Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is immersion important for you?

is immersion important for you?

• yes, a necessary part of my experience

Votes: 58 50.9%
  • I can have a good experience without a focus on it

Votes: 22 19.3%
  • I can have a good experience without it having a significant presence

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I can have a good experience without it

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • no, I don't like immersion taking priority over other elements of a game

Votes: 13 11.4%

• Total voters

eXalted

Arcane
Let's first define what is an RPG ans the difference between simulation and immersion in one.

Momock

Augur
Immersion is overrated and a gateway drug to escapism.
Nope.
Immersion is having a stong interest (or even feeling concerned) about what's happening on the screen.
Escapism is self-inserting yourself into the MC to "live" a surrogative existence (probably because yours is shit).

The no-immershun crowd are either clinicaly diagnosable psychopaths or try hard "I'm not a pussy!" faggots. Anybody with empathy feels immersion.

Xelocix

Learned
Why would anybody continue to play a singleplayer game if you don't care about immersion? Repeating the same gameplay loops alone with no purpose is autistic as fuck. That's what multiplayer games are for.

If you'd rather just focus on fun gameplay and don't give a damn about storytelling/worldbuilding then why not play something with your friends instead?

Onionguy

Educated
Thief and Stalker games are first that come to mind when I think about the term. Haven't played anything even remotely as immersive since.

But for a proper rpg
Storyfag shit is in no way proper.
It's the refuge of the brainlet coward who is unable to break the game and its mechanics, and chooses to cope by immersing himself in the drivel written by some retard.

..But this is EXACTLY the point and difference between our type of player and your type of player......... We're selective about the kinds of drivel we accept from some retard, whereas you aren't even aware that there is a difference and don't care as long as you can shoot something in the face.

Tell me.. what is considered more important in our society, our broad history of magnificent fiction.. or instruction manuals?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm just as immersed into an RPG when I'm in the middle of a huge bugbear fight in ToEE as I am when I'm sneaking around in a dungeon in Skyrim.

If you have trouble assuming the role of your character(s) in computer RPGs, then the problem may not be with the game. Let your autism consume you.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
If you have trouble assuming the role of your character(s) in computer RPGs, then the problem may not be with the game. Let your autism consume you.

Autism is the opposite of immersion. Autistic people typically can't immerse themselves because they can't use imagination like we normies can. Autistic people play CRPGs strictly for their mechanics. They are typically the people who complain about games like Skyrim because they can't get immersed in them anyway and the mechanics aren't autistic enough for them. Autistic people prefer convoluted/complex isometric crpgs and they don't care if they don't have good graphics/ audio, voice acting, etc they don't see the lack of immersive aspects as a downside. They are the people who play shit like Kenshi for example.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Immersion is overrated and a gateway drug to escapism.
Nope.
Immersion is having a stong interest (or even feeling concerned) about what's happening on the screen.
Escapism is self-inserting yourself into the MC to "live" a surrogative existence (probably because yours is shit).

The no-immershun crowd are either clinicaly diagnosable psychopaths or try hard "I'm not a pussy!" faggots. Anybody with empathy feels immersion.

If you can get into a novel or a movie, you can get into a game in the same way. Games reach heights of immersion more rarely than movies or books, but the type of immersion you can get from games is unique, and in a way more piquant than either in books or movies, in that (with the best games and the best quests) you end up in the position you are in due to your own choices, which have shaped the story (at least to some extent), and those choices are recent in your memory (just like they'd be in real life).

Also if you can find yourself tearing up a bit reading a novel, the same thing can happen with a videogame. I'll never forget one particular quest in Dragon Age, one of the country elves quests, where you have to thread a very narrow path to get to a certain result where the quest is resolved peacefully and the antagonist sees the error of their ways and feels remorse. You get the same poignant music and voice-acting as you'd get in a movie, and it's a decent enough puppet show if you suspend disbelief, but in the game it's you who has changed that persons mind by persuasion and delicate argument, and stopped generations of bloodshed, not just "you" in the sense of identifying with a character, but you in the sense of being the one who's lived through time and made those decisions, fought through hordes of enemies to get there, etc.

Those sorts of "peak moments" in videogames don't happen that often, where the developer's art all comes together to a point, but they're worth their weight in gold when they do happen, because it's literally a new and different kind of art form.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
8LZwHya.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Autism is the opposite of immersion. Autistic people typically can't immerse themselves because they can't use imagination like we normies can. Autistic people play CRPGs strictly for their mechanics. They are typically the people who complain about games like Skyrim because they can't get immersed in them anyway and the mechanics aren't autistic enough for them. Autistic people prefer convoluted/complex isometric crpgs and they don't care if they don't have good graphics/ audio, voice acting, etc they don't see the lack of immersive aspects as a downside. They are the people who play shit like Kenshi for example.

lol, I wouldn't draw the contrast quite so harshly, because I think you have to be at least a bit on the spectrum to enjoy videogames at all - but yes, there's more and less macho among nerds, more and less emotional, and more and less autistic.

More macho nerds play PvP; more emotional nerds are storyfags, and the pure number crunchers are more autistic.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Indeed mein Freund. I must be immersed in shit constantly to have a good experience. It is quite mandatory. So much indeed, that one could say that without this immersion in fecal matter, experience would not be possible at all. Perhaps experience, immersion and shit are the same concept after all

flushfire

Augur
Yes I guess, if some semblance of reality and internal consistency are part of this 'immersion'. It's the reason I find it hard to get into jrpgs.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, if you've ever made more than one character in D&D then you CHEATED!

Also, if he or she died in the game, why aren't you dead IRL?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom