Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
Poland in 2023 after CDPR is unable to sell any games and their economy no longer exists
image.png

Codex Year of the Donut
The game is a smashing success
pole cope hour
fQxD7fr.png

ReEaj7B.png

CDPR's reputation is in the shitter right now. They went from most beloved to hated nearly as much as EA overnight.

428.119 reviews on 6 year old The Witcher 3 and 322.299 reviews on 2 month old Cyberpunk 2077.

These mutherfuckers are swimming in money.
It's not about the sales, it's about their reputation.
I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand. People bought this game on the back of Witcher 3's reputation. What do you think that will do to their next game?

Harthwain

Magister
The gaming is a smashing success despite the whining of cucks and soyboys whom had a fantastical idea of a dream game in their head that was never going to translate into reality.
Game cost more to make than GTA 5 and won't sell even 1/3rd of what it did.

The game recouped its costs with the preorders alone.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/12/cyberpunk-2077-costs-recouped-from-preorders/
Wasn't this article made very shortly after the release? And before the announcement about refunding the game (after the issues with the game became apparent on all platforms)? If so, then that's not the full picture. Unless people really didn't feel like refunding.

Xeon

Augur
Kinda wish YongYea condenses his news instead of spamming, I kinda like what AngryJoe does, which he makes 2 vids every week where they cover most news and be done with it. Nowadays I just look at the headline for YongYea and move on.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Sawyer comments!
ofc the guy who has created repeat failures thinks there's no such thing as "dev magic"
I'm not a fan of Sawyer, but he is actually right about this. A development project of the size of Cyberpunk cannot be saved on a developer level if the planning is terrible and the vision unclear. And he is also right that poor planning will lead to a lot of developers leaving the company (usually the talented ones are the first to go as they have options). In the mid term, poor planning will absolutely hurt the company even if you somehow manage to deliver each of your deathmarch projects. That said, I would never work for Sawyer (or in gaming development in general).

msxyz

Augur
I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand. People bought this game on the back of Witcher 3's reputation. What do you think that will do to their next game?
Finally someone who understands this. Stocks value (and CDPRD IS a public company) depends a lot on reputation. Look at Tesla: they produce crappy EVs that catch fire, even when they're parked in a garage, and have an autopilot with suicidal tendencies and yet they market cap is bigger than GM just because people believe Elon Musk is a sort of genius.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kinda wish YongYea condenses his news instead of spamming, I kinda like what AngryJoe does, which he makes 2 vids every week where they cover most news and be done with it. Nowadays I just look at the headline for YongYea and move on.
Same here. 90% of his videos are reading up interviews and articles, with 10% original though. A shorter video with only the 10% original thought would be more enjoyable.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just downvote any one of those idiots who think reading articles out loud on youtube brings any value.

Interesting, thanks. I guess I'd assume internal projections to be on the conservative side, but that's pure speculation on my part. I expect CDPR's priority will be to hop back into Sony's jockstrap by end of February at the very latest, and they may be able to course-correct through 2021.

Finally someone who understands this. Stocks value (and CDPRD IS a public company) depends a lot on reputation. Look at Tesla: they produce crappy EVs that catch fire, even when they're parked in a garage, and have an autopilot with suicidal tendencies and yet they market cap is bigger than GM just because people believe Elon Musk is a sort of genius.
Like I said, they are not out of the woods until they put the game back on the PS store:
My guess is this message was meant to inspire confidence in the console audience, warm them up in advance of an update which will put the game back on the playstation store. This is CDPR's real and highest priority - getting the game back on the playstation store. It's not placating PC gamers. So we shouldn't read things into it that are not there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Adam Badowski, aka The Big Bad, has few thoughts

Er4ODvqWMAYlb43

Honestly, however much Badowski fucked up - and boy did he fucked up - he's sounding more sane than the Schreier's article here. The moment I read "hurr durr the E3 demo was fake" I was like
rating_prosper.png
. What the fuck does it even mean for a demo to be "fake"? Immediately sounded like a bullshit buzzword to me. Badowski is right to blast Schreier for that schtick.

As for "most people said the game wouldn't be ready", here Badowski's answer sounds like muddying the waters. I can easily imagine most people really didn't believe they could pull it off in time.

And QQ-ing about Potatoes speaking potato, well boohoo. That strongly reeks of Western snowflakism. Altho depends on the circumstances ofc.

In general the article feels WAY more bombastic and sensational and dogpily than Schreiers previous analyses for Kotak, especially for Andromeda and Anthem.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
badowski should step down because he is a shit game director. there are people with lots of skill at cdpr (especially in the art and writing department) and he wasted their talents making the game a eurojank ubisoft game. them rebooting the game in 2016 and making it first person was a huge mistake. everyone should have seen the trainwreck coming especially the game director who gets paid lots of money to anticipate these things but no he wanted to compete with rockstar in half the time with half the people

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
22043.jpeg

Harthwain

Magister
The moment I read "hurr durr the E3 demo was fake" I was like
rating_prosper.png
. What the fuck does it even mean for a demo to be "fake"? Immediately sounded like a bullshit buzzword to me. Badowski is right to blast Schreier for that schtick.
Indeed:

There ARE differences, but you really have to watch it side-by-side to spot them (also, the retail version is... better?) and this doesn't really amount to justify saying it was a "different end product than the one shown at E3" (I am assuming that's what he meant), especially when gameplay-wise it's pretty much the same.

Perkel

Arcane
Tried polish language.. lol. Incomparable to english version. Feels like watching some soap drama. Definitely do not recommend anyone playing like that.

Naraya

Arcane
Tried polish language.. lol. Incomparable to english version. Feels like watching some soap drama. Definitely do not recommend anyone playing like that.
And I was pleasantly surprised (the only other game I played in PL was TW3 and it was just excellent).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
And I was pleasantly surprised (the only other game I played in PL was TW3 and it was just excellent).

Witcher 1 was also great in Polish. Even Enhanced Edition has a bad English translation. Plain, no character whatsoever.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
So what's up with that Crucifixion quest, Sinnerman? It was, by far, the strangest quest I've ever played in an RPG. I mean, lots of RPG's have "lol, so random" quests, but this wasn't the sort of strange that was "lol random." It totally fit with the tone of the world and the universe, showing how degraded humanity has become in the universe, yet, despite this, it still has a drive to find meaning in faith and God. Or something. I honestly cannot, for the life of me, get what the writers were trying to say about God and faith through it, other than, perhaps, that man's drive for faith has been corrupted and commodified by the universe's glorification of violence and corporate culture.

Honestly, from that perspective, I kind of respect it, as it might be a comment on televangelists and the commodification of religion, but those things aren't a problem in Poland. So maybe it's about the glorification of martyrdom and violence among Catholics? It's possible I'm reading too much into it and giving it too much credit. I suspect it might be shit, but it'd definitely brought some of the game's themes into focus that I wasn't paying attention to and will now look out for a bit more.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Poland in 2023 after CDPR is unable to sell any games and their economy no longer exists
image.png
CDPR tanking could actually be a blessing for Poland. They sold their souls to the West already, while at the same time sucking all the developers from around Poland to their company, and Polish companies making good games (like Vendetta) have no developers causing their games to be technically broken on release and take years to fix, but that often is too late and these games flop even if they end up being great afterwards.

Though Witchers were quite good even if popamole, so I had positive look on CDPR overall, but CP77 kinda proved the company is just derailing. Just as Witcher was much better than Witcher 3, CP is much worse than WItcher 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom