Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warships

Endemic

Arcane
To be exact:

Farragut gets mk12s as an upgrade (6.4km range, 64 knots, 11.7k max damage)
Mahan starts with mk12, mk15 upgrade gives 9.2km/55/11.6k
Benson has mk15 stock, and a mod3 upgrade for 50% more damage
Fletcher has mod3, and a mk16 upgrade (10.5/66/19k)

IJN DD line still has better torps overall, but that's in keeping with historical performance.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Steel ocean, new wows killer

The gameplay, especialy aiming destroys wows, plus it has subs !

Playing this and it's tons much more fun than the russian grind game.

It's f2p on steam.

Haven't been having much luck getting random players to do any kind of teamwork, so... any of you fine chaps playing on EU or RU servers?

kreight

They still havent introduced submarines. No release date either.

Drakron

Arcane
They still havent introduced submarines. No release date either.

Funny I stumbled upon WOWS by hearing about subs ... really dont like their shitty ass implementation of submarine torpedos because its fucking dumb.

So they can take as long until the Comrade responsible for that stupidity gets ... replaced.

kreight

I remember the beefs I had with this game. They reworked aircraft carriers and from nukers made them into a support/dot vehicles. They did make ac gameplay closer to other ships but at the same time made it less impactful.

And another thing was the game's idea of tanking. Supposedly Battleships were the beefiest ships in the game capable of taking a ton of shots. In reality though the situation wad turned upside down. Actual tanking was delegated to destroyers who draw all incoming fire while evading damage with smoke, speed and maneuvuring. And battleships were fragile snipers sitting in the backline and shooting through half of the map. It was so fucked up it boggled my mind.

Norfleet

Funny I stumbled upon WOWS by hearing about subs ... really dont like their shitty ass implementation of submarine torpedos because its fucking dumb.
Subs don't really belong in World of Warships because submarines of that era were too slow and weak to chase down and effectively fight warships toe to toe, and were not really part of fleet actions. Occasionally they managed to destroy a warship by ambushing it, but by and large they were used to prey on shipping rather than fight warships. You would not take a submarine of this era and attack a surface warship group with it simply because you'd have no way of catching up to it, a submerged submarine was horribly slow and a surfaced submarine was a sitting duck.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Subs don't really belong in World of Warships
Neither do carriers for that matter. This game would have been a perfect rock-paper-scissor arcade, if not for the constant obsession of WG to incorporate carriers and other pointless shit.

kreight

Stop whining you bitches. Both subs and aircraft carriers are great. It's not a historical documentary, it's a fucking video game. And it's the best ww2 naval warfrare simulator available like it or not. So shut it.

panda

Savant
Subs don't really belong in World of Warships
Neither do carriers for that matter. This game would have been a perfect rock-paper-scissor arcade, if not for the constant obsession of WG to incorporate carriers and other pointless shit.
Pretty much. Carriers do more harm than good. And while personally i sort of like what they did with the rework, removing CVs would still be better idea.

Drakron

Arcane
Subs don't really belong in World of Warships because submarines of that era were too slow and weak to chase down and effectively fight warships toe to toe, and were not really part of fleet actions. Occasionally they managed to destroy a warship by ambushing it, but by and large they were used to prey on shipping rather than fight warships. You would not take a submarine of this era and attack a surface warship group with it simply because you'd have no way of catching up to it, a submerged submarine was horribly slow and a surfaced submarine was a sitting duck.

Actually submarines have quite the record of warship sunk, especially Japanese aircraft carriers and not only that, Atago that was a Heavy Cruiser was sunk when she was part of Sentai-4 during Battle of Leyte Gulf.
True they werent in formation but thats because they were better working independent, then again Destroyers in reality could not really fight cruisers and battleships and in the game ... well, they certainly do.

They could work simply because of how pathetic static combat in WOWS is, nobody moves and just hugs cover like its a fucking shooter and snipes away but WG increased their speed (then again ship torpedoes in the game are also speed up) so they can catch up, I just dont like their stupid wired guided system and retarded "ping target so the torpedo tracks it" as submarines should simply be area of denial, good to prevent flanks and even sneak into the back line to provide intel as well the occasional torpedo attack on some island hogging ship.

As for the REMOVE CV ...

Well fuck off, they were part of WW II and you just pissy because being a toxic DD main all you fucking want is fire torpedoes out of detection range, go eat a dick.

That said, at lower tier ... yes, its dumb because they arent very well implemented and really break it down due to having a bunch of WW I era ships fighting what are 1920 earlier aircraft carriers and the MM is retarded allowing double CV games that is really stupid but why is there double CV games? Because the playerbase when not busy bitching and moaning about something its usually doing exactly what they bitch and moan, like "oh Belfast is so OP" but moment there is a reason to bring out the so called OP ship, they do it, they just dont want anyone else to have access to it because its bad for the game (their WR) ... hypocrites, same reason why they do that shit with Tier 4 CVs and abuse the MM allowing double CV games.

Drakron

Arcane
Well, i mean no offense, but do you realize that latter is pretty much main contributor to the former?

Not really, CVs "main" problem is they spot ships as CV damage tends to be on the pathetic side ... its not direct damage but rather informing your teammates of were the red ships are. Of course this is at higher tier.

Reason nobody moves is because DDs, you dont want to wander into their perfectly balanced wall of skill and so everyone moves ever so slowly until DDs positions are identified and they are dealt with and people also will simply stop and shoot until they can push, CV or no CV people dont budge because if you move and get caught in a crossfire you are simply sunk, the game is passive with CV or no CV ... DDs can spot too.

The lastest CV OP argument been about FDR despite it have very obvious problems, for one it cannot deal with DD (that makes me amused when DD mains complains about it) and second, as it lacks CAP on squadrons it cannot just put a spot zone ...of course the argument ends up bog down to its Alpha against BBs and CLs even if its squadrons are "tanky" they wont survive against CAP or Fighters due to the mechanics involved, there are better CVs, even Midway is better as its a more flexible ship.

And speaking of that, we have MvR that being German gets AP rockets that only hit bots because they were nerfed into the ground and are only usable against cruisers and then get shit Torps that dont have much of a flood chance that are meant to be used against DDs apparently were the hail Mary was having good AP bombers that were accurate ... were accurate, they increased the reticle and now they are shit for the same reason GZ is shit.

So no, they arent ... people wont just push be or not be CV, brawling is not rewarded in this game as armor and dispersion mechanics mean you want to stay away as far as possible and just HE the enemy to death.

panda

Savant
CVs "main" problem is they spot ships as CV damage tends to be on the pathetic side ... its not direct damage but rather informing your teammates of were the red ships are.
Uhm, yes, you say absolutely right things(apart from CVs damage being pathetic).
You can't really push or force breakthrough with small force, sneak with low detection ships(i specifially mean CL's here, as you seem to have some gripe with DDs, though DDs fall here too ofc), or flank with strong CA exactly due to reasons you listed.
That's why i'm really confused by your conclusion
Not really
instead of something absolutely logically deducting from your own arguments. Like:
CVs completely shut down any offensive gameplay except slow blob push

Last edited:

panda

Savant
As for
Reason nobody moves is because DDs
this is separate matter from CVs discussion and quite questionable statement too. My personal opinion based on in game experience is that player's incentive and ability to push on winning flank mostly correlates with skill and map awareness (as well, but to a lesser degree, with friendly fleet composition in question and even confidence in teammates) rather than sole fact of presence of red DDs. Good players will seize opportunity to move when they see advantage, bad players will sit behind islands no matter what(even when there are no red DDs around), as they got used to the fact that they usually die fast in engagements and thus are often afraid of their own shadows.

Drakron

Arcane
CV dont really change how games are played, their impact ends up being scouting and since CV vs CV doesnt really work and outside weird misplays (I once saw a Saipan going to the front line, got sunk real fast) each side will typically have the same advantage, if only on opposite flanks.

CVs can deal damage but its not the same as when a Minotaur presents a bit of a side to a USN Cruiser or the wall of skill certain IJN DDs can do, they are on the pathetic side ... heck I faced Enterprise on my Harekaze that sunk me but still took about 4 strikes to do it, CVs outside FDR dont have much alpha short of weird shenanigans like a DD eating a torp thats fairly uncommon, there is some theoretical damage but then again, look at the AP rockets that are so easy to just angle and they end up doing jack shit (maybe outside CLs), in theory they should deal damage but in reality only bots will take damge.

In the end, CVs dont prevent pushes for their damage because about any other class can deal consistently more damage, DDs on the other hand have far bigger alphas and they are as capable as scouts ... sure they have some counters like Radar but then you notice how DD mains when not bitching about CVs are bitching about Radar but DD can also simply DELET BB with a wall of skill as FDR cannot do that, high tier Italian cruisers can do horrible things to cruisers with their high velocity guns with AP (despite the bitching being about SAP, of course they can also do horrible things to DDs with SAP) and then we have the Super Heavy Cruiser known as Thunderer because that is not a BB, not with that LOL PEN guided by His Royal Majesty hand shells, heck Slava despite the Reeeeeeeeeee Russian Bias ended up as a very situational boring ship ... CVs outside low tier simply lack the impact and this is because Tier IV are the training wheels CVs, before you learned that CVs really dont have infinite planes (play Saipan and you learn that very fast, like when sending your 3nd strike out) and you dont get to have the same flight strike 2-3 times and more like 1-2 because AA really ramps up, this is why the seal clubbers are all on the lower tier and why its rare seeing 2 CVs outside Tier IV because Tier VIII USN AA isnt fun for Tier VI planes.

A CV cannot shut a offensive play because its lacks the DAMAGE to do so, it can shut down SOLO attempts because if I see a BB parked on my base, of course I immediate hit f and send whatever I have to stop him ... likely wont sink it as my teammates also have to switch targets and do it for me but anything that gets close to 10km of a CV is very capable of sinking it, once I had a DD closing and I thought it was over but for some reason instead of pushing he decided to a very stupid thing, he turned back, smoked parked in the middle of two small islands when all I had was a Torpedo squadron in the air ... the channel were he stuck himself was only wide enough to allow a torpedo spread, if he pushed I would have to attempt to torpedo him on open waters and I could only do it once before he was within striking range and he knew were I was.

And I am bad at the game and even worst at PvP.

panda

Savant
CV dont really change how games are played
Depends on what you mean by that.
If we are talking about people's decisions you are probably right. Even if CV presence completely alters actions of e.g. me(up to a degree that i'd say playing something akin to radar Mino with CV is like playing entirely different game altogether) and few more guys on the map, it is also true that 90% of players barely care and your point stands.
If we are talking about game flow between CV/non CV games then IMO it is very obvious that you are wrong here.

For example, in the same post even
A CV cannot shut a offensive play because its lacks the DAMAGE to do so, it can shut down SOLO attempts
You agree that CV can quickly punish any overextension from blob on opposite side, thus infuencing flow of the game by mere own existence. IMO it only reinforces my previous statement about CVs shutting down offensive gameplay options except blob push.
"SOLO" part is also questionable(unless you meant single CV without support too). Two ships offence? Strong AA boats (like Mino/Worcester) needed to significantly contain airdrops but those usually fragile, so CV will supress such comps simply by spotting. Three? Small blob already(and yet can be pressured too without strong AA units).

Overall, here is good take that i saw on another board:
CVs bother strong players much more than weak ones. The ability of the CV to put some amount of almost guaranteed damage on a target is very impactful to a strong player, but noobs take damage constantly all the time anyway. The spotting power of CVs also constrains tactical options for good players, but noobs barely notice. CVs do bother some new players, but my experience is that new players are more bothered by ways to die quickly (torpedoes and BB AP) than they are by the slow bleed of hard-to-prevent CV damage.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Honestly I am more concerned about the Captain skills Reeeework and its fucking stupid, if you had a problem with CVs before then you end up more pissed now simply because there is not much you can do to the ship (CV) itself so all the buffs ended up in the squadrons ... a lot is, as expected, shit you never pick ... hold on, let me give you this gem ...

• Interceptor: the Patrol Fighters consumable is replaced by Interceptors. The aircraft called in are invulnerable to hostile fighters, do not attack hostile fighters, and do not spot hostile ships. Their patrol zone is increased by 10%. Thus, your fighters will only hunt enemy strike squadrons.
  • Enhanced Reactions: the fighters you call in attack hostile aircraft not after 5 seconds, but after 1 second spent in the patrol zone. However, it takes them longer to arrive at the patrol zone, and they stop their patrolling faster.
  • Use these two skills together: Interceptor will protect your fighters against enemy fighters and increase your patrol zone area, while Enhanced Reactions will speed up your fighters' reactions to enemy squadrons. When combined, these skills will enhance your ability to counter enemy aircraft and defend your allies.

Except what those fucking vodka sniffing retards FAIL to understand is as it stands CAP DO NOT attack enemy CAP and its how CAP are used for spotting so by taking those skills all you do is nerf yourself as if with the rework CAP attack CAP then you can try to limit enemy spotting capabilities with at least CAP MAD and so there is a proper CV vs CV interaction instead of the usual mutual ignoring and by using points on those skills you are simply setting yourself back to a worst system since all you do is slightly inconvenience the Red CV because nobody is going to fly right into the CAP zone unless they missed its existence or they have no choice.

kreight

all these whiners. CV this CV that. Have you ever fucking drive one? A lvl 8 or lvl 6 against lvl 10 or lvl 8? Your planes will melt even before you can approach the fucking ship. You gonna whine again? stfu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom