Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG(s) do you really like but are too ashamed to admit on the Codex?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know. Skyrim just seems so... boring?

It is. It really is. That's why I don't have 200+ hours on it, nor do I argue for or against it.

It's just the sort of game that you might want to pop up every once in a while for a brief moment. That's what Bethesda does.

purupuru

Learned
Skyrim just seems so... boring
It is.
Which is exactly why it's a both challenging and rewarding experience to experiment and see if a list of 200 mods will make it any less boring, and if not, try with 50 different mods or open up Creation Kit to do it yourself. And you don't need to worry if your customization is messing with some delicate innate game design and will ruin the authentic experience because the authentic experience sucks and there is not much thought put in many of the design decisions anyway.

Lautreamont

Augur
Soulbringer
MM9
NWN
Summoner

Early 2000s mediocrity that I'm ashamed to list. Objectively these are bad games, yet they gave me joy.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Oblivion was alright with my brain totally on autopilot. And the Thieves Guild questline was genuinely good.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Soulbringer
MM9
NWN
Summoner

Early 2000s mediocrity that I'm ashamed to list. Objectively these are bad games, yet they gave me joy.

NwN is a cult game despite what you may think, people are still modding and playing after 20 years, I'd say Morrowind and NwN have consistently had very active communities. This does not happen with mediocre games.

To the rest of your list, they might have been mediocre back in the day because the competition was wild (although I remember Summoner or Summoner 2 ranked high in top charts), but in light of today's games they are fucking elite.

pidstuff

Educated
Japanese RPGs with full on fan service, romance routes and harems.
iu

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

NWN OC?

Because HotU and SoU are generally liked here. And Swordflight -- its greatest user-made campaign -- hasn't received any concrete criticism from the Codex, not even from hardliners.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
That SNES mock-up in OP's post reminds of Drakkhen for the SNES in the days when I was so hard up for new RPGs that I actually bought it and played it and found it acceptable. That's my contribution to this topic.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

NWN OC?

Because HotU and SoU are generally liked here. And Swordflight -- its greatest user-made campaign -- hasn't received any concrete criticism from the Codex, not even from hardliners.

I dunno. I remember some curmudgeon in the NWN topic a couple of years ago that seemed to have a really big hair up his ass about Swordflight though it could have been he had a hair up his ass about you and was using Swordflght as an excuse to trash you. So, yeah. Maybe no actual concrete criticism from the 'dex.

mogwaimon

Magister
I'm throwing my hat into the Neverwinter Nights ring. When I was a kid I was mostly a console gamer and when I finally got a PC of my own there were three games in particular that I begged my mom for that she actually ended up getting me at various points: Total Annihilation, Unreal Tournament 1999, and NWN. Of course I had other PC games, my stepdad had Duke and a couple of the unofficial expansions and I was able to get the shareware DOOM wads and the Fallout 1 demo, but NWN in particular sold me because I was hyped up hearing about the DM mode and the custom campaigns and all that. It was really the only traditional CRPG I actually owned as a kid and I enjoyed it buuuuut when I came to the Codex a lot of people seem to like to shit on it and I didn't want to out myself.

....Oh and Dink Smallwood. That's probably another one I'd be somewhat hesitant to bring up here because it was basically Zelda but on PC and with adolescent humor. I remember it as kinda fun and it had a lot of custom stuff too which was neat.

...does ZZT/Megazeux count as a CRPG?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm throwing my hat into the Neverwinter Nights ring.

It all comes down to the original campaign. It gave a bad impression for people coming off Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Arcanum.

An original campaign is the flagship even if DMing, persistent world potential and modding / toolset is the main selling point: multi-player / modding revolution.

If you get flagship wrong, you've shot yourself in the foot as it pertains to enduring legacy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Actually I liked SoU a lot but it's generally poopooed on codex.

I haven't seen anything valid / concrete. Most criticism centers on OC and lack of FPC.

SoU would be difficult to shit on in 2021.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Maybe no actual concrete criticism from the 'dex.

I haven't seen any concrete criticism anywhere that isn't based on lack of FPC (which is not a Swordflight issue, but an Aurora engine one).

v1rus

Arcane
Hm. I like Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, but was never ashamed to admit it. Yes, its faulty as all fucking hell, and has sooo many problems, but theres tons of charm in it, and a huge amount of great ideas (which mostly didnt work out). Its also perfect (but way too long) intro to the masterpiece thats MotB. Never gave SoZ a try, and somehow, dont really care bout it. While on the same topic, I also remember really liking Underdark for first NWN. Hated undertide tho, never made it past the beginning, and OC was super meh.

Havent played Numanuma yet, but somethings telling me I'm gonna like it, in a similar "yes its really flawed, but..." way.

I also loved Jade Empire, but I think most of Codex likes the game in "campy rpg-lite fun" category.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

KotOR II - TSL is one of my most favorite games I've ever played. Especially with the restored content mod.

Au Ellai

Educated
Not only is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter one of my favorite rpgs, but I firmly believe it is one of the best and most beautifully designed games of all time, with nearly every aspect of its design being near-perfection.

KK1001

Arbiter
Mass Effect 3. I remember getting 2 and being sorely fucking disappointed, but I played 3 with no expectations, had a fun time, and wasn't really pissed off at the ending.

mogwaimon

Magister
I also loved Jade Empire, but I think most of Codex likes the game in "campy rpg-lite fun" category.

Jade Empire was good fun, The Black Whirlwind is still one of my favorite Biowarian party members :) I haven't played the game in like a decade though, maybe it's time to give it the old nostalgia play and see how it holds up

v1rus

Arcane

Jade Empire was good fun, The Black Whirlwind is still one of my favorite Biowarian party members :) I haven't played the game in like a decade though, maybe it's time to give it the old nostalgia play and see how it holds up

If you are in mood for some silly fun, it holds darn great - I played it the first time only a year or two ago. My fav companion would prolly be the possessed girl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom