Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IKR? No way cp2077 wouldn't get the first place in a codexer-only poll

The fanta poll has Wasteland 3 and Troubleshooter tied with Cyberpunk as a distant third so this poll is more or less accurate.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The obvious conclusion comes to mind after Codex 2020 GotY: Ban Felipepepe.

How can anyone vote for WL3 with a straight face anyway? That game's writing is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life. Literally written for retards... Oh, I guess I answered my own question. I mean, I enjoyed writing in Dragon Age 2 for what it was, but WL3 is unbearable.

But thanks for all the graphs and voting, felipepepe, if only to make me realize there was not a single decent RPG released this year (if we exclude EA). This is the picture to keep in mind:
98MTWg1.png

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
So the Codex agrees with the Dailystormer's favorite games 2020.

I would argue that Wasteland 3 is probably the best game ever made, and I love the Baldur’s Gate III early access. Those are both real RPGs, if any of you youngins want to get the classic experience in a modernized package. These two games are well written, and they both present worlds that I would want to live in. Yakuza 7 is a beautiful and unique RPG with endless exposition dumps that are actually engaging.
https://dailystormer.su/cyberpunk-2077-is-garbage/

:hero:

Mortmal

Arcane
There some things that makes absolutely no senses on the 2017 -2020 chart, if dominion 5 has few % of voters its completely normal but the % of postiive is so low is impossible as its one of the best game in this niche genre. Only most hardcore play that or even know about it . Thus people are voting 1 on this while not playing it , the troll votes were supposed to be removed, its clearly not the case.The other option , unthinkable, is its a forum for plebs.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think the only game I played that was released in 2020 was that chink phone game. And that includes non-RPG's. Truly an awful year.

Deleted member 7219

I can see some trolls swamped TOCS 3 with a 1/4 rating. Sad lives they must live if giving a game they haven’t played a bad rating gives them joy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Codex consensus is that Cyberpunk is only slightly better than The Outer Worlds. Tim Cain and CD Projekt have fallen, hail Swen Vincke and Owlcat.
Codex consensus where ? it was open to everyone, and most likely those who play cp2077 on oldgen consoles will revenge vote for good reasons .
also BlaineMono fuck you

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yakuza had like 70% maxed rating. Seems like the GOTY to me.

translated: fuck yo bayesian layman subversion shit

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex consensus is that Cyberpunk is only slightly better than The Outer Worlds. Tim Cain and CD Projekt have fallen, hail Swen Vincke and Owlcat.
1-4 scales don't really translate well to simple distance metrics, it's an ordinal scale, after all. Thus better comparisons should be made with distribution of votes rather than a simple number, averaged or not.

What I really mean to say is that I like CP2077 a lot, and The Outer Worlds is one of my worst experiences in terms of CRPGs. :dealwithit:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Cyberpunk 2077 gave us a new Crowbcat video, therefore it's my GOTY

To be fair the only ones that were eminently screwed up were console owners that usually give a shit about good RPGs. On PC CP2077 is perfectly playable, so in the end I think the situation is very balanced.

harhar!

Augur
So the Codex agrees with the Dailystormer's favorite games 2020.

I would argue that Wasteland 3 is probably the best game ever made, and I love the Baldur’s Gate III early access. Those are both real RPGs, if any of you youngins want to get the classic experience in a modernized package. These two games are well written, and they both present worlds that I would want to live in. Yakuza 7 is a beautiful and unique RPG with endless exposition dumps that are actually engaging.
https://dailystormer.su/cyberpunk-2077-is-garbage/

:hero:

It's basically the same userbase as the codex:

The prologue was probably supposed to take 2 and a half hours. It took me about twice as long as it should have because of the difficulty I have with shooters and the fact that I couldn’t resist the urge to randomly open fire on all of the lesbians and black people in the game, which resulted in me continually having to restart from checkpoints. It felt like pulling teeth.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The obvious conclusion comes to mind after Codex 2020 GotY: Ban Felipepepe.

How can anyone vote for WL3 with a straight face anyway? That game's writing is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

(a) My DM(s) have written worse. I'm not afraid.

(b) it's not Novel of the Year Award, Arcanum also had terrible writing for example. I don't need a lot to work with and my imagination can make up the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom