Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yakuza had like 70% maxed rating. Seems like the GOTY to me.
It was ahead for most of the voting days. The difference between them is very small, 2,91 to 2,89, but WL3 has triple the number of votes, it's too big of a difference.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1-4 scales don't really translate well to simple distance metrics, it's an ordinal scale, after all. Thus better comparisons should be made with distribution of votes rather than a simple number, averaged or not.

57% positive votes for Cyberpunk and 49% positive votes for Outer Worlds.

Rated 1: Cyberpunk 20% TOW 23.5%
Rated 2: Cyberpunk 22% TOW 27.3%
Rated 3: Cyberpunk 26% TOW 28.6%
Rated 4: Cyberpunk 31% TOW 20.6%

The biggest gap is between the 4 votes, which can be explained by a boost from fanboyism/nationalistic pride, otherwise the distribution is largely the same with Cyberpunk getting the slight edge towards positivity.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Shame SF 3 Fallen God is so underappreciated. It is more RPG then cyberbug will ever be and got some really neat dialogue and characters. Oh well, lets see what 2021 got in store for us.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I really thought it would be Troubleshooter, but I guess I overestimated the number of Codexers who'd've played it.

Don't fear the weeb, give it a try you laggards!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Isn't troubleshooter extremely gay?
Em95HjoUUAArSLw

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I suppose WL3 shows the importance of getting the basics right. As long as you have a solid core gameplay, good graphics and soundtrack, you can get away with stuff would normally cause controversy on the Codex. It's like I have some problems with the game but I don't care enough to bitch about them. I think it's the reason why thread ended up dying, no one bothers engaging with the edgelords because it's obvious they're being anal retentive.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Thanks for the poll feliepepe, Wasteland 3 was my choice for top RPG too, although given the crop of titles last year maybe 1st place could be withheld.

So the prize for InXile is

:dontbelievehislies: should be updated with one of CDPR heads?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The fanta poll has Wasteland 3 and Troubleshooter tied with Cyberpunk as a distant third so this poll is more or less accurate.

How many codexers voted multiple times to balance the soyboys votes though?
I suspect a more reasonable question is how many codexers are waiting for cyberpunk to get a few patches and performance improvements before playing. Cyberpunk seems to have potential to get more popular as time goes on, which I doubt will happen to WL3 (A game I literally forgot existed before it turned up in these results).

My only regret is I didn't play Cyberpunk faster since that would've bumped my rating up on it. Wouldn't have made a difference to overall results, but all the same. Not surprised Wasteland 3 won since it is a good chunk better than 2 and more mainstream and thus more likely to soak up votes. Don't doubt there might be a better RPG or two in there that I (And others) just haven't played yet but such is life. Also not too surprised to see Yakuza way up there since a buddy of mine swears by the series and thought Like a Dragon was the bee's knees. Little surprised Troubleshooter got third place since even though I've heard a lot of positive stuff about it, I didn't think it'd do so well in the RPG category.

In fact looking at the spread of votes for Cyberpunk and how even they are, it makes me wonder if the 1 and 2 pointers were consolefags and 3 and 4 were PC users. It got some surprisingly balanced scores across the board there. In fact the real takeaway seems to be there's a class of undesirables that need to be rounded up and put into camps, and that Like a Dragon is is actually the secret RPGOTY.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fanta poll has Wasteland 3 and Troubleshooter tied with Cyberpunk as a distant third so this poll is more or less accurate.

How many codexers voted multiple times to balance the soyboys votes though?
I suspect a more reasonable question is how many codexers are waiting for cyberpunk to get a few patches and performance improvements before playing. Cyberpunk seems to have potential to get more popular as time goes on, which I doubt will happen to WL3 (A game I literally forgot existed before it turned up in these results).

In fairness to Wasteland 3 (which I enjoyed overall, though definitely not something I'd consider amazing), they have fixed quite a few of the more glaring technical issues since release.

In particular they fixed the most glaring issue which was the godawful loading times (even on an nvme ssd). Sadly it still has some other typical unity issues like extremely random FPS drops and a persistent memory leak that requires you to restart the game every once in a while.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I woke up this morning, went to the bathroom and took a very foul dump for some reason. It was a nasty stomach-churning crap the likes of which makes you question the very nature of reality.

That turd mound was still less disgusting than a supposed "RPG Codex" GOTY poll where anyone unregistered can vote and that was advertised on twatter (and not even on official codex twatter at that).

Last edited:

Drop Duck

Learned
Suzerain was robbed.
Mate, it might deserve the top spot of some list, but is that list really the RPG of the year list? Say what you will about Wasteland 3 but at the end of the day it is an actual RPG, unlike so much else that was in the this year's nominations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom