Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Machocruz

Arcane
Sekiro is FS' Otogi, or Ninja Blade, of today. Those games were nestled among their RPGs. There is no reason to believe Sekiro points to a permanent direction towards pure action, and they've made such games before. Alternating between genres and IPs is the norm and always has been. Between DeS and now they've made a VR adventure game, a Monster Hunter village management game, two Armored Cores, a Steel Battalion, a Gundam game, some other mech shooter.

Egosphere

Arcane
"team a/team b" shtick is the biggest cope.

It's propably meaningless at this point as the issue with team b in DS2 was lack of experience. That should no longer be a problem.

The issue was the director being changed half way through, and the game being reworked to be more in line with 1, apparently at the behest of Namco, giving it the most troubled dev cycle

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elden Ring Is in Polishing Phase; Game Will Be Very Similar to Dark Souls – Rumor

I'm going to assume they punted on many open world aspects of the original design because it was beyond their scope. Maybe we'll see it in a sequel.

That's incline. Level design > open world. It's why despite the jank DS2 was more fun than DS3 from a exploration point of view.

I would be interested to see what Miyazaki's take on an open world is, but I guess there is no reason to expect it would be any good.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pyromancers were basically the dark souls version of druids.
But I want to go around mantled in bear fur, doing dumb shit with mistletoe and summoning wasps and poisonous vines. :rpgcodex:

But yeah, the DS3 pyromancer set is more or less what I have in mind:

pyrofront.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Cheat mode is what they are lmao.

I had to put my lvl1 pyro run on pause because of real life aggro but i got as far as getting the Lords Vessel and i was shocked at how easy it was. Even the archer in Anor London all i did was run up to him and one shot him with a combustion.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But I want to go around mantled in bear fur, doing dumb shit with mistletoe and summoning wasps and poisonous vines. :rpgcodex:

But yeah, the DS3 pyromancer set is more or less what I have in mind:

pyrofront.jpg

No shape shifting though. Not sure how that could possibly work in a From game but it would be kinda knewl.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No shape shifting though. Not sure how that could possibly work in a From game but it would be kinda knewl.
There's a mod for DS3 that lets you attack "summoning" enemies. It's quite boring, but the concept is interesting:

Sadly, when FS decides to give us some sort of shape shifting, we usually get underwhelming stuff like the dragon form in DS3. Usually those shape changes only impact minor things (the egg parasite in DS1, the broccoli guy in Bloodborne), but I guess they could improve on it in future games.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Watched some vids about possible ER lore and 'The Fromsoftware' way of doing things would be this. You approach a small house, maybe seeking what's inside.You open the door. BAAAM! It Baba Yaga house turning into a giant monster chasing you down.
Even scarier than actual baba yaga house.

3806067ea4ad11232cfb2bf8b0b641f0.png

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Watched some vids about possible ER lore and 'The Fromsoftware' way of doing things would be this. You approach a small house, maybe seeking what's inside.You open the door. BAAAM! It Baba Yaga house turning into a giant monster chasing you down.

The most brilliant idea I've discovered from fans is Mimic imitating the campfire.
bonfire_mimic_by_vempirick_d8p7gxu-pre.jpg

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane

The most brilliant idea I've discovered from fans is Mimic imitating the campfire.

would really piss off a lot of people, unless the bonfires are close together and you don't lose 30 minutes of progress

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

would really piss off a lot of people, unless the bonfires are close together and you don't lose 30 minutes of progress

Git gud.

Egosphere

Arcane

Git gud.

there'd be nothing to get good at. Like the mimic in sen's fortress - it's a one off gotcha moment to waste time

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
there'd be nothing to get good at. Like the mimic in sen's fortress - it's a one off gotcha moment to waste time
After you know mimics exist, you'll eye every chest with suspicion. It keeps you on your toes. Traps are good, unpredictable traps that can still be spotted by the careful player are better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom