Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Curratum

you didn't notice it, you just saw a youtube video pointing this out. Don't act like all offended like "oh i saw a heineken can in a fantasy game, it was right in my face! literally unplayable!".
Dude, I'm one of the biggest apologists of DS2 here on the Codex. Not Curratum-levels of "this is the best game in the series, Dark Souls 1 is complete shit in comparison", but still pretty autistic about it. Never said that the game is shit due to a texture, but it's still absurd that stuff like that ended up being in the game.

And no, I didn't see a youtube video pointing this out, a friend of mine told me to pay attention to the water in that area. I'm not gay enough to watch youtube videos about videogames.

I never said DS1 is complete shit in comparison. I said DS1 was complete shit in comparison before the remaster came out and fixed the horrible controls on PC with mouse and keyboard. Yes, I tried all the mods and user fixes.

I just like 2's better and in 2 you can actually get some non-autistic PVP in.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, this was the most painful downgrade, simply because it was actually playable even if only on PC. And it was damn beautiful.

If it was actually a downgrade and not a separate build running on the Bloodborne engine for marketing purposes.

531F23B63E57360016

531F23BE3E6DA90012

The build was real. A slightly downgraded excerpt existed as a public beta for the playstation 3, with a framerate so ghastly that it was obvious they were going to downgrade this shit further for the sake of the console audience.

Here's a video :

See how much more contrast and finesse there is in the lighting in the executioner chariot fight?

Borders on unplayable. But if it could do 15 - 20 fps on ps3 it could naturally do 60 fps on a computer. We just got shafted.

Latelistener

Arcane
That's unfortunate because originally they also said that PC was their main focus. I guess this is the reason why it worked so bad on consoles.

Considering that the series became a meme only after coming to PC and sold better on Steam than on two consoles combined I can see why this could happen.

But they still had to release it on consoles no matter where their focus was and developing and playtesting two different versions is too expensive.

A couple of years and DS2 could have ditched PS3 / X360 and come in its original glory on PC, while PS4 / X1 could have handled it in 30fps and lower settings, because Bloodborne looked almost exactly like DS2 was suppose to.

All in all, a real shame.

kreight

Can someone explain to me how people can spend hundreds if not thousands of hours in this game? Learning every mob spawn location and attack patterns? It's a fucking dead and static world. Once you finish it, it becomes boring asf. Dont tell me about pvp, its a fucking unbalanced gankfest.

fork

The game is deep as fuck, there are dozens of different builds and even more challenge runs to try out. Learning all mob locations and attack patterns comes naturally. If you don't enjoy the combat, well, fuck off and play something else.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Can someone explain to me how people can spend hundreds if not thousands of hours in this game? Learning every mob spawn location and attack patterns? It's a fucking dead and static world. Once you finish it, it becomes boring asf. Dont tell me about pvp, its a fucking unbalanced gankfest.

I've spent 90 hours in ds1 and 3. You should try coop, man.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great atmosphere and challenges for the first couple of runs, then a big potential for challenge runs after that.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used to be a quite active member of the Steam forums, before Namco put in a mod that turned out to be a complete dumbfuck, then when it turned out he was a piece of shit, they replaced him with one that was even worse. And now their forums are dead. Erm... but that's besides the point.

The more positive: I met and talked to Wulf, the guy that fixed the matchmaking, and a lot of cool people that really love the game.
Here are the stats to one such, that is on my friends' list.

My friend.jpg

He's... average. I have others with more, others with less. I have only 1200h.

They call me "kid" :lol:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He does. He just doesn't play anything else. He played the game when life hit him hard and was dealing with depression, and he hasn't switched since, even though he got past the depression part.

I think he knows every single pixel of that game, including glitches.

Also 0 shame in admitting: he destroys me in PvP without even blinking.

He just loves the game.

Silverfish

Arbiter

It's just got tremendous replay value. Pvp, co-op, different builds, dumb challenge runs, that kind of thing. Maybe even more importantly though, is that DS has almost zero downtime. You don't need to break off for long infodumps, boring inventory management (looking at you, Nioh), and cutscenes are few and far between. It's the rare game where you're nearly always "in the moment" rather than putting up with one distraction or another. That can be extremely addicting, assuming you like the cut of From's jib to begin with.

Black Angel

Arcane
When a game is just THAT good, provided you don't have shit taste that is, then it doesn't really matter if the game doesn't have much 'replay value' outside of a well-made-and-put-together gameplay loop, you'll just come back to it before you know it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
PvP can't be as bad as you say if so many people engage in it.

As for summons, nobody is forcing you to do it. Personally, i had ton of fun playing as a sun bro helping people, but always did the bosses solo for myself.

Silva

Arcane
Can someone explain to me how people can spend hundreds if not thousands of hours in this game? Learning every mob spawn location and attack patterns? It's a fucking dead and static world. Once you finish it, it becomes boring asf.

Kreight: "210 hours in Pizza Hut Revolution".

wFqbV2d.gif

I didn't like DS II when I tried the original version and I stopped playing it about a third of a way in. But since SOTFS came out I've been loving it. I spent more hours in it than in DS at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom