Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
Oh, hang on then... I'm guilty on that, wasn't aware about it, but if players can indeed interact with each other like that, then yes, even with a player limit of 50, I see no reason not to consider it an MMO.

The 50 people limit is only for now due to one star system being on one server. Once they will implement server meshing you will have multiple/dozens or even 100s of servers running one system which previously was on one server. Once they do V2 of that in theory they can have unlimited amount of players without instancing until your rig explodes.

I remember video of server meshing in practice from one of their citizencons. I think it was that one before last one. They showed people shooting each other which were on different servers and if someone wouldn't tell you about it, you wouldn't see difference.

Yeah, I'm aware...

… and yes, I’m aware that it’s a “temporary” thing due testing reasons

I'm not going to lie though, sounds pretty neat but wondering how it will work out with high latency players and shit.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Another limitation is your actual network topology - if your server is to be equidistant to all the other servers you're meshing with, you either need a fully connected network (which for 10 nodes means 8 network inerfaces for the mesh alone, with no redundancy, and you probably want to have one for management and one for provisioning, so 10 ports); or have a nice switch all those nodes connect to, adding more latency. This is quite hard. To give you some idea, here's a tech blog from EVE Online from 5 years ago: https://www.eveonline.com/article/tranquility-tech-3, describing the kind of hardware they use. Note that even in there the nodes are discrete blades, so to talk to each other they would need to go through the network, and given that they have only 2 ports, a switch must be involved.
Switches add negligible latency. If they do have shards in different regions and have to route communication between datacenters around the world, that is where server-server latency could become a problem.

I doubt they will ever achieve being able to see/shoot between servers. But as long as they can instance planetary systems to a dedicated server, they should be able to increase the player cap and provide big scale battles.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Switch latency is negligible for some uses, but for others is not. 1us might be quite a lot for some people, and completley irrelevant for others. I think that for a game that plans to do what SC is saying they plan to do, it needs to be taken into consideration.

Fishy

Savant
Willl will will, could could could, should should should, wait until, just needs, once they... SC in a nutshell.

971c5e65f7a7bd4a565def6b7d6481b4.jpg

And if you can't vote, just buy an Idris.

zapotec

Liturgist
I wonder if actually finishing the game will be less profitable than maintaining the current status quo of eternal alpha.

Perkel

Arcane
I wonder if actually finishing the game will be less profitable than maintaining the current status quo of eternal alpha.

I don't see how. They made roughly 300mln in past 8 years that sounds like a lot but if they release game and it will be hit to sell 10mln poppies they would get 600mln - taxes and no one says they can't sell micro which will probably a lot more than that. Moreover they are burning pretty much everything they earned from crowfunding on developement according to their financial reports in UK.

Also from what i heard about their plans toward selling game they plan to have model where each character is separate copy of game you need to buy. IT is not set in stone yet but that was one of the models they pitched to fund continuous development after release. They were also looking at EVE model.

ADL

Prophet
The consoles are now powerful enough to run it so I predict it will be announced for consoles. Whether or not it actually releases for the consoles it's announced for is another question entirely. Regardless, I look forward to the E3 meltdown when Chris Roberts comes out on stage at a big Sony/Microsoft presser.

It's definitely playable on a controller but I hope a keyboard is highly recommended for chat purposes as it'll almost certainly be crossplay if and when it happens.

Perkel

Arcane
Tested it today more and i have to say 3.12 is the most bug free and stable build i have played. Spent like 4 hours doing missions and stuff and i never got any crasah or bug. Which previously happened to me only once usually game would crash in 2-3 hours or bugs would make it unplayable. There is naturally server lag but outside of that pretty much smooth sailing.

Ten million copies after release? They plan to release it for consoles?

They already "sold" 2mln copies and they didn't even release game. Only way to play SC right now is to get 50$+tax pack and CIG reported that around 600k players "play" SC monthly. SQ42 is supposed ot feature big stars and nice graphics so it should sell a lot regardless if game will be crap or not as normies love that kind of crap.

The consoles are now powerful enough to run it so I predict it will be announced for consoles. .

Right now with just one system and limited servers game already takes around 22GB RAM and around 6-7GB VRAM played at 1080p. It is unoptimized yet but i doubt those requirements will change much as scope of the game and amount of stuff on screen will only increase.

So i doubt it.

zapotec

Liturgist
That's the point they already sold the game to 2/3 million users, unless they wait for my nephew to turn 18, they have already almost exhausted the userbase.

Perkel

Arcane
That's the point they already sold the game to 2/3 million users, unless they wait for my nephew to turn 18, they have already almost exhausted the userbase.

Most of people do not buy early access games. It is minority that does it.

zapotec

Liturgist
yea because there are other 10 millions people just waiting for the release.

Perkel

Arcane
yea because there are other 10 millions people just waiting for the release.

Is this one of those "They will run out of money soon(tm) ?" They literally just doubled money earned this year compared to previous year. The argument that no one wants to play it or only small handful of people got old about 4 years ago when they crossed their first million of users.

My opinion is that they can and will break 10mln if they will release SQ42. Even if the game will be mediacore wing commander like structure with well loved actors will gather shitload of attention which equals a lot of copies sold.

zapotec

Liturgist
My argument is "why they should release the game, when they are making money in the current eternal alpha state?" while your reply was "There are millions of people just waiting for the release!!"

Also, how they can sell 10 millions copies with Squadron42 when popamole Star Wars squadron sold one million copies is beyond my imagination (and it sold just one million copies because sci-fi ships videogames do not sell well).

Perkel

Arcane
But how can it sell 10mln coppies when it sold already 3mln in early alpha while not even being released while SW squadron only sold 1 mln and was released ?

Do you see problem here ? They already outsold by two times SW Squadron while not even being released.

Despite bugs, constant crashes and very little gameplay systems they actually got 3mln people. And somehow you don't believe they can go for 10mln sales. I don't really care how much they sell but it is idiotic to assume they won't sell a lot SQ42 when it will finally come out.

zapotec

Liturgist
Let's make it simple:

In its early access state DayZ sold 4 millions copies from 2013-2018 (release date included) they sold another one million copies and in 2020 another one million.

Do you see that the numbers are not decuplicating after the release? That's because early access games does not get a big boost of sales if the game is not released ASAP.

In 5 years of early access people interested in the game would have already bought it!

Remember we are talking about YEARS, not weeks, they are not buying an house, the "only a minority buy early access" it's not a valid argument when we are talking about games with years of early access.

In 5/8 years people with an interest to the game, but unsure to buy it because it's an early access, would buy it anyway because maybe during that large period of time they manage to have some cash to burn off or they get drunk.

Perkel

Arcane
Pretty fair assestment of game state as of start of 2021 for people who don't know about state of the game as of now:

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Let's make it simple:

In its early access state DayZ sold 4 millions copies from 2013-2018 (release date included) they sold another one million copies and in 2020 another one million.

Do you see that the numbers are not decuplicating after the release? That's because early access games does not get a big boost of sales if the game is not released ASAP.

In 5 years of early access people interested in the game would have already bought it!

Remember we are talking about YEARS, not weeks, they are not buying an house, the "only a minority buy early access" it's not a valid argument when we are talking about games with years of early access.

In 5/8 years people with an interest to the game, but unsure to buy it because it's an early access, would buy it anyway because maybe during that large period of time they manage to have some cash to burn off or they get drunk.
Problem with this comparison is that you're talking SQ42, which is not an early access game. Presumably most of the people who wanted to play DayZ had already played it when it 'released' and the release was a non-event. No one has played SQ42, so the release will be an actual release. CIG aren't making hardly any money off SQ42 hype which is all but dead at this point. They only stand to gain by releasing it.

zapotec

Liturgist
There is no problem with that comparison because i was talking about Star Citizen.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's make it simple:

Problem with this comparison is that you're talking SQ42, which is not an early access game. Presumably most of the people who wanted to play DayZ had already played it when it 'released' and the release was a non-event. No one has played SQ42, so the release will be an actual release. CIG aren't making hardly any money off SQ42 hype which is all but dead at this point. They only stand to gain by releasing it.

To think that all the actors in the cutscenes will be long dead by then....the credits will be a bonafide IN MEMORIAM.

Myobi

Liturgist
CIG aren't making hardly any money off SQ42 hype

x'D

It's true. They've basically been radio silent on Squadron for years. They make their big money around the ship sales and events for the PU.

What you on about? They had yet another "release" date for it late last year, they just missed it like the previous ones. But that isn’t even what I found funny, “making money off hype” pretty much sums up CIG entire business, maybe once it stops selling, they might actually focus on trying to sell some fucking video games.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
They didn't have a release date last year, they had a date for when the game would enter internal beta. And that had been given when the old roadmap first came out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom