Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just checked Discord and seems the mod who have Beta access are already playing it (it was like this too for Alpha, there was a staff Alpha of some sort before the "public" release).

From the teasing seems like 1 - 2 weeks before Beta is released.

Lamiosa

Educated
so what's the scoop is this thing gonna be any good?
Both combat and graphics had a nice improvement, and will get even better in beta. We are also getting more options like classes, archtypes, spells, feats, etc. Some items are cool but many have effects tied to critical hits which is unreliable and uninteresting.

More subjective now:

The rest... idk. I don't like the companions that much (for reference in kingmaker my favorites were jubilost, nok-nok and harrim), but of course only half their story is finished and no voiced lines yet, so it's not a fair comparison. Crusade mechanics are boring, if it continues like this a way to skip it will be needed, especially as we are supposed to play more than one time as the game is shorter but with more replayability (devs said we'll see lots of improvements in beta so subject to change).

The story for now is following closely the AP but the AP is pretty meh, at least in kingmaker we had some good new shit and creative/fun parts like jubilost's companion quest that have no match until now in wrath (maybe in trickster path, didn't try it yet). The game is supposed to be way darker, and yes it is in some ways but the enemies are just there to be killed. Actually until now the only really evil person (in the sense of doing evil shit) was one of my main characters (lol). Perhaps chapter 4 in beta will allow more interesting writing due to being a large metropolis and the story branching for the mythic paths.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I keep feeling that once Owlcat have implemented the Pathfinder system to their satisfaction, they should try and create a level editor. I'm sure that people would love to create campaigns.

Even better would be a persistent world system like the Neverwinter Nights games, so there could be a true DM/players system for Pathfinder.

Have the Owlcat people ever mooted anything like those two ideas?

Codex Year of the Donut
I keep feeling that once Owlcat have implemented the Pathfinder system to their satisfaction, they should try and create a level editor. I'm sure that people would love to create campaigns.

Even better would be a persistent world system like the Neverwinter Nights games, so there could be a true DM/players system for Pathfinder.

I'd rather devs focus on actually making a game than making tools that nobody will ever use.
How many noteworthy modules have actually come out of NWN? I can think of like, two. And that's after 20 years and being by far the most popular RPG that focused heavily on user content creation tools.
Other than having a massive amount of absolute garbage churned out, NWN isn't batting above average for user created content in older cRPGs despite most of them not even providing any tools whatsoever.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I refuse to stay on the side of their Discord server where people chat. I'm only there for the dev announcements. Never been to their forums. I imagine those are cesspools of human filth too.

But as far as their streams go, I've only been able to pass along basic ideas like "Hey, maybe there should be a way to cancel active spells, haha..."

If you really want to suggest strong ideas, by all means, go ahead, but I'd be shocked if anyone else but papa Mishulin would be able to help you.

Codex Year of the Donut

I refuse to stay on the side of their Discord server where people chat. I'm only there for the dev announcements. Never been to their forums. I imagine those are cesspools of human filth too.

But as far as their streams go, I've only been able to pass along basic ideas like "Hey, maybe there should be a way to cancel active spells, haha..."

If you really want to suggest strong ideas, by all means, go ahead, but I'd be shocked if anyone else but papa Mishulin would be able to help you.
devs exclusively using discord means they only listen to trannies and groomers(often one and the same)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
devs exclusively using discord means they only listen to trannies and groomers(often one and the same)
Honestly, I don't know. As far as I can tell though, Owlcat devs don't give a flying fuck about what people say. They have the "sadistic game design" target, and they're actively pursuing it, regardless of praise or whining.

And since Kingmaker sold, and got them out of Paizo slavery, they know. They know where the money came from. I doubt that, for now, they will deviate from this mantra.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I'd rather devs focus on actually making a game than making tools that nobody will ever use.
How many noteworthy modules have actually come out of NWN? I can think of like, two. And that's after 20 years and being by far the most popular RPG that focused heavily on user content creation tools.
Other than having a massive amount of absolute garbage churned out, NWN isn't batting above average for user created content in older cRPGs despite most of them not even providing any tools whatsoever.

You will notice I said "once Owlcat have implemented." Obviously I agree that they have to make and polish the game first. But I was thinking about the afterlife of the game and the possibilities a well-implemented system can have.

99% of everything is garbage; quality is always conditional and relatively rare. There were some very good NWN/NWN2 modules too, and if you have a good DM that mode of gameplay is by far the best way of doing computer RPGs. To have the game world literally come alive around you and your party is a nonpariel immersive experience.

purpleblob

Savant
Just checked Discord and seems the mod who have Beta access are already playing it (it was like this too for Alpha, there was a staff Alpha of some sort before the "public" release).

From the teasing seems like 1 - 2 weeks before Beta is released.

I think I may have seen Codex quest NPC ;)

Dodo1610

Arcane
Owlcat is a pretty unique studio they clearly want to make challenging games but they are also not dumb enough to ignore casuals and their money. WOTR is definitely a lot more accessible with the actual helpful tutorials, animated cutscenes, 360° camera and a story mode where losing is nearly impossible. No idea how is left from the once huge Bioware casuals fanbase but I assume WOTR has the potential to sell a lot more copies than Kingmaker ever did.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
a story mode where losing is nearly impossible.
I don't think this will help them all that much. Easy was pretty damn easy in Kingmaker too. But there were A LOT of retards who played on Hard when they had no business to, and then complained on the forums when they got filtered. Lowering the difficulty would require them admitting they're not as good as they thought, and their ego simply could not take that hit.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Owlcat is a pretty unique studio they clearly want to make challenging games but they are also not dumb enough to ignore casuals and their money. WOTR is definitely a lot more accessible with the actual helpful tutorials, animated cutscenes, 360° camera and a story mode where losing is nearly impossible. No idea how is left from the once huge Bioware casuals fanbase but I assume WOTR has the potential to sell a lot more copies than Kingmaker ever did.

But have they got "journo mode" ready? That's the all-important question :)

Tyrr

Liturgist

But have they got "journo mode" ready? That's the all-important question :)
t2BPvdH.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
based on the latest stream the dev said that TBM is cool and in

most likely it is Turn-Based Mode

I will probably check it out to see whether they fixed the brain dead AI for TB mode on chapter 1 I guess (as the prologue is literally just 3 same encounters repeated over and over in Alpha) and whether it is worth playing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom