Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

exe

Augur
But that's a good thing, no? Landbased combat in 1404 was the worst part of the whole game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But that's a good thing, no? Landbased combat in 1404 was the worst part of the whole game.

I miss it. In the beta at least all your buildings just went up in smoke as soon as you lost a port, no invasion needed. Alt-F4 right there.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I was a rabid fan of Anno. I adored 1440, I spent countless 24+ hour sessions with 2070, I got all non-bugged achievements in 2205 (and you know what that fucking shit takes if you know anything about 2205).

I played exactly TWO games of 1800 - one five hour campaign and one sandbox run. Spent maybe 30 hours in the game. It was...fine. But I had ZERO urge to go back. Zero, zilch, nada. Something about this feels so routine, so beige, so soul-crushingly acceptable.

Let me put it this way - the difference between 1440/2070 and 1800 is like the difference between sex with your hot GF a month into the relationship and sex with your wife 20 years into the marriage.

Every Anno game is the same thing in a different time period and better graphics. You played one, you played all, basically. It is natural that if you got tired with the formula playing 1404 or 2070, there is nothing for you in 1800 except improved graphics. The other minor details that change aren't enough to make playing the newer games worthwhile.

Personally, i didn't even notice there was a 1800 Anno game. If it had been cracked i might have tried it, though like the previous iterations i would probably try it for 5 minutes, realise it is the same shit, and uninstall it from my disk anyway. I think making it hard to crack hurt its sales though, it definitely lowered visibility/mouth to mouth marketing of it. Shooting themselves in the foot there, now the game is mostly useful as an Epic Store incentive (lol) to give away for free. Nice job Ubisoft. Piracy never really hurts sales, it actually enhances them, but morons gonna moron.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every Anno game is the same thing in a different time period and better graphics. You played one, you played all, basically. It is natural that if you got tired with the formula playing 1404 or 2070, there is nothing for you in 1800 except improved graphics.
Very true.

And I don't even blame the devs - they have kind of perfected the formula, and people do buy it.
You really have to love that formula to stick to playing it through all the iterations, though.
I haven't played an Anno in ages - and this one might just be the one that I'll end up playing at some point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Every Anno game is the same thing in a different time period and better graphics. You played one, you played all, basically. It is natural that if you got tired with the formula playing 1404 or 2070, there is nothing for you in 1800 except improved graphics.
Very true.

No it's definitively not true, not even close. 2070 was quite different from 1404 and 2205 was VERY different from both, that's why it caught such a flak from the traditionalists.

The problem with 1800 is BlueByte got spooked by the negative reaction to 2205 and went back to roots, so much so the 1800 plays like the "best of" all the previous Anno games. There are hardly any new ideas and those few that are there aren't very good or substantial. That's why it's so drab. Newcomers are over the moon because it looks gorgeous and it has all the best features of the previous games. But long-term fans like me just get the feeling "been there, done that 1000 times over".

Gerrard

Arcane
My biggest annoyance with the community are the fucking autists who don't want the game having curved roads/dropping the grid because then they won't be able to make autistic plans in a spreadsheet.
Fucking Simcity had diagonal roads in the second game, this series has been on for 10 20 years.

Personally, i didn't even notice there was a 1800 Anno game. If it had been cracked i might have tried it, though like the previous iterations i would probably try it for 5 minutes, realise it is the same shit, and uninstall it from my disk anyway. I think making it hard to crack hurt its sales though, it definitely lowered visibility/mouth to mouth marketing of it. Shooting themselves in the foot there, now the game is mostly useful as an Epic Store incentive (lol) to give away for free. Nice job Ubisoft. Piracy never really hurts sales, it actually enhances them, but morons gonna moron.
Except this is not only the best selling game in the series but easily one of the better selling games in this genre, so yeah. There goes your theory.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
No it's definitively not true, not even close. 2070 was quite different from 1404 and 2205 was VERY different from both, that's why it caught such a flak from the traditionalists.

LOL, 2070 was literally a 1404 reskin dude, what the FUCK are you talking about? The differences were MINISCULE and unimportant, the game pretty much played the same way. Whatever differences were in the gameplay were unimportant and didn't change the formula much if at all. People cried and complained that Civilization Beyond Earth was a reskin of V, and was vastly more different than 2070 to 1404. Hell, even Tropico 5 and 6 are more different to 4 than this shit.

Except this is not only the best selling game in the series but easily one of the better selling games in this genre, so yeah.

What do you mean "best selling game"? Any data? I find it hard to believe, unless you count the free give aways for a 1 year old game as "sales".

Gerrard

Arcane
Except this is not only the best selling game in the series but easily one of the better selling games in this genre, so yeah.

What do you mean "best selling game"? Any data? I find it hard to believe, unless you count the free give aways for a 1 year old game as "sales".
https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/succ...t-selling-entry-in-the-21-year-old-franchise/
As you saw, we recently announced that it is the fastest selling game in the Anno franchise, having more than four times more players than the previous Day One record set by Anno 2205.
Steamspy shows it's in the 500K-1M bracket, and you can't buy the game on Steam, so those are only preorders.
https://anno-union.com/union-update-one-million/

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
My biggest annoyance with the community are the fucking autists who don't want the game having curved roads/dropping the grid because then they won't be able to make autistic plans in a spreadsheet.
Fucking Simcity had diagonal roads in the second game, this series has been on for 10 20 years.
Children of the Nile vs. Pharaoh...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Different in some details, sure. You even have that in 1800. That's why only "traditionalists" had a gripe with the other games.
You want "quite different", you can take a look at C&C 4. The core gameplay in the Anno games has never changed a single cm.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If it had been cracked i might have tried it, though like the previous iterations i would probably try it for 5 minutes, realise it is the same shit, and uninstall it from my disk anyway. I think making it hard to crack hurt its sales though, it definitely lowered visibility/mouth to mouth marketing of it.

unknown.png

just gonna leave this in here

Also anyone tried playing with the "Spice it Up" mod? Having some graphic issues with the same.
Edit: Ok, came back here to inform i managed a work around the issue. Move the graphics and/or modgraphics folder to the main game (Anno1800/Data) folder and the issue will be fixed.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Except this is not only the best selling game in the series but easily one of the better selling games in this genre, so yeah. There goes your theory.
If you want to advocate for building a double-wide road and having a diagonal piece of artwork, fine, but the grid is an absolutely essential piece of the game design that massively improves the user interface over what you see in free-form placement games. I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If you want to advocate for building a double-wide road and having a diagonal piece of artwork, fine, but the grid is an absolutely essential piece of the game design that massively improves the user interface over what you see in free-form placement games. I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.
That said I wish they could figure out how to allow for more natural looking cities. Maybe if buildings didn't have areas of effect and you had to build just one (or certain number) per island. Or some such.

They started to go this direction in 2205 but autists from the other camp threw a tantrum so they went back to the roots. Fucking gaymers man.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I used to enjoy Anno, but it is kinda the same over every game, and having discovered factorio I am not sure what purpose the anno franchise serves for me any more.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.
And nothing of value would be lost.
I can tell you're actually autistic, because you can't even figure out that a game can have guides and rulers that would let you line up things perfectly. And literally nobody except other autists cares if you get 8% more efficiency with your perfectly square and ugly as shit layout.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
heard this was cracked so I came to check the thread and

wtf is going on city builders have had curved streets + a grid for ten thousand years already
Except Anno isn't and never has been a city builder. It's a unique economy/trading RTS first and foremost. Or do you know many city builders where you have to build navies and armies and conquer rival empires?

J1M

Arcane
I would never buy another Anno again if placing a building meant going on a pixel hunt to line it up every time.
And nothing of value would be lost.
I can tell you're actually autistic, because you can't even figure out that a game can have guides and rulers that would let you line up things perfectly. And literally nobody except other autists cares if you get 8% more efficiency with your perfectly square and ugly as shit layout.
The grid are those guides and rulers.

As mentioned in the post you quoted, my concern is about having a pleasant user interface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom