Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the chances EA revives Dead Space?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space? I'd say they're pretty high seeing all what is happening with Lucas games. EA Motive isn't working on Star wars game so they could be doing new Dead space 4.

Last edited:

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Forget it, it is dead - fuck EA... we can just bask in the memories. However the Callisto Protocol is an upcoming similar third-person survival horror game by the guy who had previously co-created the Dead Space series, Glen Schofield.
The short trailer on Youtube shows some promise and defenitely some Deadspace like tendencies - one can only hope...

A horse of course

What are the chances EA revives Dead Space? I'd say they're pretty high seeing all waht happening with Lucas games. EA Motive isn't working on Star wars game so they could be doing new Dead space 4.

They canned it because at its height it wasn't making enough money for them. They're not going to exhume it now. Unless they made the protagonist an ugly woman or something.

JDR13

Arcane
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space? I'd say they're pretty high seeing all what is happening with Lucas games. EA Motive isn't working on Star wars game so they could be doing new Dead space 4.

Slim to none I'm afraid.

It's a shame. Dead Space 1 & 2 are two of my favorite games. Dead Space 3 was mostly shit though and didn't meet their expectations sales-wise.

JDR13

Arcane
However the Callisto Protocol is an upcoming similar third-person survival horror game by the guy who had previously co-created the Dead Space series, Glen Schofield.
The short trailer on Youtube shows some promise and defenitely some Deadspace like tendencies - one can only hope...

I just discovered that a few days ago. Looks like it has potential. I hope they release more info soon.

DraQ

Arcane
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space? I'd say they're pretty high seeing all waht happening with Lucas games. EA Motive isn't working on Star wars game so they could be doing new Dead space 4.

They canned it because at its height it wasn't making enough money for them. They're not going to exhume it now. Unless they made the protagonist an ugly woman or something.
Would that make money for them?
:philosoraptor:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I can't wait for AAA to crash and burn under its own weight so that games like dead space 1/2 become viable projects.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What are the chances EA revives Dead Space?

After Fallen Order came out some EA exec said they were going to do more singleplayer games, but not sure Dead Space has the cultural cache to get high on that list. I hope so, the first two were great games and I'm not even a survival horror kind of guy really.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And they are not even survival horror kind of games really. There ain't much survival or horror. But they're pretty fun for console shooters.

I guess that depends on your genre definition (which is an increasingly pointless thing to do anyway). I definitely associate limited resources, invincible enemies, save stations and a general horror atmosphere with survival horror.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I played Dead Space for Halloween 2017 and Dead Space for Halloween 2019. Here's an excerpt of one of my DS2 rants from just after playing it. I do still like the game, but the first game is easily the better title. And I don't mean "Dead Space is better because it's more of a horror game". The first Dead Space is better strictly as an action game. They're not that different in gameplay terms (both are action shooters with a horror theme), and various aspects of aesthetic presentation and narrative framing in cutscenes do little to affect my opinion.

Having just finished Dead Space 2, I definitely prefer the first game, though I still liked the sequel and had a good time with it. The second game has more more fun combat and arguably more mechanical depth, but I found the level and encounter design frequently lackluster and the pacing was really off for me. There were a few moments where I could see great potential in the game's shift of focus, but overall I think the first game was just more cohesively designed. I'll go point by point:

Weapons are better than ever, with more options and better balance, plus the resource distribution seemed a little more fair. In DS1 my loadout was Plasma Cutter/Line Gun/Pulse Rifle/Contact Beam, while in this game I opted for Plasma Cutter/Javelin Launcher/Pulse Rifle/Ripper. The tweaks to the weapon upgrades were all good too. The stomp is amazing, and impaling enemies is awesome. At first I thought stomping enemies for loot was just busywork (fun busywork), but I realized that it actually makes encounters more dynamic since bodies disappear and you want to rush to stomp or try to overkill to get more resources. The new armor system is disappointing (linear upgrades to protection and inventory capacity were an interesting choice because you could skip tiers to offset their expensive cost, vs DS2's meaningless "choice" between obviously superior armor perks), but inventory management is a bit tighter, and the dynamic loot system no longer heavily incentivizes Plasma Cutter-only to the same degree. I also like many of the new enemies, particularly the Stalkers, who always made for excellent fights.

Where the game disappointed was in the level and encounter design. Most of the early game was corridor fights with a single enemy type as the roster was being introduced. This was acceptable, and the game started to mix and match enemies at a decent pace towards the midgame. By the time I revisited the Ishimura, I felt the game was finally coming into its own, and hoping for more clever encounters. Towards the final third, though, encounters started to veer downward as I found myself fighting waves of the same Enhanced Slashers and Pukers in every room, where I'd be lucky to find a single Exploder to mix things up. The enemy roster itself is fantastic, but they're so underutilized. I remember the first game never running out of steam on this front, with new combinations of enemies in environments that would test my ability to form moment-to-moment strategies and sizing up every new room I found myself in. Infectors made me scared of any room with corpses, I had to leave Pregnants a wide berth (heh), and Lurkers had me checking high walls and ceilings. DS2 has more focus on twitch reactions which is a load of fun, but gets stale when I'm fighting the same predictable enemies over and over.

I also prefer the first game's structure. It was still linear, but you often had more freedom to explore decks at your own pace with a lot of variety in the challenges and puzzles on offer. Hydroponics was a highlight for me, and I loved how the game was able to reroute you through the decks and set up new challenges in familiar areas. Puzzles generally required more critical thinking and was more integrated with combat in the first game. I was particularly disappointed by the spacewalks. Is it more fun to fly around like Iron Man in Zero-G than to jump to walls with clunky magnet boots? Absolutely, but the game doesn't do much with it. The first game had more Zero-G and vacuum areas overall, not always tied together, and they were more distinct and challenging. I have great memories of tense spacewalks with moving obstacles and ambushes from silent Necromorphs all on a strict oxygen limit. The vacuum sections in DS2 are a complete joke by comparison, and I pity the fool who spends a single node on upgrading their air capacity. There were some Zero-G segments I really liked, but the lack of meaningful puzzles and combat for many of them was a disappointment overall considering the freedom of movement.

There were still some great moments, at least. While I was immensely disappointed with the lack of payoff in the Regenerator sequence at the end (the first game had two brilliant "you're terminated, FUCKER" moments), there were times when the game did some cool things to surpass its predecessor. A highlight for me was when the game showed me how airlocks worked, and then a while later put an Exploder next to an airlock and required me to quickly shoot the button to close the emergency shutter when I instinctively blew it up on the spot. The Stalker fights were all sublime as I said before, particularly the one with all of the Cysts and shipping containers. The whole Ishimura revisit was particularly superb. The slow build of tension as I crept through familiar hallways haunted by the past until an explosive fight suddenly broke out on the bridge was probably my favorite moment with the whole game. The Church of Unitology was also fantastic, and I liked some of the action setpieces, such as getting ambushed in the space elevator or drilling through to the Government Sector. These fresh moments were when the game was at its best, and I was most impressed by the new direction. If some of the content in between had a bit more variety and better pacing, I think I might like it better than the first game. But overall, I remember my time with the first game more fondly.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I remember thinking Dead Space 2 looks amazing at the time. Not necessarily most expensive thing ever amazing, but pretty damn good.

RoSoDude

Arcane
the first two were great games and I'm not even a survival horror kind of guy really.

And they are not even survival horror kind of games really. There ain't much survival or horror. But they're pretty fun for console shooters.

Eh? I'd love to hear what you think are good examples of horror if you don't think those games are.

809r8fkhigzz.jpg

RoSoDude

Arcane
If you can't see major structural differences between Dead Space and Resident Evil that void the former as a full blown survival horror game, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, Dead Space has spooky visuals and scary noises and there's a minor layer of resource conservation, but you're largely just going through areas and shooting everything that moves. The fun of the game doesn't primarily come from making tough choices about how to spend your resources and unlocking your environment while solving progression riddles; it comes from action combat, weapon upgrades, and occasional puzzles. Dead Space is as much of a survival horror game as Resident Evil 4, which is to say "not really".

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dead Space 2 was one of the costliest video games to make.
This surprises me a lot. Where did they put all that money? It didn't feel particularly technically impressive, or sprawling in scope, or anything like that.
that game was chock full of Call of Duty-tier setpiece moments, must've been expensive to direct and implement them.
Maybe? I think chock full is an understatement compared to (what I hear about) uncharted, or what I felt like when playing the tomb raider reboot.

Admittedly I did only play dead space 2 at some point in the last 2 years, so I might be putting it in the wrong historical context.

JDR13

Arcane
If you can't see major structural differences between Dead Space and Resident Evil that void the former as a full blown survival horror game, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, Dead Space has spooky visuals and scary noises and there's a minor layer of resource conservation, but you're largely just going through areas and shooting everything that moves. The fun of the game doesn't primarily come from making tough choices about how to spend your resources and unlocking your environment while solving progression riddles; it comes from action combat, weapon upgrades, and occasional puzzles. Dead Space is as much of a survival horror game as Resident Evil 4, which is to say "not really".

You need to either read through the page again or work on your reading comprehension, because no one said that Dead Space was more of a survival horror game than Resident Evil. In fact, no one brought up Resident Evil at all. You apparently just felt like going off on a tangent.

RoSoDude

Arcane
You need to either read through the page again or work on your reading comprehension, because no one said that Dead Space was more of a survival horror game than Resident Evil. In fact, no one brought up Resident Evil at all. You apparently just felt like going off on a tangent.

You need to read my post again or work on your reading comprehension, because I never implied anyone said Dead Space was more of a survival horror game than Resident Evil. Rather, I brought it up in direct response to your query. You asked:

the first two were great games and I'm not even a survival horror kind of guy really.

Eh? I'd love to hear what you think are good examples of horror if you don't think those games are.

I listed Resident Evil as a quintessential example of survival horror as a deliberate counterpoint to Dead Space. Then indicated the elements of Resident Evil that define survival horror to explain why Dead Space ought not qualify.

You can draw the line arbitrarily, but I think it's obvious that e.g. Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game, and Dead Space is so similar to RE4 that it should obviously be considered not survival horror too. It's action horror, or action shooter with horror theming.

JDR13

Arcane

You need to read my post again or work on your reading comprehension, because I never implied anyone said Dead Space was more of a survival horror game than Resident Evil. Rather, I brought it up in direct response to your query. You asked:

I asked Multidirectional what he thought were good examples of horror. Is that an alt of yours, or do you just pretend to speak for him?

Also, I clearly said "horror" not "survival horror". Again, work on your reading comprehension.

I listed Resident Evil as a quintessential example of survival horror as a deliberate counterpoint to Dead Space. Then indicated the elements of Resident Evil that define survival horror to explain why Dead Space ought not qualify.

You can draw the line arbitrarily, but I think it's obvious that e.g. Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game, and Dead Space is so similar to RE4 that it should obviously be considered not survival horror too. It's action horror, or action shooter with horror theming.

The only thing that's obvious is that you're giving your opinion not facts. What defines survival horror is as subjective as what defines an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom