Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I use the same spear Eyestabber uses here, but my interrupt attacks do 0 damage and regular attacks barely do any damage at all. I think this stuff was rebalanced.

Rigth, my speardude who ripped through the game died at constructs too, I think that's the consequences of old patch - I think, game recently got new patches, right?

I finished the med room and Emperor with your save. Just hit torso and step back out of interruption range. Done them within 2 tries. No consumables other than whetstone used.

Well, I didn't used berserk potion in that fight with constructs that eliminated my ironman char. With it I could probably do soemthing?
As chance to hit was already low anyway. Thing is damage I deal was so low - in dps sense - that one of them got the chance to go through interrapt twice, and there was 4 of them.

Parabalus

Arcane
Rigth, my speardude who ripped through the game died at constructs too, I think that's the consequences of old patch - I think, game recently got new patches, right?

Spear used to do full damage interrupts and you'd overcap interrupt by like 50%.

And the SP changes made the game generally harder.

All changes for the better.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah, now that you mention it, we did change interrupts a long time ago, so they are something used to keep enemies away, not outright kill them. Here's the code bit:

//QUICK JAB
new AttackConstructor()
{
nameIndex = 28;
damageType = "fast";
targetType = "body";
apModifier = -2;
thcModifier = 15;
thcFunc = "getTHC";
effects = "damage_Coef(0.25)";
thcCriticalFunc = "getCSC_NONE";
criticalEffects = "";
tilesFunc = "";
forceRange = -1;
animAttacks = "spear1h=fast_spear1h; spear1hlong=fast_spear1h; spear2h=fast_spear2h;";
tags = "interrupt";
};

Basically, it's 25% of a fast attack damage.

Regarding the latest changes, it's a few crash fixes, and now the AI uses all its AP all the time (sometimes it didn't). Game's probably harder now, so any reports are welcome if some parts need a few tweaks.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Did another casual Tough Bastard 6 CHA run - two things annoyed me.
Emperor killed Demon, yet Demon's weaponry was nowhere to be found (I also felt like the game favored swords over daggers strongly - both Enf and Emp had them).
Opponents could attack diagonally, player more often than not coudn't.
Luckilly Colony Ship demo didn't pose such problems, in fact I think I slightly prefered the combat there ;)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Regarding the latest changes, it's a few crash fixes, and now the AI uses all its AP all the time (sometimes it didn't). Game's probably harder now, so any reports are welcome if some parts need a few tweaks.

Wait, it's some RECENT changes?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Well that's the end of my Dungeon Rats replay. The Ismail + scorpions fight locks up my entire PC and forces a hard restart. Fucking Torque.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well that's the end of my Dungeon Rats replay. The Ismail + scorpions fight locks up my entire PC and forces a hard restart. Fucking Torque.
Hard restart of your PC or of the executable? If you're playing on Win7+, that really indicates a hardware issue on your side. Even if the video driver is screwed up, windows's driver framework is such that it intercepts crashed drivers somewhat gracefully. Your computer shouldn't be rebooting based on torque / DR choking.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hard restart of your PC or of the executable? If you're playing on Win7+, that really indicates a hardware issue on your side. Even if the video driver is screwed up, windows's driver framework is such that it intercepts crashed drivers somewhat gracefully. Your computer shouldn't be rebooting based on torque / DR choking.

Really?
Have you ever had any windows installed on your computer?

Since windows 95, it's a feature, Windows Me being the absolute crash champion.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Really?
Have you ever had any windows installed on your computer?

Since windows 95, it's a feature, Windows Me being the absolute crash champion.
Yes, that's why I specified Win7+. Other than hardware faults (overheating, bad hardware component), driver issues can still crash a computer but a game crashing a computer doesn't really jive with modern systems. Most full system crashes "due to" games are because the cpu or gpu are overheating, psu is dying, or bad memory. Note that I said system crashes, obviously software crashes are rampant and common. This is why I asked if his system was restarting, or just the executable.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's not my PC restarting. It throws an error message, refuses to close, and doesn't allow me to manually kill the process or even do other things while it's sitting there fucked up. Pressing the power button is my only escape.

Absinthe

Arcane
If you want spear interrupts to kill nowadays, you should basically stack huge crit on them so the crit ignores DR and possibly inflicts a bleed. Throwing poison on top is not bad either.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, my Ironman swordsman 4/10/9/10/5/2 died at Democritus... this fucker is always a threat for me.
I think I reload the save and try different strategy.

If you want spear interrupts to kill nowadays, you should basically stack huge crit on them so the crit ignores DR and possibly inflicts a bleed. Throwing poison on top is not bad either.

To stack crit you need to basically refuse on some skill - you can't refuse on spear itlesf, so it shpild be defence skill.
So spear 10, crit 10 (probbaly less of course) dodge/block 6-7?
Srt 10 I guess?

Last edited:

Ihavenoidea

Educated
To stack crit you need to basically refuse on some skill - you can't refuse on spear itlesf, so it shpild be defence skill.
So spear 10, crit 10 (probbaly less of course) dodge/block 6-7?
Srt 10 I guess?
Doesn't that leave you with a lack of alchemy? I think high alchemy is better than 10 str, since you would have harder beginning (ants) some optional fights maybe (still, better antidote helps against scolopendrae). Pump it at least to 4, better to 6. Also I'm unsure why dodge/block - isn't dodge the way to go for spears (esp since it gives the chance for striking back)? Only Scaurus has a tolerable 1 - hand spear, and it's still not that good compared to 2 handed imo.
Then again, my runs are (relatively - Tough Bastard) casual, so I could be wrong.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Game owns me in every possible way. )
Killed by ants, killem by claim jumpers, by scorpion lul.
My desperate spearman with Con 4 (with Marcus as crafter), daggerman with Int 10 ahah...
Gimme solid build lol, ahaha game wtf you doing!

Also, I noticed this - enemy still attack after Attack of Opportunity - was this a bug they didn't before?
Ants attack 4 times - was it always like that?
Hm?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Last run, no foes defeated me (my reload power was too strong even for the strongest ones) but the labyrinth did.
Once at the top of the mines, next to the lift, i paused for a while and when i took back my save, i couldn't find where to go, finally uninstalled later...

I'm thinking about a ranged build or a shield + i'm not sure which weapon build given my previous runs were dodge + 2H or dodge + 1H and no shield.

Or maybe i didn't erase the save files ...

Ihavenoidea

Educated
I'm thinking about a ranged build or a shield + i'm not sure which weapon build given my previous runs were dodge + 2H or dodge + 1H and no shield.
Why not both? I think my first run was hand crossbow/shield, and I managed to get to the constructs, only to discover they can be no longer shot in the head, because of the patch.
In all seriousness - ranged hand crossbows + poisoned bolts is a strong choice for party, either for Roxy or you.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
When I first won the game solo with daggers, bleed was working for constructs. Dunno what to do now - achemy?
Also, heard someone did shield+spear+throwing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom