Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Then again, nostalgic value aside I never though particularly highly of the original BG theme either.

The Shadows of Amn theme is pretty good. My favorite, though, was Waukeen’s Promenade for the eastern styles that really brought out the feeling of emerging from Château Irenicus as a stranger in a strange land.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Orchestral soundtracks are almost always big decline because the tracks end up being far too overdone for the sake of making use of the entire orchestra.
Stop trying to make video games have scores that sound like they belong in a movie

Bara

Arcane
I see the game is progressing so well people started to go on tangents again. :lol:

Bot the BG3 & Solasta threads seam to suffer a lot from that. Maybe it's a 5E thing.

Well, not since Kirill passed away.
:negative:

Speaking of Kirill a reminder that his website is still up and being hosted where all his music was made available to download free of charge.

Just click the "Click Here" in the top right box of the webpage under MP3 Downloads. Kirill is such a bro even beyond the grave. Also this Alexander Stiehl guy whose the one maintaining the download page.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Goldschmidt

Learned
I, for one, am ready for our Belgian overlords. Too bad they come with questionable quality RPGs.

Herman-Brusselmans.jpg

Jean-Pierre-Van-Rossem.jpg

Jean-Claude-Van-Damme.jpg

images3-persgroep-net.jpg

swen.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Nice video. But IMO Larian could made the descendants of the Bhaalspawn important to the story.

And he is right about hype; If BG3 was exactly the same game but with "neverwinter nights 3" name, it would't have get the same amount of attention. Only to complement few things.

1 - The armor design and arstyle looks more like DOS2 than original BG. The UI and extreme focus on environmental gimmickys too. In Solasta, the environment seems as part of the world, not only a gimmicky. The UI also looks more like DOS2. Why I can't pick a book and chose the spells to memorize like I could on original BG?

2 - The "there are no shortage of D&D games", was said in the past, where we had tons of D&D adaptations only from SSI. Noways, all D&D adaptations are awful. Sword Coast Legends, Tons of mobile cashgrabs...

3 - His analogy with fallout games.Many fallout fans of the original hates the BUGThesda's ones. And I honestly think that FNV is the best MODERN fallout exactly because it has a lot of things from old school fallouts on it.

4 - Was kinda frustrating to see BG2 + ToB with over 300 spells and only wish able to produce dozens of different effects and see BG3 being more a low level "dungeons & kobolds" adventure. Mainly considering how much 5e spells are nerfed and how little power you gain and how much HP you gain. Essentially making high level content a Oblivion style low lethality drag.

5 - HE is completely right when he points out that BG3 made by modern BioWare would be awful. But BioWare is the best example of decline in gaming. Amazing with BG1/2 and SW:Kotor. Average with DA:O. Awful with DA2, DA:I and complete trash with Anthem and ME Andromeda.

6 - Comments completely underestimating the playerbase, for eg, criticizing spell slots also don't help much from Vincke. Even pokemon, a children portable game has a system similar to spell slots, where a powerful move like fire blast can be used 5 times per rest.

Gargaune

Magister

The author is correct that calling the original Baldur's Gate IP "Baldur's Gate" was a big misstep, but he's woefully off the mark with his general argument. And the reason for that is apparent in how often he refers to Larian's game as "Baldur's Gate" rather than what they actually named it, which is "Baldur's Gate 3." That's not merely recycling an established Forgotten Realms term, it's a series denominator and, to quote myself, since I so love the sound of my own voice:

It's not, and no plot hook or miniature giant space hamster is going to change that. Videogames are described by their gameplay first and narrative second. If Obsidian came along to continue TNO's story with a game where you play Carmageddon in the Blood War, that wouldn't make it a sequel to Planescape: Torment. You can argue this game's D&D credentials all you want, but they didn't call it "Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition", they called it "Baldur's Gate 3", yet it's not even in the same subgenre. Like it or not, PFKM is more faithful to what the old BG games were merely by virtue of it being isometric RTwP.

BG3 will be to the Baldur's Gate series what Fallout 3 was to your precious Fallouts. Bethesda came along, liked the potential in the Fallout IP but reasoned that they had experience and success in the more popular Action-RPG segment, so they refactored the property into Oblivion-with-Guns while also giving the Codex a case of perennial hemorrhoids as an added bonus. While the gap between an ARPG and a TB CRPG is indeed significantly greater than between a TB CRPG and a RTwP CRPG, the core issue is the same in that BG3 will play very differently from how BG played.

A big difference to Bethesda's Fallout run is, as mentioned before, that WotC did have space to pull a fast one by launching a new franchise and using "Baldur's Gate" as a subtitle, with the benefit of future versatility as well. That they instead went all out to just call it Baldur's Gate 3, especially since the Bhaalspawn saga was adequately concluded and BG2 comes with plenty of continuity baggage, comes across as a curious lack of confidence in their D&D brand given all their recent success with streaming and such.

None of this is to say that BG3 won't be a good RPG, just that it's not Baldur's Gate.
He does get down to the legitimate business reason for WotC and Larian to reuse the Baldur's Gate name around the 9-minute mark, i.e. "hype", but that's an explanation, not a justification, at least it'd better not be on a forum that's still wailing over the aforementioned Fallout 3 (which he also references, by the way). I'd also be remiss not to point out how fabulously optimistic the video author is about the supposed quality guarantees afforded by "expectations..."

Cyberpunk_2077_box_art.jpg
So, nice try but it's back to the waffle iron for you.

Have Larian added anything to the game since Nov?
The upcoming fourth patch is supposedly the first one actually *adding* some content rather than just fixing shit.

I still wouldn't expect much. Best case scenario: a couple more classes and an additional race.
Who knows, maybe even a level cap raised to 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom