Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Euro Truck Simulator 2 and The Sims 3 are tagged as a RPGs on Steam.
Yeah, no:

KCajY1a.png
2P28TP9.png

User-defined tags don't count.

why would you want vote to be secret? i for one want to know what are you ashamed of
You won't, if the votes are publicly visible then people will be tempted to vote for :obviously: titles even if it's not their favorite. This is also why excluding games or making the nominations brofist-based are bad ideas if you actually want the list to represent what the users think, instead of a list that just looks nice

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of tactical voting like that happens with blind votes as well. There's simply no reason to rate a game 3 instead of 4 if you want it to end up in the top, just as there's no reason to rate it 2 instead of 1 if you don't. The only way to avoid that is switching to a binary like/dislike system.

Yeah, and I really don't get it, why votes with "1" should be removed, while votes with "10" (or "5 in this case") should be kept. If someone understand that logic please enlighten me.

felipepepe Re: Hades and Avengers:

First off: I want to be clear that I very much appreciate the effort you put into these polls; it makes this community a better place, and I'm sure it is no small investiture of time and effort on your part. So thank you.
But: I think you're taking a very weird stand here, and it makes me wonder if you've played either game. Admittedly, I haven't played Avengers so I'm not in the best position to talk about it definitively (and I welcome correction if I'm mistaken here), but it looks to me to basically be a third-person brawler grafted onto a looter-shooter like Destiny (I think maybe Anthem is the best analogue I'm aware of? not sure, I don't play these games at all).

Hades by comparison plays very much as a Diablo-clone. It has strong progression elements, encourages min/maxing in character builds, and requires a deep understanding of its underlying systems for an optimal chance of success. The comparison to Dead Cells also feels disingenuous (although you are correct that they share multiple superficial similarities). They play materially different despite sharing similar macro-design sensibilities; one is inspired by Metroidvanias, and one is inspired by Diablo.

The thing is, I don't actually have a problem with not including Hades in this poll if you're of the opinion that Diablo is not an RPG. I think that's a totally valid and easily arguable opinion (one in fact that I largely agree with!), but it's not what has been established in past years; if Van Helsing and Grim Dawn have been candidates for RPGOTY then Hades absolutely deserves a nomination as well, and including Avengers but omitting Hades absolutely reads like a very weird and intentional slight.
I know Hades is loved around here, I also think it was probably the best game of the year, but - and I know this is subjective and will open a giant can of worms - I think it's a game mostly about twitch skills, descending from games like Spelunky and especially Binding of Isaac.

Modern roguelites are very tricky in this. It's a new subgenre that constantly gets further and further away from their Rogue roots. For another example, Monster Train was also one of the best games of the year. Yet, with all the complains in this thread, the only time it was mentioned was as "great game, not an RPG". We had Slay the Spire in the 2019 GOTY, it won 3rd place, but by now it seems clear that deck-building roguelikes have become their own thing, with some games being very RPG-ish (like Dream Quest), while others not moving far from it.

Of all the criticism about the poll, I think that's the most valid one - that I decided by myself what's an RPG and which games would be on the list.

Next year we'll do the nomination thread for 1 month, but I fear that it will backfire into a gigantic list and a lot of drama about "what's an RPG". Or, if there's genuine outrage about this besides the usual butthurt squad, someone can do it now and run a second poll as the "official one". I'll run this one until the end and post the results, the Codex staff can decide what to do with it.

Well, okay I guess. As long as you can admit that it's fairly arbitrary and subjective I guess I'm fine with that.

I can see that the emergence of the roguelite genre only makes the ever impossible question "what is an rpg" even more difficult, and I don't know that I would make the blanket statement "all roguelites are not rpgs", but that is perhaps a debate for another time.

Anyways thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Modern roguelites are very tricky in this. It's a new subgenre that constantly gets further and further away from their Rogue roots. For another example, Monster Train was also one of the best games of the year. Yet, with all the complains in this thread, the only time it was mentioned was as "great game, not an RPG". We had Slay the Spire in the 2019 GOTY, it won 3rd place, but by now it seems clear that deck-building roguelikes have become their own thing, with some games being very RPG-ish (like Dream Quest), while others not moving far from it.

Yeah, but I remmeber like 2 years ago or so Xenonauts were included as RPG. Um...what?
In my opinion, diablo/rogulite-likes like Hades are as far from RPG as tactical squad games like x-com-likes are.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So wait... Starpoint Gemini 3 is, technically, an RPG, right? Their devs came ONTO the Codex and talked to us. But the game is not on Felipepepepepepepepe's list, because he's probably too busy to notice this and is too busy showing his cock on Twatter, so...

which

is

it?

Are we prestigious or not?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So wait... Starpoint Gemini 3 is, technically, an RPG, right? Their devs came ONTO the Codex and talked to us. But the game is not on Felipepepepepepepepe's list, because he's probably too busy to notice this and is too busy showing his cock on Twatter, so...

which

is

it?

Are we prestigious or not?

If Rune II is considered an RPG, then pretty much anything can be I think.

mondblut

Arcane
I know Hades is loved around here, I also think it was probably the best game of the year, but - and I know this is subjective and will open a giant can of worms - I think it's a game mostly about twitch skills, descending from games like Spelunky and especially Binding of Isaac.

Did you just assume their genre?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
DU figured this out years ago - if it's marketed as an RPG, it is one. Hades's Steam page:

Genre: Action Games, Indie, RPG
XXXIX
There are four classes of Idols which beset men's minds. To these for distinction's sake I have assigned names, calling the first class Idols of the Tribe; the second, Idols of the Cave; the third, Idols of the Market Place; the fourth, Idols of the Theater.

XL
The formation of ideas and axioms by true induction is no doubt the proper remedy to be applied for the keeping off and clearing away of idols. To point them out, however, is of great use; for the doctrine of Idols is to the interpretation of nature what the doctrine of the refutation of sophisms is to common logic.

XLI
The Idols of the Tribe have their foundation in human nature itself, and in the tribe or race of men. For it is a false assertion that the sense of man is the measure of things. On the contrary, all perceptions as well of the sense as of the mind are according to the measure of the individual and not according to the measure of the universe. And the human understanding is like a false mirror, which, receiving rays irregularly, distorts and discolors the nature of things by mingling its own nature with it.

XLII
The Idols of the Cave are the idols of the individual man. For everyone (besides the errors common to human nature in general) has a cave or den of his own, which refracts and discolors the light of nature, owing either to his own proper and peculiar nature; or to his education and conversation with others; or to the reading of books, and the authority of those whom he esteems and admires; or to the differences of impressions, accordingly as they take place in a mind preoccupied and predisposed or in a mind indifferent and settled; or the like. So that the spirit of man (according as it is meted out to different individuals) is in fact a thing variable and full of perturbation, and governed as it were by chance. Whence it was well observed by Heraclitus that men look for sciences in their own lesser worlds, and not in the greater or common world.

XLIII
There are also Idols formed by the intercourse and association of men with each other, which I call Idols of the Market Place, on account of the commerce and consort of men there. For it is by discourse that men associate, and words are imposed according to the apprehension of the vulgar. And therefore the ill and unfit choice of words wonderfully obstructs the understanding. Nor do the definitions or explanations wherewith in some things learned men are wont to guard and defend themselves, by any means set the matter right. But words plainly force and overrule the understanding, and throw all into confusion, and lead men away into numberless empty controversies and idle fancies.

XLIV
Lastly, there are Idols which have immigrated into men's minds from the various dogmas of philosophies, and also from wrong laws of demonstration. These I call Idols of the Theater, because in my judgment all the received systems are but so many stage plays, representing worlds of their own creation after an unreal and scenic fashion. Nor is it only of the systems now in vogue, or only of the ancient sects and philosophies, that I speak; for many more plays of the same kind may yet be composed and in like artificial manner set forth; seeing that errors the most widely different have nevertheless causes for the most part alike. Neither again do I mean this only of entire systems, but also of many principles and axioms in science, which by tradition, credulity, and negligence have come to be received.

But of these several kinds of Idols I must speak more largely and exactly, that the understanding may be duly cautioned.

- Novum Organum, Francis Bacon

2116_4.jpg

Nostaljaded

Savant
Ok,next year we could try it out.... if am still alive and there is still internet.
How about doing it this year?
If you are willing and have spare capacity, but for the year before previous [In other words, 2019 released games] where both your stated conditions are (still currently) true. :M

For the following reasons (on games released the year before previous) as sufficient time has passed for:

a. buggy release to be patched and post-release enhancements/refinements. Nowadays, many games going gold/released are actually entering beta testing
b. having more who have played the game (especially so for end-of-year releases/those requiring large time investment) to have a better consensus
c. having more scores normalized from recency bias, e.g. "that's the best 20XX game I've played [as I just finished and enjoyed]" -> Some time later: "yeah, it's one of those good games from 20XX"
d. need not follow what mainstream does as clicks/likes don't matter(?)

[My] primary interest for such poll (on games released the year before previous) is to have (hopefully) a better representation for:

- What are the recent good games which I've not played that have withstand [a little] sands of time?
- What are the [actual/refined] hidden gems that I'm not aware of?
- And to swing a 3-foot pole at those really shitty ones

If wish so [for a trial run], why not also include all nominated games regardless of genres?
I would like to know of codex members' recommended games regardless of genres (and whether there's really a leaning towards 'prestigious' games as a group).

Just separate the non-RPGs into a different question/list/category and also exclude them from ranking for the GOTY.

P.S. If doing, please release the raw data so those with different genre definitions can do their own slice and dice. I can volunteer to manually add in codex members' year of registration after poll closes if need to/can't be automatically referenced/scrapped.

Going through that just reinforced this as one of the worst, if not the absolute worst, years for RPGs. to be fair, it's the same for games in general, but Jesus Christ what a sad list of games..

I'm gonna guess you weren't gaming in the mid 2000s... go take a look at 2005's RPGs.

Maybe 2005 was the worst, but still 2019 and 2020 are on the top 5 of the shittiest years in crpg history, specially considering GOTYs. Besides 2005, there is not another single year clearly inferior to the last biennium and only 2-3 additional years out of 40 (or more fairly 35) are comparable in their mediocrity and can cast doubts on wheter their GOTYs beat 2019-20's or not.

You explained how many "rpgs" were released on the past year but only a small fraction of those 1800-2000 titles marketed mostly as "partially rpgs" (because the supposed hybridization, in reality only conceptual confusion, is now the norm), would have been considered Crpgs in the best moments of the genre. Maybe 200 of those titles or so at the 1998-2004 "Renaissance" and probably less than 50 of those new games would be called rpgs at 1987-1993 Golden Era. Anyway even reducing the absurd initial list to a 2-10% of proper crpgs, vast majority of them continue to be junk or mediocre, there is not a single truly great example comparable to the classics and barely any "decent" title among those. So an infinite amount of nu-rpgs and a good amount of bad to mediocre crpgs don't really add anything to this year quality.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
what did you expect? no one wanted to release rpgs along with cyberpunk

Fishy

Savant
This year was a late bloomer for me, but Yakuza 7 and CP2077 made the wait more than worth it.

Also, I had to give a shit grade to a game I technically didn't play, as Kingdom of Amalur was already a shit game when I played it before the remaster, and there's no way that turd can have been polished into anything else but a shinier turd. And visuals were already not the problem with the original.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I've said it in another thread already, if you look at the list of RPGs that were originally slated to release in 2020 and got delayed, it's like 2 or 3 times the size of list of games that actually got released in 2020.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Do I really have to explain why this is bad? Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.

That's not your opinion on W3 as a game, that's pure butthurt over a game you don't like winning. You changed your vote just to impact the final results. And if a lot of people start doing this, then the scores lose all meaning.

Wow, your deep analysis of the roots of evil in forum polls is baffling and your solution is just pure genius.
  1. Outsource the poll and call the twittercircus to rig the poll instead of 2/3 users changing their votes.
  2. Pit one RPG against 50 action and weeaboos games

I get it now, you turned the poll into a find the odd one out game, you smarty you! It's soooo much fun!

Isn't the obvious solution:
  • You can't change your vote
  • If there isn't more than x votes a day, votes are closed (so you don't wait the last minute and count votes)

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok,next year we could try it out.... if am still alive and there is still internet.
How about doing it this year?
If you are willing and have spare capacity, but for the year before previous [In other words, 2019 released games] where both your stated conditions are (still currently) true. :M

For the following reasons (on games released the year before previous) as sufficient time has passed for:

a. buggy release to be patched and post-release enhancements/refinements. Nowadays, many games going gold/released are actually entering beta testing
b. having more who have played the game (especially so for end-of-year releases/those requiring large time investment) to have a better consensus
c. having more scores normalized from recency bias, e.g. "that's the best 20XX game I've played [as I just finished and enjoyed]" -> Some time later: "yeah, it's one of those good games from 20XX"
d. need not follow what mainstream does as clicks/likes don't matter(?)

[My] primary interest for such poll (on games released the year before previous) is to have (hopefully) a better representation for:

- What are the recent good games which I've not played that have withstand [a little] sands of time?
- What are the [actual/refined] hidden gems that I'm not aware of?
- And to swing a 3-foot pole at those really shitty ones

If wish so [for a trial run], why not also include all nominated games regardless of genres?
I would like to know of codex members' recommended games regardless of genres (and whether there's really a leaning towards 'prestigious' games as a group).

Just separate the non-RPGs into a different question/list/category and also exclude them from ranking for the GOTY.

P.S. If doing, please release the raw data so those with different genre definitions can do their own slice and dice. I can volunteer to manually add in codex members' year of registration after poll closes if need to/can't be automatically referenced/scrapped.
Ahh you are overthinking it mate.We will just plop a recommendation thread for rpgs that were released in 202X year that went under the radar,so people could post them. At some point i will get a bottle of rakia and shift trough all the garbage,ignoring boring JRPGs that butthurt weebs were spamming and games that had nothing to do with rpgs but X retard liked it and decided to recommend it for a goty. Two three weeks later Felipe will do the same and post his goty poll.

It is a codex goty,it makes no sense to have non-rpgs or majority jrpgs as options. It is a forum for classic RPGs after all. Still the main point of the thread would be for people to find/recommend new games that could have went under the radar. That said,there is plenty of threads about obscure rpgs and rpgs that came out during X year.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...serve-more-attention-updated-jan-2020.106945/

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/upcoming-role-playing-games.119870/page-45

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

a nobody

Novice
With no stable definition concerning the boundaries of the RPG genre our only option is to base our opinions on the classification of older games.
Therefore, any change in regards to choosing the participating games contradicts all of the previous polls.

Given the state of both the games and the poll, the only viable way to vote would be to not vote at all.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Now you will see how much democratic is in the democrats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom