Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Since this seems to be reality now, maybe it's time for a replay...

Okay, so I've got the Game of the Year edition on steam. Is there anything else I need to know? Community patches, etc?

I used to shit on this game because the multiple ending was oversold to me and I found the voice acting really grating in Hong Kong. (I acquired Anachronox at the same time, and thought it was a much more memorable game, with excellent voice acting.) I did however finish it back in the day, reloaded and did the other endings.

But I was young... It was just a means to an end. I missed a lot of the subtle things all over the place because I critiqued it as a game, being a kid. I think I played the game as hacker with darts, but I never considered that there were really alternate plays.

Either way, what should I do?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
There’s a big mod (revision, revisited, something like that) that adds a lot of stuff and changes a lot of stuff. Definitely not recommended for first timers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
PC Gaming Wiki should have plenty of tech support options. Should have bought the GOG version btw, usually better with older games.

I highly advise not letting the HUD scale, as it'll be stupidly huge and ruin IMMERSHUN. Unless you're blind, anyway.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You need GMDX: https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx , made by our own resident Ash

It's a mod that tweaks and enhances the game in very substantial ways, but also stays very close to the original. It includes the popular graphics mods (like new vision) but more importantly it improves the gameplay and especially the AI.

I could recommend it even for first time players, but it's a must for subsequent playthroughs.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There’s a big mod (revision, revisited, something like that) that adds a lot of stuff and changes a lot of stuff. Definitely not recommended for first timers.
It's not recommended for anyone. Absolute garbage.

GMDX is the mod for Deus Ex. I do think every respectable individual should play vanilla at some point in their lives, but since the OP has already done that...

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Use Kentie's DX10 renderer and Deus Exe. Just make sure to disable Deus Exe's FPS cap or else you get delays when trying to open up menus.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
You have two GMDX mods though. So you need to be specific. GMDX v9 and GMDX RSD. There is also GMDXv10 which is a community version but it has big game breaking problems.
I prefer GMDX RSD because of the added QoL features such as the augmentation wheel. Vanilla GMDX is great from a pure difficulty perspective I've found RSD too difficult on the harder modes due to its implementation of Elites but this is mostly due to not being familiar with the mechanic.
Vanilla GMDX is closer to Vanilla Deus Ex.

People here were recommending the Helios Texture pack over New Vision and HDTP (Disclaimer I worked on New Vision and HDTP thus am completely biased) I've yet to try it out but I've heard good things.

Going with the DX10 update to Vanilla, I mean sure you can do that if you just want a pure vanilla experience its probably the way to go on a first play.

And if you're really bored you can install Shifter for probably the most craziest playthrough of the game I've ever done.

Gargaune

Magister
Did that.

Game runs too quick.
Fixed it. Thanks. :D
You'll also probably want to enable the Classical Lighting option, Kentie's renderer has some sort of adaptive bloom option which seems cool at first, but becomes practically unplayable with bright objects in dark environments.

Use Kentie's DX10 renderer and Deus Exe. Just make sure to disable Deus Exe's FPS cap or else you get delays when trying to open up menus.
Huh. I thought that was the Borderless Full Screen setting causing it, it went away when I switched to exclusive Full Screen.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finished Deus Ex yesterday, with GMDX 9. My first full run. A year ago I started playing it but something did not click and I abandonned the playthrough during Mission 4. This time I devoured the game in like 10 days.

What a glorious experience it has been. The variety of locations and quests, decent writing and hilarious voice acting... I especially liked the moments when I was wounded and out of ammo, hoping that I'm finally approaching the end of a mission... and then the game threw something else at me, like Walton Simmons on my return trip from the Ocean Lab. It was a difficult fight with like 10% of health and no way to regain at least some of it. But somehow, each time I managed to push through these obstacles without a need to resort to cheat codes. Feels good passing this willpower check.

I'm looking forward to the other parts of the franchise, even though from what I've read they are inferior to the first one.

Alphons

Cipher
I'm looking forward to the other parts of the franchise, even though from what I've read they are inferior to the first one.

You should try out the TCs, I personally recommend Zodiac, 2027 and Nihilum.

Redsun and Hotel Carone have lower quality, but are still enjoyable.

Another great TC is Terminus Machina- though it doesn't take place in the Deus Ex universe and it vastly changes many mechanics.

Haven't played The Nameless Mod (I might check it out after they finish the new update).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Haven't played The Nameless Mod (I might check it out after they finish the new update).
Are they actually working on an update?

Don't. Invisible war is awful, and the modern sequels have the depth of a kiddy pool. The city of prague in mankind divided is pretty neat though, but the story in that game ends after the first act.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Are they actually working on an update?

Really, really slow progress made by either smaller team or 1-3 folks, they do release some updates once in a few months though.
It's better idea to play it now.
Edit - I would rather play it last since it's the largest one and might exhaust you after finishing it and stops you from playing other mods.

It's already huge megamod total convertion, why would you wait eternity for some fixes from unknown group? Chance that it ends in abandonware zone is too high...
Played both "factions" in TNM and it was nice adventure and experience that ol' 90 forum atmosphere that I've never experienced myself due to real-life circumstances.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't think my box has any available slots. All-fan front design below the front input header.
If you really want, you can just buy an external drive in case you might ever need it. They only cost like $20.

By the way, how did your replay go?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I can find and download a game faster than it takes to install from a cd
There are uses for CD drives other than installing games. Plus, as a game collector, I have several physical games that I haven't found on either digital stores nor the usual pirate sites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom