Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Bara

Arcane
I also find it weird that the after complaining that wotc for still selling Oriental Adventures on dmsguild he accepted a job with wotc while Oriental Adventures is still available.

Either he got over it or money proves him to be a hypocrite. Ah well third party still be a thing and at least maybe the new Dragonlance book will be a decent nostalgia trip.

Bara

Arcane
Thought occurs about the new Dragonlance novels comming out. I don't think this means they'll release Dragonlance for 5e.

It could just be that they're committing to their legal requirements to end the lawsuit. Suppose we'll see during the lead up to the release how wotc acts.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Thought occurs about the new Dragonlance novels comming out. I don't think this means they'll release Dragonlance for 5e.

We've reached a point where I don't know if that's good or bad anymore. Right now I've given up on 5e and probably the best thing that could happen is somehow D&D escaping the big industry corporations like Hasbro and being in the hands of a smallish independent company that could truly focus on what is important. Could have happened after the 4e disaster, but it's highly unlikely at this point, if not impossible.

Mortmal

Arcane
Indies taking the crown is impossible and for good reasons . I wanted to play shadow of the demon lord, but online on fantasy grounds , there was some rumor it was ported. Went to the sotdl discord, no one knows nor have any idea, no answers from any officials. Went to FG discord, much faster answer there ,they dont even know if someone working on it, nor if anyone working on anything by the way ...
While 5E gets ton of adventures and third party support , its extremely easy to find people to play with , as the DM you are the cute girl on tinder.

7h30n

Augur
This day marks the end of my 4 year and 3 month long campaign in D&D 5e.

So long 5th edition, I can finally retire as a DM (at least for a while). My next campaign will probably be something in Cyberpunk RED, Star Wars d20 (which I love & hate, but my players seem to enjoy it), more 5th edition but with a lot more OSR influences or simply some OSR game. Either way, I can finally have peace for at least a month.

Codex Year of the Donut
Indies taking the crown is impossible and for good reasons . I wanted to play shadow of the demon lord, but online on fantasy grounds , there was some rumor it was ported. Went to the sotdl discord, no one knows nor have any idea, no answers from any officials. Went to FG discord, much faster answer there ,they dont even know if someone working on it, nor if anyone working on anything by the way ...
While 5E gets ton of adventures and third party support , its extremely easy to find people to play with , as the DM you are the cute girl on tinder.
playing RPGs online is fake and gay bugman shit, just play a videogame at that point

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One of the adventures they really did wheel chai accesible dungeons.

Of course a lich villain would try to make his dungeon accessible for disabled people/sarcasm

Now seriously. It makes me sad. No official adventure for other realms of dread except Ravenloft, no official adventure in Dark Sun...

D&D is a very high magical setting. Is probably cheaper to just pay a caster to fix your body than to make a wheelchair.

Mortmal

Arcane
playing RPGs online is fake and gay bugman shit, just play a videogame at that point

Name great d&d videogames released in the last 20 years...Oh and 6pm curfew.

Bara

Arcane
Now seriously. It makes me sad. No official adventure for other realms of dread except Ravenloft, no official adventure in Dark Sun...

Well if you want actual good D&D adventures that's based on the older settings but in 5E you could always check out the goodman game Original Adventures Reincarnated series

Temple of Elemental Evil for 5e is supposed to be the next but honestly if your playing the original adventures might as well try to find a group for B/X or 1e and get original pdfs for cheaper unless you find the expanded parts really valuable.

Kinda surprised they haven't done anything with the second edition era adventures yet.

deuxhero

Arcane
Star Wars d20 (which I love & hate, but my players seem to enjoy it)

As someone who likes the d20 system and Star Wars, I can clearly say Star Wars d20 is an utter mess. Saga Edition however is an excellent system with a few issues (don't allow Skill Focus: Use the Force, make sure non-Jedi characters have access to non-core options).

Bara

Arcane
Kinda surprised they haven't done anything with the second edition era adventures yet.
It takes a lot of effort to get rid of all the problematic elements and add oppressed black tranny characters to the story.

They don't make any sort of changes to remove problematic material though. Each of the original adventure reincarnated books even include a full reprint of the original adventure as published.

So I really do wonder why they haven't done a single 2E adventure yet when they did Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and now ToEE.

Mortmal

Arcane
It takes a lot of effort to get rid of all the problematic elements and add oppressed black tranny characters to the story.

They don't make any sort of changes to remove problematic material though. Each of the original adventure reincarnated books even include a full reprint of the original adventure as published.

So I really do wonder why they haven't done a single 2E adventure yet when they did Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and now ToEE.
Apprently adventures arent profitable to them they are making more money with campaign books thats why you dont see any of them . Also its worth reading magazines too, compare Dungeon's magazine of today , issues like 37, 70 112, or 120 , their adventure are now short uninspiring with big pictures filling the pages.You wont find the quality of the 2e era anymore.

7h30n

Augur
Star Wars d20 (which I love & hate, but my players seem to enjoy it)

As someone who likes the d20 system and Star Wars, I can clearly say Star Wars d20 is an utter mess. Saga Edition however is an excellent system with a few issues (don't allow Skill Focus: Use the Force, make sure non-Jedi characters have access to non-core options).

Took a look at it, and looks a lot more cleaned up. But, we will actually start the SW campaign using Stars Without Number Revised with Crawford's own customization which adds Space Monks, i.e. Jedis/Force-Users. It's fairly light weight, and half of the players are new, so it should be a lot easier to pick up than D&D 3, 4 or 5.

Bara

Arcane
I really want a Kaldheim D&D Campaign Setting World book.

It's the new magic the gathering setting with vikings and such for those who were wondering.

In other news the new dragon lance trilogy is officially confirmed straight from hickman's website.

Wilmington, NC – January 25, 2021 – Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are pleased to announce a multi-year licensing agreement with Wizards of the Coast to produce a new, three
book series of Classic Dragonlance novels.

The new trilogy will return fans to the most beloved characters from the original novels along with introducing a new strong protagonist. The books will be published by Del Rey Books, an
imprint of Penguin Random House. Although a publishing date has not yet been formally set, they anticipate announcing when the first book will be released later this year.

“We couldn’t be happier to be returning to the world we love,” says Margaret Weis. “Dragonlance is what brought Tracy and I together so many years ago. We’re thrilled to be able to do this for existing lovers of Krynn while bringing our beloved characters to a new generation of readers.”

The first Classic Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, was written by Weis and Hickman and published in 1984. Since that time, more than 190 novels have been published in the setting. Weis and Hickman have collaborated on numerous series over the last 30 years including projects set within the world of Classic Dragonlance and outside of it. Two notable series are The Death Gate Cycle and The Darksword Series, both published by Penguin Random House.

“We credit the fans of Dragonlance for making this journey possible,” says Tracy Hickman. “We wrote this series out of our thanks to them for this amazing life-long journey…and from our wish that they join us once more on the road to Solace.”

The license for the series was secured by Weis & Hickman in 2018. Their recent dispute with Wizards of the Coast was resolved at the end of 2020, with all parties pleased to have come to agreement on how best to move forward with the trilogy. All are focused on producing the best series possible and will not comment on the past dispute other than to say it has been resolved.

Watch for additional news from Weis and Hickman about Classic Dragonlance and other projects on the horizon in the coming months.

So for better or for worse 5e Dragonlance seems like it'll be a thing now or at least it won't just be books with that last bit about "other projects on the horizon in the coming months."

Though I should add that wotc hasn't put up anything on their end for cross-promotion of this announcement yet so maybe they're just pushing this out to fufill the contract and then forgetting dragonlance is a thing.

I'm just happy I have the 1e campagin book to self port up and down the editions as needed.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Well more Ravenloft hints and looks like Tasha's optinal rule for ASIs remaning optinal was a lie in the new unearthed arcana playtest material.

All the new races have free assign for their +2 & +1s.

I guess you could make them have to pick the base races ASIs such that if you play a damphir in this play test thats a dwarf they have to use the dwarven racial modifiers.

Design Note: Changes to Racial Traits

In 2020, the book Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything introduced the option to customize several of your character’s racial traits, specifically the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, and traits that give
skill, armor, weapon, or tool proficiencies.

Following in that book’s footsteps, the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural.

Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of
a particular lineage.

Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or
innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also
don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage.

Finally, going forward, the term “race” in D&D refers only to the suite of game features used by player characters. Said features don’t have any bearing on monsters and NPCs who are members of the same species or lineage, since monsters and NPCs in D&D don’t rely on race or class to function.

Moreover, DMs are empowered to customize the features of the creatures in their game as they wish.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Well more Ravenloft hints and looks like Tasha's optinal rule for ASIs remaning optinal was a lie in the new unearthed arcana playtest material.

All the new races have free assign for their +2 & +1s.

I guess you could make them have to pick the base races ASIs such that if you play a damphir in this play test thats a dwarf they have to use the dwarven racial modifiers.

Design Note: Changes to Racial Traits

In 2020, the book Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything introduced the option to customize several of your character’s racial traits, specifically the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, and traits that give
skill, armor, weapon, or tool proficiencies.

Following in that book’s footsteps, the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural.

Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of
a particular lineage.

Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or
innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also
don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage.

Finally, going forward, the term “race” in D&D refers only to the suite of game features used by player characters. Said features don’t have any bearing on monsters and NPCs who are members of the same species or lineage, since monsters and NPCs in D&D don’t rely on race or class to function.

Moreover, DMs are empowered to customize the features of the creatures in their game as they wish.

Okay, thanks WoTC, I am sure the orc lawful-good rocket scientists are proud of you. Now just make me a fucking system in which my players believe they can die and that doesn't include 300hp enemies. Among other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom