats PoE and DOS where the only things you can hope to find are copy-pasted trash mobs and caches of randomly generated loot.
limited inventory management
And thank god for that. Compared how much junk modern games have you collect and keep track of (crafting, I'm looking at you), a limited inventory was a breath of fresh air. And in principle it makes resource management more meaningful even if these games aren't hard enough to appreciate that.
Not to mention that co-op focus in DOS makes inventory management outright torturous - especially given how frequent and insignificant equipment upgrades are.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

The first was originally intended to be a simple, mobile game, but they received way more money than they expected in the initial Kickstarter so they expanded on it.

These games may not have the depth of other RPGs, but I enjoyed them and I think they're a worthwhile playthrough.

Yep, highly enjoyed Shadowrun Returns and currently playing Shadowrun Dragonfall.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
These games are very nicely made, neat little packages, with story, ultra-lite nuXCOM combat, RPG elements and immersive elements all in a nice balance. A bit too much poz for my personal taste, but eh, what are you going to do. As with PF:K although the game is SJW-tainted, the quality of the writing carries the day, as the writers are obviously more interested in telling a story than quasi-religious activism per se.

Games as tasty morsels and treats, nice, solid games - not terribly deep or absorbing, but engaging enough to pass the time and not feel you're completely wasting it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
13923.jpg

Looks like an adventure game to me!

Sykar

Arcane
I will never understand why they so heavily altered the SR rules and allowed dumb shit like 6 spells only and nothing for astral space either outside of descriptive context choices which ere basically exclusive to Hong Kong.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I will never understand why they so heavily altered the SR rules and allowed dumb shit like 6 spells only and nothing for astral space either outside of descriptive context choices which ere basically exclusive to Hong Kong.
Because it's not easy or cheap to adapt a whole RPG system that has decades worth of content (even BG3 won't adapt all levels). These are obviously lower budget titles and I think they did a good job with them. As for the 6 spells thing, it's probably a balance thing. A limited toolbox could work very well, look at Guild Wars 1.

eXalted

Arcane
Looks like an adventure game to me!
Wrong choice of words from my side I guess. It's a lot more simplified RPG for me than what is considered an RPG here and I really dig it - with the simplified inventory, companion abilities, and all that.

Maybe we should define what is an RPG.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Limited inventory
Inventory and itemsation in Shadowruns are streamlined, just like their character systems - but in terms of variety of character builds and combat options, there are actually more options and these options are more distinct from one another than in PoE, not to mention the monstrosity that is DOS loot treadmill.
limited exploration
Sure, these games are more linear and there isn't much loot to hoard, but it is there and it's actually meaningful, providing ways to avoid combat or gain an advantage in it. Loot is more meaningful as well precisely by virtue of having a limited inventory. Definitely beats PoE and DOS where the only things you can hope to find are copy-pasted trash mobs and caches of randomly generated loot.
limited inventory management
And thank god for that. Compared how much junk modern games have you collect and keep track of (crafting, I'm looking at you), a limited inventory was a breath of fresh air. And in principle it makes resource management more meaningful even if these games aren't hard enough to appreciate that.
Not to mention that co-op focus in DOS makes inventory management outright torturous - especially given how frequent and insignificant equipment upgrades are.
Good points but the facts are facts. Shadowrun games are limited and basic in all respects. Combat including.
For phone games they're pretty damn good, probable the best mobile RPG you can find.
Personally i like some meat on my games, so id stick with PoE and the likes.

almondblight

Arcane
Worth noting that Dragonfall is one of the only RPGs in recent decades that has meaningful text parser interaction. Outside of Ultima clones built for computers from decades ago (Nox Archaist, Realms of Antiquity), are there any others?

cruelio

Savant
Probably because:
-the rules are insane nonsense that no one understands
-do you really want to see what they do with astral space after what they did with cyber space?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One thing I liked about cyberspace was when they had you fighting on two battlefields at once: In cyberspace where time moved faster (thus having more turns in a row before switching to the real world) and in the real world where your decker was a sitting duck. It was an underused mechanic that I'd like to see again some way in the future, but with greater interaction between the two battlefields.

Ninjerk

Arcane
One thing I liked about cyberspace was when they had you fighting on two battlefields at once: In cyberspace where time moved faster (thus having more turns in a row before switching to the real world) and in the real world where your decker was a sitting duck. It was an underused mechanic that I'd like to see again some way in the future, but with greater interaction between the two battlefields.
If anyone still plays it, the Source mod Dystopia captured the cyberspace-meatspace parallel gameplay space concept as well as I've ever experienced and you should try it if you can stomach FPS gameplay.

Same here. Sadly can't find a good affordable 16:10 to replace my current one.

Anyway, I've restarted Dragonfall to wash away the taste of Cyberpunk 2077. Yeah, if they had more money and ambition it could have been better, but even so what we got was pretty damn good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom