Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror rpgs: what's the appeal?

Stella Brando

Arcane
I've looked at the Call of Cthulhu RPG book and it seems very appealing. Mainly because the setting, tone and rule system are so different to DnD, which feels pretty tired to me. To a lot of people playing an RPG means playing DnD.

That said, CoC seems to be a game where a lot of acting is required. I spent most of my life playing computer RPGs, which always teach their players that RPGs are about combat, not acting.

I've seen games where players acted very heavily and I just can't take it seriously, it just seems so goofy. These RPG actors remind me of an episode of Married with Children where Steve (Marcy's original husband) talks about being a 'choir jock' in school. He acts as if being into performing arts puts you above the standard nerd (unless you're good looking, it doesn't).

102-i3.jpg

'Choir jock' Steve Rhoades

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Brando, I don't think acting is really necessary. I'm on a campaign of Cthulhu Dark (a lighter CoC) and my crew don't really act, just describe what their characters are speaking or doing on a given scene. Well, except if you consider "I approach the barman and say: Hello, a beer please" acting. We don't do funny voices and such.

Eldagusto

Educated
Sometimes people just really like the aesthetics. Same with horror movies and stories, I don’t listen or read em to be scared but because I find them intriguing.

Ulysa

Scholar
It's not about being *really* scared. Well what I enjoy is the atmosphere, suspense, and mystery. Like the first part of Alien when it builds up the tension .

Silva

Arcane
It's not about being *really* scared. Well what I enjoy is the atmosphere, suspense, and mystery. Like the first part of Alien when it builds up the tension .
Thats fair. But suspenseful atmosphere can also be achieved in a dungeon in D&D or a Shadowrun biotech lab or something. Wih the added benefit of an interesting tactical game attached which most pure horror/terror RPGs lack.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The tension in a horror game is usually based in the fact that your character(s) are almost always physically/mentally vulnerable or even frail in the face of the threat. You investigate, you try to outwit the horrorific thing and if you're very lucky or very clever you avoid going insane and subvert the threat.

A tactical combat game, or a zero-to-hero gamecan be fun, but they scratch a very different itch.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah yeah, I said this in the start of this thread, that frailty or vulnerability is important to the genre.

Anyway, I must conclude it's not for me. I gave it a fair chance with Cthulhu Dark and Delta Green and didnt enjoy the experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom