Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Wunderbar

Arcane
Beating the game and mastering the downward slash on a keyboard is absolutely possible, i played the game that way.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And ffs I just can't do vertical attacks, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Not using a controller is the first thing that comes to mind! A controller with a good D-pad, like the playstation pad, to avoid misdirections (particulary important to do the downward attack consistently). The Xbox one is pure garbage.
Interesting. I had no idea I could connect my PS4 pad to my laptop. I will try this [instead of buying the console version of the game]...

Not using a controller is the first thing that comes to mind! A controller with a good D-pad, like the playstation pad, to avoid misdirections (particulary important to do the downward attack consistently). The Xbox one is pure garbage.

I don't think a d-pad is necessary at all. I haven't used the XBox controller very much for Hollow Knight, as I mostly play Hollow Knight on my Switch, but I have little problem using the analog sticks on the Switch Pro controller to execute down attacks. Very occasionally if I am being super-slouchy on the couch and have lost my sense of cardinal orientation I will miss one, but it's an easy fix (stop being a slouchy fat-ass).

ok I finally got to Mantis Lords.

fuuuck

This is largely what I was referring to earlier. I don't think any boss in the game gave me as much trouble on my first playthrough as the Mantis Lords (maaaayyyybe Traitor King). They are the game kicking you in the nose and saying "No. We've coddled you enough. Learn how to use all the tools at your disposal, or you will not be going any further."

It feels like a really brutal lesson, but once learned it's not one that's easy to forget, and if you ever do a repeat playthrough you will likely find it's made the early game a total cakewalk.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Dear Lord, how one's perception of this game changes. Today the Hornet was a breeze. I thing I got hit once during the whole fight.

Amazing game.
Yeah, you have to sleep on shit after you put in the grind. Skill adaptations occur during rest, not while participating in the activity. Like weightlifting

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear Lord, how one's perception of this game changes. Today the Hornet was a breeze. I thing I got hit once during the whole fight.

Amazing game.
Yeah, you have to sleep on shit after you put in the grind. Skill adaptations occur during rest, not while participating in the activity. Like weightlifting
for me it was lost kin

Tigranes

Arcane
It's been a while, but there were several bosses that took me several dozen tries each - I'm not a very good action game player. It was really gratifying to eventually ~100% the thing and see my skill improve, though.

I think one of the arena fights in particular took me a god damn week, because it's a fucking rolling gauntlet of 12 different fights in one

Elwro

Arcane
Where you get the Dash Master charm there's a secret to the left. It seems I should use the Claw to go up but I can't make the jump for the Claw to touch the other vertical wall. Just tell me if something else should be used there or I just suck with the Claw?

Also: is this game like DS in that if you're not in a very specific place at a very specific time you might miss an NPC / break a quest chain etc? I just met some new char next to a stag station I haven't visited in a while...

Where you get the Dash Master charm there's a secret to the left. It seems I should use the Claw to go up but I can't make the jump for the Claw to touch the other vertical wall. Just tell me if something else should be used there or I just suck with the Claw?

Also: is this game like DS in that if you're not in a very specific place at a very specific time you might miss an NPC / break a quest chain etc? I just met some new char next to a stag station I haven't visited in a while...

I believe that secret you’re referring to is technically possible with just the claw, but it’s very difficult (there are a few of these in the game). You’ll get an item later on that will make it very easy to get though.

HK isn’t as obtuse as DS re:missing content. It’s possible to let some characters die or miss out on quests, but the game does a pretty good job of telling you that you’re doing so in advance (e.g. if you see a character trapped in a spider web and just leave instead of saving them, that character is probably going to not be around anymore, or if you meet a new character and just ignore them instead of talking to them you might miss out on a quest/storyline), but you can never miss out due to not being in the right place at the right time.

Elwro

Arcane
I have to say the 2nd part of the spiky path to the City of Tears is kinda challenging, especially with my dark spirit blocking it. You cannot waste even a single move before you jump to the ledge with the spirit, because otherwise the spirit moves so that you have to collide with it (so you lose 2 points, 1 for the spirit and 1 for the spikes). I haven't found a close enough bench to comfortably practice it (the Queen's Station and the Leg Eater benches are far but the path is easy, while the path up from the Mantis Village bench next to where you get the Dashmaster charm is not easy at all, it seems.

Grrr. Taking a break

I have to say the 2nd part of the spiky path to the City of Tears is kinda challenging, especially with my dark spirit blocking it. You cannot waste even a single move before you jump to the ledge with the spirit, because otherwise the spirit moves so that you have to collide with it (so you lose 2 points, 1 for the spirit and 1 for the spikes). I haven't found a close enough bench to comfortably practice it (the Queen's Station and the Leg Eater benches are far but the path is easy, while the path up from the Mantis Village bench next to where you get the Dashmaster charm is not easy at all, it seems.

Grrr. Taking a break

Just making sure that you've realized you can
use the downward slash to bounce over spikes.

I got embarassingly far into my first playthrough before I realized that.

polo

Magister
Yeah, you can live without it tho, but its quite useful in some scenarios.

Elwro

Arcane

WAT

Oh.

Well, thanks. Not sure this will help with this particular sequence but it will certainly be of immense help elsewhere.

Jesus. Wondering what else I've missed.

Ivan

Arcane

WAT

Oh.

Well, thanks. Not sure this will help with this particular sequence but it will certainly be of immense help elsewhere.

Jesus. Wondering what else I've missed.

you will def need to master this in the secret platforming area <3

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
This game is a damn masterpiece: the atmosphere, the music, the art, the combat and secrets, the bosses, the exploration, the progression all top notches.
i completed the game( 118 % or whatever was the percentage for beating last pantheon and AR) one year ago and since then it entered in my top ten of goats. Btw if mantis lord seems difficult you have no idea what awaits you. The hardest boss for me was PV ( not gonna spoiler the name) . it was on par on the hardest bosses of souls series maybe even more punishing. Last boss wich was awesome was sligthly easier . If you also truly complete the game you'll unferstand.

HansDampf

Arcane
PV?

*checkswiki*

Seems a lot of challenging, optional content was added since last I played it. Nightmare King used to be the hardest boss, by far. Could be worth another playthrough before Silksong arrives.
:updatedmytxt:

Elwro

Arcane
Went through the Waterways to the Mantis Village again. Just a question: do I need to buy the lantern in Dirtmouth or can it be found somewhere? I don't want to grind for those 1800...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Don't worry about money. For now, just go to other areas. There will come a time when you won't have stuff to spend your money on... (and then you'll get to the DLC part and go broke :P ).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom