Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Wunderbar

Arcane
1) sony releases bloodborne for pc and gains some money in the short-term
2) sonyboys in tears, selling their PS4s on ebay and publicly burning kaz hirai's effigies
3) sony's next exclusive fails to sell well because gamers are waiting for a definitive edition on PC
4) ???
5) losses!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
1) sony releases bloodborne for pc and gains some money in the short-term
2) sonyboys in tears, selling their PS4s on ebay and publicly burning kaz hirai's effigies
3) sony's next exclusive fails to sell well because gamers are waiting for a definitive edition on PC
4) ???
5) losses!

so it is better to not release it at all and not gain free millions of dollars? logic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
9410Vse.jpg

I've done it. As for endings, I took the coward's way out of course, and was pretty happy with it.
I looked up the others and was amused to see how you're forced to work harder and harder to get more horrific fates. Though I suppose the ultimate one has its perks for an evil character.

Best Lovecraftian game I've played. Like how it's influenced by the Cthulhu mythos and the Dream Cycle without being on-the-nose with specific references, something a lot of westerners should learn.

Things it did that I liked better than Dark Souls:
You get 20 health vials at a time instead of a measly 5
Health vials drop from certain enemies
No places where you have to fight enemies on ledges where you can fall and die
You can teleport to any bonfire once you've visited it and there's a single hub where you do all your shopping and upgrading
Getting to bosses after you die is relatively painless without a lot of enemies in your way
The doll. :love:

It's true a lot of my frustration with Dark Souls stemmed with my insistence on playing it like a wrpg (trying to get it done in one go, no grinding), and now that I've learned to accept my limitations, I may pick it up again once I don't have any other PS4 games to play. This was fun, but I don't want to be this stressed out playing games all the time. Hope Sony relents on a port eventually.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Things it did that I liked better than Dark Souls:
You can teleport to any bonfire once you've visited it and there's a single hub where you do all your shopping and upgrading
Getting to bosses after you die is relatively painless without a lot of enemies in your way
decline-enabler.

a lot of my frustration with Dark Souls stemmed with my insistence on playing it like a wrpg (trying to get it done in one go, no grinding)
you just said you liked bloodborne better because you were able to grind for healing items.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've done it. As for endings, I took the coward's way out of course, and was pretty happy with it.
I looked up the others and was amused to see how you're forced to work harder and harder to get more horrific fates. Though I suppose the ultimate one has its perks for an evil character.

Best Lovecraftian game I've played. Like how it's influenced by the Cthulhu mythos and the Dream Cycle without being on-the-nose with specific references, something a lot of westerners should learn.

It does a lovecraftian pseudo-power fantasy really well. Often people say that a power fantasy is inherently incompatible with that sort of setting, but the issue is only when you try to make it heroic and keep some form of humanity inside. Bloodborne solves it by making your protagonist inhuman to begin with as you start the game in the clinic getting the cursed blood transfusion that was one of the causes of all Yharnam's woes. Hunters.. hunt what they may become themselves.
So the game allows you to slay greater and greater foes and existences.. while you're slowly transcending humanity yourself and lose what it means to be human. It doesn't give off that same dissonant vibe there was to, say, the last 2/3 of Dark Corners of the Earth where you start pumping bullets and canon balls into otherwordly things and dagon.

Speaking of which, Dark Corners is to me both the best AND the worst lovecraftian video game. The beginning of the game is textbook lovecraft. It's exactly how lovecraftian horror is supposed to be. A feeling of wrongness that pervades against which you're but a lone observer trying to make sense of what can't be. It shows the point of view of a somewhat 'normal' human stumbling upon these things really well.. up until the point it devolves into really mediocre action and really cheesy shit.

Bruh seriously.
If that's your only issue it's a non-issue. There's enough humanity spread around DS1 without having to farm it to upgrade your bonfires everywhere that matters (ie before boss fights you personally have trouble handling). You can get the extend to 20 by defeating one of the easiest bosses of the game (at the cost of a rather annoying backtrack sequence if you go to that place before getting the lordvessel..)

Get a high stability shield.

You can teleport to the key points in DS1 once you've completed half of the game, and before completing that half the game doesn't impose too much backtracking because of the great amount of shortcuts to unlock. With that said, if that's really a killer for you, DS2 and DS3 allow you to teleport from the start.

You prolly wouldn't enjoy DS3 though because it is the most restrictive game of the series in terms of healing resources.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
you just said you liked bloodborne better because you were able to grind for healing items.

When I pick up DS again, I'm going to start off by grinding a bunch of health and going from there. :M
If it's really important to you, you prolly should watch this video :

Killing the boss at the end of this run is what gives you the ability to upgrade bonfires to give you 20 estus. You can get there really fast from the firelink hub (backtracking will take a little more work but hey, rewards should be accompanied by pains)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You can teleport to the key points in DS1 once you've completed half of the game, and before completing that half the game doesn't impose too much backtracking because of the great amount of shortcuts to unlock. With that said, if that's really a killer for you, DS2 and DS3 allow you to teleport from the start.
For that matter, Demon's Souls from the beginning allows teleportation between the central hub (the Nexus) and the start/end of each level. Although each level must be completed without the intermediate bonfires found in the later games (though often with shortcuts available), this means that Roguey would never need to run a great distance from one area to a distant one, as can occur during the first half of Dark Souls. :M

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Best Lovecraftian game I've played. Like how it's influenced by the Cthulhu mythos and the Dream Cycle without being on-the-nose with specific references

:love:

Have you finished the expansion too? Did you meet the poor Orphan?
Bruh, he decided not to fight Gehrman... I don't think he faced the REAL nightmare. Roguey if you enjoyed the game, you should play through its DLC and all of the non-procedurally generated side content, since it's pretty good. And by not fighting the old guy, you missed the best anime moment of the series:

Oh, like in Dark Souls!

Hey, like in Dark Souls!

Wait... like in half of Dark Souls...

If you pushed through Bloodborne, you should give Dark Souls a second try. Maybe you won't immediately breeze through it, but it will definitely be easier than the last time.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Nah, I bought the hits version instead of the game of the year. From what I've read, the DLC is much harder than the main game (especially if you try for the first time in new game plus) so likely not for me.

Reader

Scholar
sonyboys in tears, selling their PS4s on ebay and publicly burning kaz hirai's effigies
Nah. You underestimate sonyboys. I was always impressed how these guys reasonable at other things continue to pay for ps+ to play online, continue to pay $50 for games that are $20 on Steam already and continue to enjoy exclusive discounts which are like 5%.
From what I've read, the DLC is much harder
Not that much.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Nah, I bought the hits version instead of the game of the year. From what I've read, the DLC is much harder than the main game (especially if you try for the first time in new game plus) so likely not for me.
The DLC is muuuuuuuuuuch harder than the main game, and imo the first roadblock is not even hard in a good way. Otoh, Lady Maria is the best fight in all of soulsbourne.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, Roguey , you will be missing one of the best DLCs ever. And possibly FROM's best bosses too. Ludwig, Maria and Orphan are masterpieces, and the foundation for Elfriede, Gael, Guardian Ape, Father Owl and Isshin Sword Saint.

Don't give up now!

The only thing I didn't like about Old Hunters was that they dumped too many weapons in a small area - felt really off after how sparse weapons were in the main game. Other than that, the bosses are all incredible (my personal favourite is Ludwig but Maria is a close 2nd) and there's really no reason not to play it. It goes on sale often too.

cruel

Cipher
Roguey, as others said, don't skip the DLC. If you have problems, just do some Chalice dungeons. I was probably over leveled after doing them, but because of that, all the DLC bosses were actually easier for me than Martyr Logarius. Keep pushing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I loved the base game and the DLC, however I really wasn't crazy about the Chalice Dungeons. Neat idea (and they're pretty central to the game's story, all things considered), but they serve no real purpose other than farming gemstones (which I wasn't interested in doing and not required by the game at all, even in NG+) and hiding some novelty bosses which aren't even that interesting (even less so if you're not crazy about the lore).

As others have said, they exist in this limbo where if you do them during your regular playthrough, then the game becomes trivial, and if you wait too long, the dungeons themselves become trivial. I guess it was From's idea of persistent content, but there's not enough juice to keep them going, and I'm not sure an "endless" mode would fit a game such as this.

Silva

Arcane
I remember there was a good, crowded fight club in the Chalices. People were educated and even complimented/greeted each other with flowery poses like true gents. These days Nightmare Frontier is probably the best area for duels.

Also, don't now why, but duels in BB feel much better to me than DS ones. I think the quickstep gives the fight a more frenetic vibe that I like. While barrel rolling DS feels like shit (though in DS2 pvp is fairly good).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom