Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
A roguelike is not inherently an rpg because it resets your build after every run. Nethack has absolutely rpg mechanics and meaningfull progression inside of the runs. It is not an rpg, because Roguelikes are not RPGs. They are roguelikes.
A propos, Hades is not a roguelike, and as I see, not an RPG.
https://hades.gamepedia.com/Gameplay_mechanics#Abilities
What the fuck. Shame on anyone who considers arcade with number or two the "RPG". What next is an RPG? Strife?
Also felipepepe added shitton of weaboo shit and random games (collecting card game? Really), but could not be bothered to add bona fide Ultima clone Nox Archaist until Infinitron said so. And still not added a Note of the Outskirts.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
A propos, Hades is not a roguelike

How so? A roguelike is a game where you explore a randomly generated dungeon. Your progress resets on death, and you can use a different build every time.
Roguelite is the same but only 99% of the progress resets and there is small progress between runs.

Hades definitly fits into this definition.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/hades/Boons_List
qvp4uoz5lnm41.png

You fight with gifts from the gods which reset on every run and heavily modify your gameplaystyle.

Or do you go with a retro definition that a roguelite has to be turn based?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
How so? A roguelike is a game where you explore a randomly generated dungeon. Your progress resets on death, and you can use a different build every time.
That's not that roguelike is.
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

roguelite
So, you know that Hades and its ilk is not a roguelike.
retro definition
Are you retarded, fucking decline enabler? Roguelike is always turn-based. Invent (or use "roguelite") your own term for your turds.
You are a shame to your :obviously: forum name.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's not that roguelike is.
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

roguelite
So, you know that Hades and its ilk is not a roguelike.
retro definition
Are you retarded, fucking decline enabler? Roguelike is always turn-based. Invent (or use "roguelite") your own term for your turds.

I don't feel invested enough into the genre to argue with this, Hades is a roguelite anyway because it has progression that stays between runs. That alone makes it 100% roguelite.
But sure, action combat automatically makes it a roguelite is fine by me. I do not particularily like the edge cases like Spelunky anyway which use action combat and hard roguelike mechanics.

Why did they negrify the ancient Greek culture?

Three times may you guess.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
ATOM RPG Trudograd? Or Stoneshard?

Rightfully so cause there are ot fiished yet.

Why did they negrify the ancient Greek culture?

Yeah that's absolutely disgustig.
I thought to play it at some poit i the future, but after I saw this - o way.

Roguelike is always turn-based. Invent (or use "roguelite") your own term for your turds.

ot alwys - there is classic Trascedece space roguelike, that is real-time, but stays absolutely true to rogue-like mechaics ad spirit.
But that's the oly exceptio I kow of.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Not a single title in the list rings any bells (except for Wasteland, I guess). Nor invokes any impulse to change that, from their weeaboo or retarded titles alone. How about we agree that Wasteland 3 wins by the virtue of being the only RPG that bothered to show up, and move along?
You should try Note of the Outskirts. It's pretty good Wizardry clone. Wizardry 1, of course, but beggars could be not choosers. In 2020 it's choice between that, Ultima 3 clone, or another Wizardry 1 clone (Labyrinth of Lost Souls) where scantily-clad anime girls whimper in high-pitched voices.
It's a dark age again, and we don't have Vogel, Proudfoot or that author of Aethra Chronicles (Lawrence?) now.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I got more of a Dragon Wars vibe from what little I've played.
System-wise, indeed, it's similar to Dragon Wars, with its combat or array of skills, but when you try to identify something and your identifier trembles in fear - you always know that it's something Wizardry inspired. Still it has a big map with a lot of exploration, closer to Dragon Wars or early M&Ms, instead of small, but great dungeon of the previous game (To Hell with Guns). Should play some more...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom