Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need for Speed Underground vs. Underground 2

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Which is better and why?

I remember playing a lot of Underground 1 but couldn't get into second one. I think it was free roaming aspect that wasn't for me, I preferred just jumping straight to races.

Ash

Arcane
2 was better in pretty much every way.

This.

I remember playing a lot of Underground 1 but couldn't get into second one. I think it was free roaming aspect that wasn't for me, I preferred just jumping straight to races.

I recommend giving it another chance. While not the best open world design its open world had purpose unlike every other racing game with an open world ever:

1. hidden shops that don't appear on the GPS.
2. cash/SMS pickups
3. street race opportunities.
4. most races take place in this world as cordoned-off tracks, so by traversing it to the next event or to explore for the secrets listed above you learn tracks in advance.

Between its open world with purpose, NOS system, and considerably extensive car customisation NFSU2 remains my favorite racing game (even though it could be better). Put difficulty on hard and gear shifting in manual mode like a real man and get racing.
I'm not the biggest racing game fan so take my words with a grain of salt, but have played quite a few over the years.

It just got steadily more declined from there. UG2 was massive incline, then Most Wanted was good but missing a bunch of features, Carbon even moreso, Pro street was bordering barebones, then by the next game it was deep in the decline era and every game was low effort shit designed for complete morons.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
NFS: Prostreet is still cool in my book. It had ridiculous balancing - some cars were straight-up OP like Porsche 911 or Toyota Supra but it was fun to collect money early and buy them straight-away until EA have put story-progression lock. :argh:

NFS: Carbon was weird. The world was small, the story was literally 3 cutscenes per area boss behind grind and the police system served no purpose other than unlocking some rewards from main menu like bonus cars. Most Wanted or Underground 2 had way more races and the grind wasn't a grind. It was fun trashing all cop-cars and getting points required to beat next blacklist driver. And races gave you money for your next sweet-ass ride unlocked from previous blacklist duel. Also the squad/crew system in Carbon was a gimmick.

Underground 2 was missing cops and more sports-cars and Most Wanted delivered that. Haven't played Undeground 1 so no opinion on that game other than kickass soundtrack in a demo.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been so long that I can't even remember the differences. Loved them both though. The last one I really loved was Hot Pursuit 2010. The drive feel was just perfect, and switching over to playing police every once in a while was a cool change. Also no open world is a plus. I don't think an open world really adds anything to racing games.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Hot Pursuit 2 had the best soundtrack.

Which is unfortunate because it is one of the worst games in the series.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
2 was better in pretty much every way.

This.

I recommend giving it another chance. While not the best open world design its open world had purpose unlike every other racing game with an open world ever:

1. hidden shops that don't appear on the GPS.
2. cash/SMS pickups
3. street race opportunities.
4. most races take place in this world as cordoned-off tracks, so by traversing it to the next event or to explore for the secrets listed above you learn tracks in advance.

Between its open world with purpose, NOS system, and considerably extensive car customisation NFSU2 remains my favorite racing game (even though it could be better). Put difficulty on hard and gear shifting in manual mode like a real man and get racing.
I'm not the biggest racing game fan so take my words with a grain of salt, but have played quite a few over the years.

It just got steadily more declined from there. UG2 was massive incline, then Most Wanted was good but missing a bunch of features, Carbon even moreso, Pro street was bordering barebones, then by the next game it was deep in the decline era and every game was low effort shit designed for complete morons.

imagine if UG2 looked better and had Trackmania Turbo's sense of speed

Camel

Scholar
I really loved NFSU1 - racing, buying cars and of course, customisation. I spent as much time pimping my ride as I raced it. Played so much with friends and classmates. Underground 2 had awesome free play with an open world.

I think Underground and the Fast and the Furious led many people to a real-life car tuning. I remember so many normies loving Underground 1 & 2. It was discussed and played by normies like Baldur’s gate 2.

Raapys

Arcane
UG2's car customization was excellent. It also had a new race mode, Street X, which was probably my favorite. The shitty tuner car selection was the main problem of the Underground series.

Overall, NFS Porsche is still better though. I also liked High Stakes, which had actual cash prize rewards and even pink slip races. Some great maps too.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
UG2's soundtrack, though memorable, is godawful with the exception of some of the purely electronic racing tracks

the mod removing UG2's awful ricing rating system is essential

UG2 was taking steps in the right direction, allowing you to tune fine tune your gears, shocks, ECU etc, it's been going ever backwards ever since, no?

what a dream it would be to have a game with the stylings, spirit and detail of the Shutoko Battle and Kaido Battle series and... well, something from the NFS series (open world, police chases) - Need for Shutoko: Underground Battle: Unwiggerfied

Gerrard

Arcane
UG2's car customization was excellent. It also had a new race mode, Street X, which was probably my favorite. The shitty tuner car selection was the main problem of the Underground series.

Overall, NFS Porsche is still better though. I also liked High Stakes, which had actual cash prize rewards and even pink slip races. Some great maps too.
You complain about UG's car selection and then mention Porsche in the next sentence.
:codexisfor:

Camel

Scholar
Josie Maran
latest

68103_126173074112068_7938337_n.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom