Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How is DS emulation? I'm having trouble finding compatibility lists, does that mean that pretty much everything works or that nothing does?

Most things should work and be playable, but the quality of emulation is a bit iffy. At least it was when I've tried to play shit on it a couple of years ago.
Should try to finish Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective honestly, seems like a cool game.

Why the fuck would you use RetroArch for anything except possibly emulators with no/worse GUI than RetroArch (something that doesn't include MelonDS)?
Superior a/v sync and next-frame latency (runahead is a real gamechanger). I'm very sensitive to input lag and it's pretty much impossible for me to play anything that's remotely action-y on say, PCSX2.

https://www.retroarch.com/?page=latency

It's worth surmounting all the UI bullshit (you get used to it eventually) for this reason alone.

Also, great CRT shaders.

Perkel

Arcane
Huge update coming to early acess yuzu in coming days called cache buffer rewrite. It is supposed to fix shitload of graphical bugs and improve a lot performance. It should come out in few days.

I've complained on and off in this thread about PCSX2's significant latency/frame timing issues - I tried everything under the sun for years and nothing seemed to fix either of them.

However, ever since switching to a 120hz panel, I notice that the timing issues are pretty much gone (no more scrolling stutter every few seconds - especially noticeable in a game like Gradius V if you pay attention to the background). Even input latency feels much better - even though the emulator is locked at 60hz. I can't think of an explanation, but I'll take it!

Playing through Maximo now. I think the first game is very underrated and the sequel, although universally praised as being an improvement, is much worse.

Perkel

Arcane
That might be due to PAL/NTSC difference. PAL games i think work in 50fps not in 60fps (thoug it depends a lot on game engine).

Due to the low resolution of the display and the easy to use dump/load textures of Citra, the 3DS games are among the best candidates to be emulated in HD with AI-upscaling algorithms. Inspired by this work on SMTIV, I tried to do something similar for SMTIV-A and Soul Hackers. The following are some preliminary results...

Yeah we did something like this with team like a 1 year ago for Monster Hunter XX (which is 3DS version of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate). Basically 100% of game textures (aside from few npcs) were upscaled via AI.

3ds:

unknown.png

highres + texturepack:

unknown.png

3ds textures + highres

citra-qt_2019-08-27_15-21-42.png

highres + texture pack

citra-qt_2019-08-27_15-18-57.png

Last edited:
No, it's not a 50/60hz issue. There is a frame pacing issue in PCSX2 (at least in 60hz displays) that produces stutter every few seconds (in both APIs - OpenGL and DirectX 11), try it for yourself - get a third person game (say, Tenchu) and pan the camera slowly around your character. You can also observe this in fast-scrolling games like shmups (very easy to see in Gradius V, which has busy backgrounds with a lot of moving elements).

Perkel

Arcane
No, it's not a 50/60hz issue. There is a frame pacing issue in PCSX2 (at least in 60hz displays) that produces stutter every few seconds (in both APIs - OpenGL and DirectX 11), try it for yourself - get a third person game (say, Tenchu) and pan the camera slowly around your character. You can also observe this in fast-scrolling games like shmups (very easy to see in Gradius V, which has busy backgrounds with a lot of moving elements).

I never had this issue and i played plenty of games on pcsh2.

mogwaimon

Magister
if your new monitor has Freesync/Gsync perhaps that was what fixed the issue? could be a possibility. I've never had a good relationship with PCSX2 myself, it's serviceable and it's really all we've got for PS2 but it's not exactly the most bug-free emulator...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I had this problem on Burnout: Crash for PS2 while using PCSX2. It ran a Wizardry game fine, but couldn't handle a racing game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BROS, the new Yuzu Early Access build with the new cache improvements is the real deal. This is the *FIRST TIME* I can legitimately say, "yeah I can play a game on Yuzu". Just spent like two hours blasting through Mario Odyssey with zero problems.

Also tried out Xenoblade Chronicles 1 Definitive edition remake and it's also the very first time I think that game is even playable on Yuzu, however unlike Mario Odyssey it did not run that well. Make sure to change the Accuracy setting to 'High' for Xenoblade (default is 'Normal' and it's what's best for most games), and make sure everything is on OpenGL and all the options are enabled, and lastly and most importantly: you need to set your Windows page File to be at least 15 gigabytes or more or else most 3d games will crash quickly (Yuzu has problems with memory management). Personally I have a 32gb page file.

You will still see some stutters as you play the games, unfortunately. On OpenGL it has dynamic shader creation on-the-fly and it does work but it's not seamless, there are still mini-stutters as the game creates the shader pipeline as you play, but it is bearable. It's nothing like how bad it was on CEMU before they implented their dynamic system. Alternatively you can try to seek out pre-made shader caches but you'll have to wait a little bit before they show up again as the last few builds broke previous caches.

EDIT: Oh, also tried Link's Awakening and that one runs decently too but with missing graphics on OpenGL; for Link's Awakening it's recommended to use VULKAN but the downside (aside from Yuzu's vulkan implementation being worse-performing than its OpenGL) is that Vulkan doesn't support dynamic shader creation so the pipeline creation is the bad one, like in the old CEMU days. If you can bear that, or find a pre-made shader cache someone made (will probably start showing up soon on emulation/piracy reddits) then it's basically 100% playable.

Gonna torrent 3 Houses next and give that a try next.

EDIT 2: Also tried Astral Chain and it works pretty well. Actually, probably the 2nd best performer after Mario Odyssey! However it did crash occasionally, every 20-30 minutes of gameplay, and every cutscene it was 50/50 whether it'd crash or not. Probably has to do with some memory leakage as not even the 32gb pagefile alleviated the crashes like it does with other Yuzu games. Besides the crashing, though, the actual game itself runs just fine and is perfectly playable.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Unrelated specifically to emulation but I also recently got a GSYNC-compatible monitor and it does work. It has a feature called Low-Framerate Compensation where, when gsync is activated, if a game's FPS falls to below 40fps or so then it will double the gsync'ed refresh rate, so that for example Mario Odyssey running at 30fps on Yuzu, gsynced, will use 60Hz signal. This is actually really fucking nice because you play the game at the gsynced framerate but without the latency of the lower refresh rate. At around 50fps or so it reverts to normal behavior and syncs 1:1 the fps with the refresh rate, so 60fps = gsynced 60hz; however this LFC feature ended up being REALLY good for Emulated games that run at 30fps.

the way gsync works, basically, is simple: it matches the refresh rate to whatever the frame rate is, down to the decimal, every single milisecond, so this means the game is always "synced" regardless of the framerate fluctuation and this means it's smooth and doesn't camera-stutter or hiccup like games do when they're not 'synced' to the refresh rate, and additionally there is no sudden big STUTTER that happens when normal v-sync is being used and the framerate falls below the refresh rate... HOWEVER (and I want to stress this) it isn't magic. 30fps still feels exactly the same as 30fps does on a normal system. It does not magically make lower framerates play or feel better. What it does do, however, is really really really fucking nice. Not having to worry about your frame rate fluctuating or suffering a sudden drop is pretty damn magical, plus you never again have to give another thought to vsync usage, which that alone can be a huge worry off the mind. Just turn on gsync and play.

Can't really say right now if it's worth the extra money you'll pay for the monitor to have the feature... it's tough to judge. For me it was worth it. It gives me both very smooth gaming, always synced, no worry about fps fluctuation, but it doesn't make your games run better, it doesn't eliminate game-related stutters, it's very much a "bonus" feature. A very, very good one, a REALLY good one that can improve your quality of life during a gaming session, but it's not like upgrading your GPU or CPU, it's not THAT kind of upgrade.

EDIT: Oh forgot to mention that when gsync is on you don't have the latency you'd get from using v-sync, so for people like Great Deceiver it's also a nice thing to have. I can tell you right now, as someone who normally used v-sync enabled on every game for years and years (I hate camera stutter) when I loaded up a game with only Gsync on and no vsync bruh... it felt like I was fucking flying through the game. It was quite dramatic. The lag added by normal vsync is no joke!

So for people who find the added lag of vsync uncomfortable but also want the smoothness of vsync then yes, Gsync is exactly what you want. That alone might be enough for you if you want as least latency as possible while also having zero camera stutter.

The monitor I got is the Nixeus EDG 27, snagged it for $335 on Amazon.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

I had this problem on Burnout: Crash for PS2 while using PCSX2. It ran a Wizardry game fine, but couldn't handle a racing game.

Burnout games for ps2 are one of those that are notoriously difficult to emulate in general. Do lots of weird precise stuff.

There are, though honestly since the frame pacing improvements last year I can't notice them anymore either. I definitley did before though.

Edit: Could those changes have possible be coincided with your purchasing of a new display? The last of those changes were in october.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/commit/b62270ea2ecd8c6aec0851b3db25b79e65ddc3e8

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Some footage of latest Yuzu build running Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remake. Rig is i5 8400 6-core CPU / RTX 2060 6gb GPU.

1. The light camera stutter you see is mainly because I disabled vsync/gsync in order to record better, and it is additionally exaggerated by the shitty recording software. The game is smooth during normal play with the emulator's vsync option enabled (or with gsync).
2. There is a noticeable "hiccup" when the game first loads where the footage jumps, again this is because of the recording software. Game runs fine during normal emulated play.

EDIT: DailyMotion takes a while to raise a newly uploaded video's quality to 'source', so if it loads at 360p for you it's because of the wait queue. It'll be at its original quality later.

EDIT 2: Here's Mario Odyssey:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Repost from the "avatard" thread. Great avatar potential / good luck upscaling all this with AI...

Humies:

01.png
02.png
03.png
04.png
05.png

06.png
07.png
08.png
09.png
10.png

Monsters:

tex1-256x256-1236-AB0-BD777-BED1-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-1-F1-E78-B7-DE9-FF05-F-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-28-DE799-BBCD77039-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-3521-ABF52760-A470-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-4-E2-F52366-CC0-FF44-0-1.png

tex1-256x256-6-F38-B8444-C6-AEB6-E-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-96-BAB535-E91-CDAB7-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-BBBCBC9-AB4553-A18-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-DFB7-AD21-FAAAB84-A-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-E0-F788-D6-BE52788-B-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-EA798755-F0-C9-B322-0-1.png
tex1-256x256-F4-BA885-B14-E706-C5-0-1.png

All files in original size from the game, only flipped.

lightbane

Arcane
Looks good, but worst girl Yuzu doesn't deserve to be part of the package. The Jack Bros look cool.

Doktor Best

Arcane
My fucking S10 somehow deleted my Dragon Quest 3 rom by itself in which i was about 3/4 through the game....

I managed to find two .SAV files but i can't get johnsnes to recognize them as save files for my redownloaded DQ3 rom (the version should be identical)

Am i fucked now or is there some way to sync those?

Also what the fuck is this? Never had this issue with cheaper phones. Goddamn Samsung piece of shit, always bothering me with updates and bloatware...

mogwaimon

Magister
the actual save file might have a .srm extension, keep in mind. .sav is usually used for save states I think and not the cartridge memory. Also make sure your saves have the exact same filename as the ROM otherwise it likely won't pick up. TBH not too familiar with Android/iOS emulators but that's the general rule of thumb for traditional emulators so hopefully it'll work for your emu too

edit: exact same file name minus the extension of course, so if your rom is Dragon Quest 3 (J) [!].smc for example your save needs to be Dragon Quest 3 (J) [!].srm or .sav. just read that some android emulators do save the SRAM as .sav and not .srm

My current monitor does support GSYNC, actually (it's a CX OLED tv), but I'm not using it currently because I'm still running a GTX 1070, which doesn't support GSYNC through HDMI, only through DisplayPort. I was expecting to upgrade to a 3080 late last year, but prices have been ridiculous and I refuse to be scalped. I'd even be willing to go for a 3070, but those are also scalper's paradise right now.

aweigh I've been forcing Scanline Sync through RTSS all this time, it's sort of a ghetto version of variable sync and you can only use it reliably on games that you can double or even triple the target framerate (last game I played through with Scanline Sync on was Dead Space 1). Looking forward to the real deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom