Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorta reminds me of a more traditional roguelike noita
How is Noita a traditional roguelike?
It's not even much of an RPG and more of an action game :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great game (just not for me personally due to lack of lives/continues system and nothing carrying over from run to run).

680x0

Learned
Just finished the download.

The original 2 Super Famicom Mystery Dungeon games were IMO the pinnacle of j-roguelikes so here's hoping for some rare weeb incline.

680x0

Learned
Having some problems with the button prompts showing correctly, which is pretty common for Japanese PC ports. I could probably fix it if I fuck around with controller profiles on Steam, but I at least have the buttons in the right position now, if not labelled in game correctly. Most pads don't allow diagonal control using the d-pad so I am using a Hori Fighting Commander with the d-pad slider set to "left stick" so I don't have to use a gross analog stick.

Latro

Arcane
Dawn of Mexica quick n dirty unlock: it's actually pretty ez

hunter -> aim and shoot stuff with ranged on warrior
earth shaman -> eat shrooms, you can find these around the village randomly
rogue -> just hide successfully (extinguish your torch)
healer -> bandage an ally
otomi -> successfully berserk as warrior

you can get these in the first 5 seconds of gameplay. all the mechanics so far are really cool, i'm already a big fan of the lighting system; using tracking in the dark is an interesting style of play. you'll need to turn off torch periodically if you plan to hide. of course, animals can still smell you :D

Each class gets access to their own set of skills (I'm assuming one of them is an uber class that has access to everything in tome4 fashion), so the style of play is fairly different. Mechanics: Temperature can have you freezing to death or heat can have you suffering from exhaustion; apparently the winds can be so strong your character may need to carry heavy things to not be pushed around; and i've already mentioned the lighting system.

The damage system also seems really cool, you can hit people in the elbows, ribs, face (I smashed a villager's face in with a rock) and your character can get stuffed in like manner by enemies. It's not like VATS or anything, but getting crushed in the ribs affects your lungs and other things.

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
Mexica very much radiates what I suppose could well be the first commercial-quality level attempt at an evocative/exotic niche backdrop Roguelike in the spirit of IVAN---updates seem to be rolling in at a good pace on feedback, future looks stellar.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the Shiren port like? The reviews mention some problems.

Mixed controller prompts in the PS pad -> Fixed by deactivating the Steam controller configuration
Screen tearing on full-screen mode -> Fixed by playing in a window

The game is great.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm having no issues playing Shiren on PC using the keyboard setup which is,

S - backpack/ground
A - time related (like fast move or sit and "camp")
Z - attack
W - use set item
X - facing
C - scout

The game is as charming as I remember it on the DS. Also, it's one of those games that seems easy at first and then just trashes the hell out of you. There's a lot of item dependency, especially finding unique items to stave off enemies stealing your shit, melting your shit, and generally fatiguing your character until you're a weak pile of pathetic that can't hit anything with your katana-turned-pool noodle.

680x0

Learned
*post above should say pinnacle of Mystery Dungeon games, not J-rogues, obviously something like Elona would be top of the heap*

Shiren is pretty good you boys.

At first I was put off by all the feature bloat and all the new mechanics. There is real challenge here and it isn't all optional and back-loaded like most modern JRPGs. 2nd best soundtrack of the series behind Torneko on the PSX. Graphics are crisp and tight, no random crashes for me @ 8 hrs of play. This looks like a winner so far, will report back after 1st loop.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dawn of Mexica quick n dirty unlock: it's actually pretty ez

hunter -> aim and shoot stuff with ranged on warrior
earth shaman -> eat shrooms, you can find these around the village randomly
rogue -> just hide successfully (extinguish your torch)
healer -> bandage an ally
otomi -> successfully berserk as warrior

you can get these in the first 5 seconds of gameplay.

Makes you wonder why the dev even bothered with unlockable classes? Well, better for me this way. I don't really enjoy class unlocks in my roguelikes, so this being trivially easy is a good thing.

oscar

Arcane
Those are the easy ones but there's still another six that no one has yet figured out how to unlock.

Random thoughts

- If you play a mage you absolutely must use the meditate ability once or twice before casting at early levels or your spells will fail or even backfire and end up attacking you. Casting range is short but you usually have much better quickness than your foes so can sneak some mediate (t) in. Spells fail a lot less and seem to be more powerful (I'm frequently doing 1500+ damage on crits). Earth magic seems superior to fire or lightning from what little I've tried (EDIT: tried the firefly having a better idea how to play magic now, you get some great long range spells pretty quickly even if the start is rough)
- For melee the berserker class is great. Put a few points in berserk as the starting fighter guy and go berserk to unlock it. Only downside is you get hungry and thirsty faster and can't use your inventory but there's plenty of food to go around (and you can find clean water again when you reach the caves) and it gives great buffs
- Since everything is fucking dark I can't see how one can really play a archer, two-hander or shield build since you need a damn torch in your offhand 24/7. Eating night shards seems to help but even so it seems hella slow and fiddly to have to use your torch to see then equip your bow and fire, requip your torch etc etc
- No clue what the difference between melee weapons is. So much is lumped under one-hand blade it's hard to say. I have a suspicion that slashing and blunt are better against certain enemies. I switched from sword to axe without much noticeable difference (axe seemed to crit less but was more durable).

Highlight: Magic duel between my earth shaman and a Spanish priest (Christ proved stronger than the nature spirits)

1A6EBD93CFE62A59782BF1469706D2D4DFA2A832

Last edited:

680x0

Learned
Shiren really wants you to do the meta-progression stuff which is kinda against the spirit of roguelikes. It seems to be balanced with that in mind. If you forego all that it becomes pretty challenging and fun. I did use the "rescue" function once because I had a heartbreaking death caused by infinite sleep stun lock of my entire party. I feel kinda dirty...

Best Mystery Dungeon game I have played since Izuna. Still have to feel it out a bit more.

PrettyDeadman

Is everything in dawn of the mexica just a random forest labyrinth? This gets old really fast. I prefered forest levels in Tome much more.
The night mechanic really seems limiting. And as far as I know - there is no way to simply wait till the night ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Won Jupiter Hell on Ultraviolence with Scout.
Then downloaded DRL, won special level from the first try with minimal resource cost -1 med kit, got rocket launcher, marine armor, big medkit.
And then got blown up on next level full of barrels. Instantly remembered what cause IGNITION for me in this game...

oscar

Arcane
Is everything in dawn of the mexica just a random forest labyrinth? This gets old really fast. I prefered forest levels in Tome much more.
The night mechanic really seems limiting. And as far as I know - there is no way to simply wait till the night ends.

There's a multi-level underground cultist city in the forest (the white ruins in the forest) or if you keep heading north as the village shaman instructed (for about two maps) you'll enter the caves to (I presume, haven't gotten that deep) Mictlan.

Quoting from my steam discussion post, knockouts are my biggest issue with the game

I understand risk and outlandish results are part of the fun of the roguelike genre (both in your favour and against it). But there seems a chance of virtually any enemy to knock you out meaning.. sooner or later you -will- get knocked out. What is a 99% certain death sentence for any kind of character (I think I came back from it maybe once).

I've gotten fairly deep into this game (level 5/6/) on quite a few occasions and all my deaths have been to random knockouts (even at completely full health and stamina). This is not against deadly bosses or putting myself in bad situations (i.e how you typically die in a rougelike) but feels like pure bad luck that will eventually occur no matter what. There seems absolutely nothing I can do to prepare against them as the weakest enemy can inflict it and you are simply stun-locked into crit death.

I often die to regular combat in the first two levels but past level 3 combat is a breeze until the inevitable knock out coma death. I don't want to make combat 'easier' necessarily but something feels a bit off about this.

The dev seems pretty responsive so hopefully some annoyances like this will be tinkered with.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
OK, ignition or not, I still continue to play DooMRL, the only thing I coudn't understand is - for example, you can assemble tactical shotgun from combat.
Can you then assemble tactical shotgun to plasmatic shrapnel?
Or assemble like that - green armor-->tactical-->nanofiber armor?

Won yesterday Chained Court with like 2 small medkit spending, maybe 3, died next floor due bad tactic/overconfidence.

Aemar

Arcane
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.26 has been released two days ago.

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/releases/tag/0.26.0

Highlights
  • New species: Palentonga.
  • New background: Delver.
  • Food and hunger are removed.
  • Swamp has many new monsters and other changes.
  • Spells, wands, and abilities can be quivered, fired, and autotargeted with an
    extension of the ranged quiver/autofight interface.
Monsters
  • New Swamp monsters:
    • Will-o-the-wisps, unearthly gases that launches powerful Foxfires.
    • Goliath frogs, licking foes from afar with their acidic tongues.
    • Eleionomae, swamp nymphs that travel through and heal from trees.
    • Bloated husks, filled to explosively bursting with putrescent gas.
    • Bunyips, fast-moving, hard-hitting, screaming mysteries.
    • Fenstrider witches, terrifying hex-hurling toxic sorceresses.
  • Bog bodies cast much more powerfully and have a stronger cold attack.
  • New (?) monster: boulder beetle, rolling quickly to deliver huge hits.
  • Insect glyphs have been reorganized.
  • Pikel's slaves have been rethemed to lemures. They now disappear upon
    Pikel's death.
  • Spiny Frogs are renamed Cane Toads, for a more authentic Australian
    experience.
  • Pandemonium lords' possible spells and melee flavours have been expanded.
    They can now sometimes generate a ring of dangerous clouds.
  • Monsters' blood scent and web sense have been removed.
  • Crocodiles, porcupines, hippogriffs, and hungry ghosts are removed.
  • Monsters don't forget about the player while the player is off level.
  • Most plants, fungi, and other plant like things that don't attack now wither
    in 3-5 turns after they're hit. The exceptions are bushes and briars.
  • Monsters that formerly had rot-inducing melee attacks now have drain attacks.
Character
  • Hunger (and eating) are removed.
  • Drain now temporarily reduces max HP instead of skills. Rot no longer exists
    as a mechanic.
  • New species: Palentonga, six-limbed scaled mammals with a rolling charge.
  • Deep Elves' Bows aptitude is increased to +3.
  • Kobolds now have the Nightstalker 3 mutation, reducing LOS and providing
    bonus stealth. (Demonspawn can no longer gain Nightstalker.)
  • Ghouls heal on kill instead of by eating chunks. They also no longer rot
    over time.
  • Centaurs are removed.
  • The Charms skill (and the Skald background) are removed.
  • New demonspawn mutations: sharp scales & big brain.
  • Transmuters no longer start with arrows, and Wereblood replaces Sticks to
    Snakes in the starting book.
  • The Wizard background is renamed "Hedge Wizard", gaining a dagger and a
    less int-focused set of starting attributes. The Conjurer background takes
    Wizards' old attributes.
  • The Assassin background is renamed "Brigand".
  • New background: Delver, starting on D:5 with a variety of escape tools.
  • Artificers now start with better defensive skills, no weapon skill, and a
    club in place of the short sword and short blade skill.
  • Banishing monsters grants full XP.
  • Contamination decays three times faster.
  • Wanderers have a chance to start with any of the misc evokers.
  • Evocations skill no longer grants MaxMP.
Items
  • New scarf ego: Shadows. Scarves of shadows reduce line of sight by 1; this
    stacks with other LOS altering effects; as well as act as a negative spell
    enhancer.
  • New weapon ego: Spectral. The spectral ego appears on [giant [spiked]] clubs,
    quarterstaffs, lajatangs, and two-handed randarts of any base type. On hit
    the ego spawns a spectral weapon to fight along side the user whose strength
    scales with Evocations skill.
  • New boots ego: Rampaging. Boots of rampaging cause the wearer to take an
    extra step for no cost---only when moving in the direction of a foe. The
    rampaging ego can also appear on any kind of artefact armour.
  • New misc evocable: Condenser Vane. A condenser vane is an XP-charged evoker
    that creates clouds around hostile monsters (skipping allies). The cloud
    quality scales with evocations.
  • New item: potion of attraction, which pulls nearby enemies closer.
  • Unrandart Changes:
    • The Salamander Hide Armour no longer gives *Rage, it now is a fire spell
      enhancer with rF++, rC--, flame cloud immunity, and a ring of flame clouds
      effect.
    • The ratskin cloak is changed from +Rats to *Rats, spawning rats when the
      player is hit.
    • Wucad Mu no longer provides evocable channeling. Instead, with a chance
      depending on evocations, it refunds the MP cost of the spell. There is a
      chance of confusion or intelligence drain (which scales on spell cost and
      evocations skill) when a spell is refunded.
    • The cloak of the Thief is changed from +Fog to *Fog, creating fog when the
      player is hit.
    • The Majin-Bo loses Archmagi, and instead gives a chance for any cast spell
      to be vampiric, healing the caster for damage done to living creatures.
    • The shield of Resistance is now a +2 kite shield {rF++ rC++ MR++}.
    • Glaive of the Guard now has both the spectral weapon and electricity egos.
      It no longer has sInv nor +Rage.
    • Cloak of Starlight gains *Dazzle, which sometimes dazzles foes like the
      Dazzling Flash spell on successful dodge. It no longer has rElec and rC+.
    • The Sword of Power is now +5, vorpal, and sometimes fires a powerful but
      low-accuracy damage beam with a chance based on the player's current HP.
  • Phantom mirrors and boxes of beasts now recharge with XP.
  • Wands of polymorph now show what monsters might become when targeted.
  • Amulets are now slow to equip (like armour), and many amulets no longer have
    attunement logic. Faith, Regen, and MPRegen retain their swap drawbacks.
  • Bardings are merged into a single item type.
  • Staves of earth deal higher damage, but with the shrapnel effect of being
    affected 3 times by AC.
  • Staves of conjuration deal bonus irresistable damage that checks AC.
  • The full contents of item piles are revealed on sight.
  • Potions of stabbing, wands of clouds, and staves of energy, summoning, and
    wizardry are removed.
Branches, Environment
  • Swamp's levels are now smaller, and many weak monsters no longer appear.
  • Crimson and shadow imps are now much less common in the Dungeon. White imps
    and ufetubi take their place.
  • Shadows and wights no longer appear in the Crypt spawn list, replaced with
    flying skulls, necromancers, and wraiths.
  • Spider is now quiet.
  • The malevolent force of Zot will find players that tarry far too long in one
    place.
  • Gauntlet monsters now generate awake, and those other than the minotaur
    don't pick up loot.
  • Net traps are now permanent and the nets always mulch.
Spells
  • The Charms skill and school have been removed.
    • Ozocubu's Armour is now Ice only, Swiftness is now Air only, Death's Door
      is now Necromancy only and Level 9.
    • Excruciating Wounds is now Necromancy only, prevents unwielding your weapon
      for the duration, and applies a Wizardry penalty as well as noise.
    • Battlesphere is now Conjurations only, and its targeting has been adjusted
      to work with all Conjurations school spells other than Servitor.
    • Song of Slaying is now Transmutations and renamed Wereblood; the noise is
      reduced somewhat.
  • Animate Skeleton and Animate Dead creations now have strength scaling with
    spellpower; Animate Skeleton has a power cap. Both creations have a shorter
    lifespan. Additionally, these spells can't be cast if corpses are not nearby.
  • Animate Skeleton now animates the nearest skeleton, and does not require you
    to stand on the corpse.
  • Frozen Ramparts has its effect end upon player movement.
  • Death Channel spectral things have a shorter duration and fade if Death
    Channel expires.
  • Infestation scarabs have a shorter duration.
  • Vampiric Draining's damage is no longer limited by how much it heals.
  • Eringya's Toxic Bog now places bogs in all squares within a range of 4 where
    there is no adjacent solid feature.
  • Beastly Appendage now melds helmets and boots, and gives two levels of both
    Horns and Talons (octopodes keep their tentacle spike) instead of randomly
    choosing.
  • Irradiate now checks monster AC but does slightly more damage.
  • Alistair's Intoxication prompts when nothing in view can be affected, always
    applies Vertigo when successful, and has a higher power cap.
  • Conjure Ball Lightning's scaling with spellpower has been simplified.
  • Beam spells and wands no longer have their range reduced by hitting things.
  • All temporary allies dismiss when you leave the level.
  • Translocations miscasts now inflict -Move which prevents walking in addition
    to translocating.
  • Aura of Abjuration, Darkness, Infusion, Recall, Ring of Flames, Shroud of
    Golubria, Spectral Weapon, Sticks to Snakes, and Summon Butterflies are
    removed.
Gods
  • Gozag no longer gives a free potion petition on worship.
  • Nemelex's deck gifting begins at higher piety.
  • Nemelex' Shaft card is removed, and the Exile card no longer has a chance
    to self banish.
Interface
  • The "quiver" feature is generalized and can now hold spells, evokables, and
    abilities. The fire interface can be used to target any quiverable
    action, and quiverable actions can be autofired via shift+tab/p. Existing
    autofight ranged settings such as autofight_throw are generalized to handle
    new quiverables. The ] key swaps between the two most recent quivered
    actions. See the options guide for more information on new and updated
    options: autofight_throw, autofight_stop, automagic_stop,
    fail_severity_to_quiver, launcher_autoquiver, fire_order. See the manual
    section 4, subsection "Attacking and firing" for a summary of the relevant
    key bindings.
  • Launchers can now be fired independently of the quiver; use v to target
    (like reaching weapons) or regular autofight commands to autotarget.
  • Static targeters are added for spells and abilities that indicate which cells
    will be affected, along with a new option to configure which of these are
    shown while casting, force_targeter.
  • Player wand damage, spell damage, and spell accuracy is now displayed in the
    UI.
  • Viewing a monster with xv now shows to-hit chance with your current weapon.
  • Monsters' spell damage is shown in xv.
  • Examining cells with multiple interesting things now gives a selection menu.
  • The "view stack/pickup key" ; can be pressed twice to force autopickup even
    in unsafe situations.
  • The ^x view description is now available from all targeting prompts, and
    when used while targeting lists valid targets in range.
  • Any floor can be annotated from anywhere in the ! interface.
  • Spellpower is now displayed as a percentage of max spellpower.
  • Macro updates: Macros/keybinds can be viewed via the ~ menu in-game. RC file
    keybind settings support escape codes.
  • Updated uption: travel_open_doors now has a setting that tries to avoid
    opening doors during autotravel.
  • New option: travel_one_unsafe_move. Setting this option to true causes
    auto-travel to make one move towards its goal before conducting the usual
    safety checks.
  • New option: monster_item_view_features. This is a regex list option, features
    that match patterns on this list will be displayed in the ^x view
    description.
  • New option: always_show_zot. When enabled, the remaining time until Zot finds
    the player is always shown, rather than when there are only 1500 turns left.
  • New options: tile_overlay_col and tile_overlay_alpha_percent control the
    appearance of the message window in local tiles.
Lua
  • Three new hooks, chk_ability_choice, chk_spell_choice, and c_message can be
    used to answer the ability and spell menu prompts and to react to messages.
  • A new api is introduced for targeted fire of spells, items, and abilities as
    a less brittle alternative to sending keys. See lua functions:
    crawl.do_targeted_command, spells.cast, item.fire, you.activate_ability,
    you.quiver_valid, and you.quiver_enabled.
  • Other new functions: you.memorise (memorise a spell by name),
    spells.power_perc (get spellpower for a spell as a percentage)

Eisen

Learned
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.26 has been released two days ago.

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/releases/tag/0.26.0

Highlights
  • New species: Palentonga.
  • New background: Delver.
  • Food and hunger are removed.
  • Swamp has many new monsters and other changes.
  • Spells, wands, and abilities can be quivered, fired, and autotargeted with an
    extension of the ranged quiver/autofight interface.
Monsters
  • New Swamp monsters:
    • Will-o-the-wisps, unearthly gases that launches powerful Foxfires.
    • Goliath frogs, licking foes from afar with their acidic tongues.
    • Eleionomae, swamp nymphs that travel through and heal from trees.
    • Bloated husks, filled to explosively bursting with putrescent gas.
    • Bunyips, fast-moving, hard-hitting, screaming mysteries.
    • Fenstrider witches, terrifying hex-hurling toxic sorceresses.
  • Bog bodies cast much more powerfully and have a stronger cold attack.
  • New (?) monster: boulder beetle, rolling quickly to deliver huge hits.
  • Insect glyphs have been reorganized.
  • Pikel's slaves have been rethemed to lemures. They now disappear upon
    Pikel's death.
  • Spiny Frogs are renamed Cane Toads, for a more authentic Australian
    experience.
  • Pandemonium lords' possible spells and melee flavours have been expanded.
    They can now sometimes generate a ring of dangerous clouds.
  • Monsters' blood scent and web sense have been removed.
  • Crocodiles, porcupines, hippogriffs, and hungry ghosts are removed.
  • Monsters don't forget about the player while the player is off level.
  • Most plants, fungi, and other plant like things that don't attack now wither
    in 3-5 turns after they're hit. The exceptions are bushes and briars.
  • Monsters that formerly had rot-inducing melee attacks now have drain attacks.
Character
  • Hunger (and eating) are removed.
  • Drain now temporarily reduces max HP instead of skills. Rot no longer exists
    as a mechanic.
  • New species: Palentonga, six-limbed scaled mammals with a rolling charge.
  • Deep Elves' Bows aptitude is increased to +3.
  • Kobolds now have the Nightstalker 3 mutation, reducing LOS and providing
    bonus stealth. (Demonspawn can no longer gain Nightstalker.)
  • Ghouls heal on kill instead of by eating chunks. They also no longer rot
    over time.
  • Centaurs are removed.
  • The Charms skill (and the Skald background) are removed.
  • New demonspawn mutations: sharp scales & big brain.
  • Transmuters no longer start with arrows, and Wereblood replaces Sticks to
    Snakes in the starting book.
  • The Wizard background is renamed "Hedge Wizard", gaining a dagger and a
    less int-focused set of starting attributes. The Conjurer background takes
    Wizards' old attributes.
  • The Assassin background is renamed "Brigand".
  • New background: Delver, starting on D:5 with a variety of escape tools.
  • Artificers now start with better defensive skills, no weapon skill, and a
    club in place of the short sword and short blade skill.
  • Banishing monsters grants full XP.
  • Contamination decays three times faster.
  • Wanderers have a chance to start with any of the misc evokers.
  • Evocations skill no longer grants MaxMP.
Items
  • New scarf ego: Shadows. Scarves of shadows reduce line of sight by 1; this
    stacks with other LOS altering effects; as well as act as a negative spell
    enhancer.
  • New weapon ego: Spectral. The spectral ego appears on [giant [spiked]] clubs,
    quarterstaffs, lajatangs, and two-handed randarts of any base type. On hit
    the ego spawns a spectral weapon to fight along side the user whose strength
    scales with Evocations skill.
  • New boots ego: Rampaging. Boots of rampaging cause the wearer to take an
    extra step for no cost---only when moving in the direction of a foe. The
    rampaging ego can also appear on any kind of artefact armour.
  • New misc evocable: Condenser Vane. A condenser vane is an XP-charged evoker
    that creates clouds around hostile monsters (skipping allies). The cloud
    quality scales with evocations.
  • New item: potion of attraction, which pulls nearby enemies closer.
  • Unrandart Changes:
    • The Salamander Hide Armour no longer gives *Rage, it now is a fire spell
      enhancer with rF++, rC--, flame cloud immunity, and a ring of flame clouds
      effect.
    • The ratskin cloak is changed from +Rats to *Rats, spawning rats when the
      player is hit.
    • Wucad Mu no longer provides evocable channeling. Instead, with a chance
      depending on evocations, it refunds the MP cost of the spell. There is a
      chance of confusion or intelligence drain (which scales on spell cost and
      evocations skill) when a spell is refunded.
    • The cloak of the Thief is changed from +Fog to *Fog, creating fog when the
      player is hit.
    • The Majin-Bo loses Archmagi, and instead gives a chance for any cast spell
      to be vampiric, healing the caster for damage done to living creatures.
    • The shield of Resistance is now a +2 kite shield {rF++ rC++ MR++}.
    • Glaive of the Guard now has both the spectral weapon and electricity egos.
      It no longer has sInv nor +Rage.
    • Cloak of Starlight gains *Dazzle, which sometimes dazzles foes like the
      Dazzling Flash spell on successful dodge. It no longer has rElec and rC+.
    • The Sword of Power is now +5, vorpal, and sometimes fires a powerful but
      low-accuracy damage beam with a chance based on the player's current HP.
  • Phantom mirrors and boxes of beasts now recharge with XP.
  • Wands of polymorph now show what monsters might become when targeted.
  • Amulets are now slow to equip (like armour), and many amulets no longer have
    attunement logic. Faith, Regen, and MPRegen retain their swap drawbacks.
  • Bardings are merged into a single item type.
  • Staves of earth deal higher damage, but with the shrapnel effect of being
    affected 3 times by AC.
  • Staves of conjuration deal bonus irresistable damage that checks AC.
  • The full contents of item piles are revealed on sight.
  • Potions of stabbing, wands of clouds, and staves of energy, summoning, and
    wizardry are removed.
Branches, Environment
  • Swamp's levels are now smaller, and many weak monsters no longer appear.
  • Crimson and shadow imps are now much less common in the Dungeon. White imps
    and ufetubi take their place.
  • Shadows and wights no longer appear in the Crypt spawn list, replaced with
    flying skulls, necromancers, and wraiths.
  • Spider is now quiet.
  • The malevolent force of Zot will find players that tarry far too long in one
    place.
  • Gauntlet monsters now generate awake, and those other than the minotaur
    don't pick up loot.
  • Net traps are now permanent and the nets always mulch.
Spells
  • The Charms skill and school have been removed.
    • Ozocubu's Armour is now Ice only, Swiftness is now Air only, Death's Door
      is now Necromancy only and Level 9.
    • Excruciating Wounds is now Necromancy only, prevents unwielding your weapon
      for the duration, and applies a Wizardry penalty as well as noise.
    • Battlesphere is now Conjurations only, and its targeting has been adjusted
      to work with all Conjurations school spells other than Servitor.
    • Song of Slaying is now Transmutations and renamed Wereblood; the noise is
      reduced somewhat.
  • Animate Skeleton and Animate Dead creations now have strength scaling with
    spellpower; Animate Skeleton has a power cap. Both creations have a shorter
    lifespan. Additionally, these spells can't be cast if corpses are not nearby.
  • Animate Skeleton now animates the nearest skeleton, and does not require you
    to stand on the corpse.
  • Frozen Ramparts has its effect end upon player movement.
  • Death Channel spectral things have a shorter duration and fade if Death
    Channel expires.
  • Infestation scarabs have a shorter duration.
  • Vampiric Draining's damage is no longer limited by how much it heals.
  • Eringya's Toxic Bog now places bogs in all squares within a range of 4 where
    there is no adjacent solid feature.
  • Beastly Appendage now melds helmets and boots, and gives two levels of both
    Horns and Talons (octopodes keep their tentacle spike) instead of randomly
    choosing.
  • Irradiate now checks monster AC but does slightly more damage.
  • Alistair's Intoxication prompts when nothing in view can be affected, always
    applies Vertigo when successful, and has a higher power cap.
  • Conjure Ball Lightning's scaling with spellpower has been simplified.
  • Beam spells and wands no longer have their range reduced by hitting things.
  • All temporary allies dismiss when you leave the level.
  • Translocations miscasts now inflict -Move which prevents walking in addition
    to translocating.
  • Aura of Abjuration, Darkness, Infusion, Recall, Ring of Flames, Shroud of
    Golubria, Spectral Weapon, Sticks to Snakes, and Summon Butterflies are
    removed.
Gods
  • Gozag no longer gives a free potion petition on worship.
  • Nemelex's deck gifting begins at higher piety.
  • Nemelex' Shaft card is removed, and the Exile card no longer has a chance
    to self banish.
Interface
  • The "quiver" feature is generalized and can now hold spells, evokables, and
    abilities. The fire interface can be used to target any quiverable
    action, and quiverable actions can be autofired via shift+tab/p. Existing
    autofight ranged settings such as autofight_throw are generalized to handle
    new quiverables. The ] key swaps between the two most recent quivered
    actions. See the options guide for more information on new and updated
    options: autofight_throw, autofight_stop, automagic_stop,
    fail_severity_to_quiver, launcher_autoquiver, fire_order. See the manual
    section 4, subsection "Attacking and firing" for a summary of the relevant
    key bindings.
  • Launchers can now be fired independently of the quiver; use v to target
    (like reaching weapons) or regular autofight commands to autotarget.
  • Static targeters are added for spells and abilities that indicate which cells
    will be affected, along with a new option to configure which of these are
    shown while casting, force_targeter.
  • Player wand damage, spell damage, and spell accuracy is now displayed in the
    UI.
  • Viewing a monster with xv now shows to-hit chance with your current weapon.
  • Monsters' spell damage is shown in xv.
  • Examining cells with multiple interesting things now gives a selection menu.
  • The "view stack/pickup key" ; can be pressed twice to force autopickup even
    in unsafe situations.
  • The ^x view description is now available from all targeting prompts, and
    when used while targeting lists valid targets in range.
  • Any floor can be annotated from anywhere in the ! interface.
  • Macro updates: Macros/keybinds can be viewed via the ~ menu in-game. RC file
    keybind settings support escape codes.
  • Updated uption: travel_open_doors now has a setting that tries to avoid
    opening doors during autotravel.
  • New option: travel_one_unsafe_move. Setting this option to true causes
    auto-travel to make one move towards its goal before conducting the usual
    safety checks.
  • New option: monster_item_view_features. This is a regex list option, features
    that match patterns on this list will be displayed in the ^x view
    description.
  • New option: always_show_zot. When enabled, the remaining time until Zot finds
    the player is always shown, rather than when there are only 1500 turns left.
  • New options: tile_overlay_col and tile_overlay_alpha_percent control the
    appearance of the message window in local tiles.
Lua
  • Three new hooks, chk_ability_choice, chk_spell_choice, and c_message can be
    used to answer the ability and spell menu prompts and to react to messages.
  • A new api is introduced for targeted fire of spells, items, and abilities as
    a less brittle alternative to sending keys. See lua functions:
    crawl.do_targeted_command, spells.cast, item.fire, you.activate_ability,
    you.quiver_valid, and you.quiver_enabled.
  • Other new functions: you.memorise (memorise a spell by name),
    spells.power_perc (get spellpower for a spell as a percentage)
Hunger removed? What?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

This one is bad. They don't understand the less numbers shown the better.
+++ is a perfect way to add approximation for such things.
Of course if I got it rigth.
It would be interesting how it plays with all these new chages.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Won Jupiter Hell on Ultraviolence with Scout.
Then downloaded DRL, won special level from the first try with minimal resource cost -1 med kit, got rocket launcher, marine armor, big medkit.
And then got blown up on next level full of barrels. Instantly remembered what cause IGNITION for me in this game...

Made any distance into Nightmare? I keep getting clipped about halfway in.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Made any distance into Nightmare?

Farthest lvl I was was today - Valhalla Command 2.
Where I met pack of explosive exalted fiends - not that I coudn't oneshot them, I just was stupid and after elimnating one, I took step to a corner, while I knew they came in packs.

Also I was lucky that run - found ADV2 helmet with +dodge and aim assits, which allowed me with Wizkid1 to take +25 crit power and +10 crit.
Oh, and 2 tech stations to afford it all lol.
Used .44 revolver with Calibrated and Precise.
So yeah, lucky.

Basically, the only reliable plan is to have such damage, enemy coudn't be rised.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Made any distance into Nightmare?

Farthest lvl I was was today - Valhalla Command 2.
Where I met pack of explosive exalted fiends - not that I coudn't oneshot them, I just was stupid and after elimnating one, I took step to a corner, while I knew they came in packs.

Also I was lucky that run - found ADV2 helmet with +dodge and aim assits, which allowed me with Wizkid1 to take +25 crit power and +10 crit.
Oh, and 2 tech stations to afford it all lol.
Used .44 revolver with Calibrated and Precise.
So yeah, lucky.

Basically, the only reliable plan is to have such damage, enemy coudn't be rised.

I keep getting to the cave where you can jump to what I think is Moon Io where the cybernetic shit starts appearing. The cave's portal is across an Indiana Jones-style rock walkway and it is blanketed by those fat demons with rockets and machine guns and usually a few dogs, too. It's hard enough on Ultraviolence, but on Nightmare it's not only harder to chew through all that shit, you have to do it quickly otherwise everything you've killed starts coming back -- and all the demons on that stage are extremely nasty on respawns.

I think it's most doable with scout or the tech as they can stealth/smoke their way across. Marine just seems completely fucked.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I just won Marine with shotgun - Army of Darkness.
On UV of course, cause NM is completley unplayable as I think after additional tests.
Was lucky to find Pancor Jackhammer lol. I gibbet any mob I think. Could eliminate CRI bot with 1 crit burst I think.

Previous run with Scout with Gunrunner failed cuse for first time I went to Noxious Hollow - terrible place.

P.S. Like, the gap between 2 diff isn't even funny - UV is cakewalk, while NM is anal rape.

Edit:
P.P.S. Did I say that I did Limbo naked (because my precious armor/combat headset was almost broken) and wasn't even hit once? Yeah, Pancor+Army Of Darkness.

Last edited:

Infinitum

Scholar
Is Jupiter Hell as reliant on corner shooting as DoomRL is? Thinking about giving it a go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom