Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Star Wars open world game in development at Ubisoft

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Your own signature says:

Yes, i know what it says. Do you? It says, that a lie, does not become truth just because a majority accepts it. It doesn't say that a thing can't be true if the majority accepts it. Get it now you asperger syndrome imbecile?

It is TemplarGR. He competes with the greatest dumbfucks the Codex had. And even though their retardation is absolutely legendary he is yet determined to prove that there that he has that ounce of extra class.

So don't try to demonstrate that he contradicts himself, I can already tell you what his response will be: he will just step up one more notch

I just replied to the above imbecile and displayed that there is no contradiction at all. Now what do you have to say you filthy german swine?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
In the medical literature you sometimes find mentions of hypochondriacs who develop the actual symptoms of the disease they fancy. For example they would have symptoms of diabetes while they feel they have diabetes.

I think you TemplarGR are destined to become a piece of medical history. As the first hypochondriac who showed all symptoms of Asperger syndrom, purely by the power of your imagination.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Your own signature says:

Yes, i know what it says. Do you? It says, that a lie, does not become truth just because a majority accepts it. It doesn't say that a thing can't be true if the majority accepts it. Get it now you asperger syndrome imbecile?

It is TemplarGR. He competes with the greatest dumbfucks the Codex had. And even though their retardation is absolutely legendary he is yet determined to prove that there that he has that ounce of extra class.

So don't try to demonstrate that he contradicts himself, I can already tell you what his response will be: he will just step up one more notch

I just replied to the above imbecile and displayed that there is no contradiction at all. Now what do you have to say you filthy german swine?

Seem to have hit a nerve there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

LUCASFILM GAMES HITS LIGHTSPEED TOWARD THE FUTURE
DOUGLAS REILLY, VP OF LUCASFILM GAMES, TALKS TO STARWARS.COM ABOUT THE JUST ANNOUNCED STORY-DRIVEN, OPEN-WORLD STAR WARS GAME FROM UBISOFT, AND MUCH MORE.

The Star Wars gaming galaxy is about to experience its own Big Bang.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff we’re ready to start sharing with fans,” Lucasfilm Games VP Douglas Reilly tells StarWars.com, “because we’ve been working quietly behind the scenes for a while now, waiting for this moment.”

And by “this moment,” Reilly is referring to a new direction and era for Star Wars and Lucasfilm gaming overall, as Lucasfilm Games is now opening the doors to developers that want to come play in the galaxy far, far away. “We’re looking to work with best-in-class teams that can make great games across all of our IP. We’ve got a team of professionals here at Lucasfilm Games who can work with the developers, shape the stories, shape the creative, shape the games, to make them really resonate with fans and deliver across a breadth of platforms, genres, and experiences so that all of our fans can enjoy the IPs that they know and love,” he says.

Case in point, the huge news that Lucasfilm Games and Ubisoft are collaborating on a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game. It’s a genre long-requested by fans, and will come to life via Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft’s critically-acclaimed studio based in Malmö, Sweden. “We’re really excited about an opportunity to work with the team at Massive, led by David Polfeldt and the creative director, Julian Gerighty. We’ve spent almost a year now, working to get to know them and what they want to bring to the table,” Reilly says. “I’m a huge fan of them, personally. I think we’re really excited about where that project is going, because they have a unique vision for the story and the game they want to deliver.”

Of course, Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment are renowned for their expertise in developing immersive worlds, and in pushing the boundaries of technology with their proprietary engine, Snowdrop. “We know that fans of Star Wars value the feeling of immersion — of being transported into the Star Wars galaxy and moving through richly-detailed environments. It’s fun to imagine what the team at Massive can do within Star Wars by bringing their innovative spirit and their commitment to quality,” Reilly says.

And for fans of modern Star Wars games, fear not: some old friends are sticking around.

Continuing the relationship that resulted in the reinvigorated Battlefront series, the critically-acclaimed Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and multiplayer hit Star Wars: Squadrons, Electronic Arts will too play a big role in the future of Star Wars gaming. “We’re really proud of the games we have created with EA,” Reilly says. “We will continue working with them and our relationship has never been stronger. While we may not have a lot of details to share at the moment, we’ve got a number of projects underway with the talented teams at EA.”

As with EA over the last few years, Lucasfilm Games will continue to guide titles from the franchise perspective, from ensuring Star Wars authenticity to story connectivity within the larger saga. “We try and help them leverage their passion, expertise, and idea by bringing our expertise around the IP, our ability to connect with other parts of Lucasfilm and The Walt Disney Company, to amplify that. To make it even bigger than they might imagine,” Reilly says. “We want to uncover the stories they’ve always imagined telling and make them resonate with our fans, and across the wider Star Wars galaxy.”

All this news comes on the heels of an official return to the classic Lucasfilm Games branding. And there’s meaning in that change. “This is really the culmination of years of preparing to come out and say, ‘We’re here, we’ve got a team of people, we’re going to make a lot of great games, and here’s some new things you weren’t expecting from us to do that we’re now starting to do,’” says Reilly. “And that’s going to continue throughout the next year or so, where we’re going to continue to announce projects that are more representative of the legacy of the old Lucasfilm Games that we’re now trying to live up to.”

Part of that legacy includes a certain adventuring archaeologist, who is also making a return to gaming. “The decision, in some ways, was really easy,” Reilly says. “I have wanted to do an Indiana Jones game for a long time, and we’ve never had the right fit of partner and idea to make that happen. We are extraordinarily fortunate to be working with Todd Howard, the executive producer for the upcoming game, which will be developed by MachineGames and the team at Bethesda. He has a unique vision and a unique passion for Indiana Jones, and pitched us a story and a concept that is so amazing, I can’t wait to start sharing it with folks. I love Star Wars and we love making Star Wars games, but it’s been a long time since we’ve made Indy. We’re really excited about this one.”

For Star Wars and Lucasfilm fans, there’s a lot to be excited about in the realm of gaming. And Reilly promises there’s more to come. “This is just the beginning of what I think is going to be a very exciting year for Lucasfilm Games.”

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd say no, but most people think of Witcher 3 as an open world game despite it being split into 4-5 sections. They could do a handful of planets with a quarter of an Assassin's Creed in each one.

Why would Witcher 3 not count as an open world game? Do you even understand what an open world means? Open world does not mean "seemless transition". Gothic was seemless but its openworld was smaller than White Orchard alone in Witcher 3....

I don't know why people think I was saying Witcher 3 is not an open world game in a post where I said Witcher 3 is an open world game. I guess I wrote it poorly, but I don't see it. Oh well.

Xelocix

Learned
But will there be a Fallen Order sequel? I want to see Cal tap that Nightsister ass.

It's all but been publicly confirmed there's a sequel to JFO that's been in development for a while now. According to a "leak" last February it's scheduled to release around Fall 2022, but leaks of any kind are usually fake so take it with a grain of salt.

deuxhero

Arcane
I checked. Snowdrop is not the engine Ubisoft uses for Far Cry, AssCreed or WatchDogs. It's what they used for The Division (and sequel), Mario+Rabids, and StarLink.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's going to be some GAAS looter shooter garbage, isn't it?
From what I can tell it's just gonna be another Division game. I was told 2 was fine but I don't think I care.

Theoretically being some mercanary man in Star Wars sounds fun (maybe with a tree to become force sensitive). However, the grind might be incredibly forced with a multiplayer centric model that just takes me away from everything.

I welcome Ubisoft to prove me wrong, despite everything I do still like Star Wars.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
However, the grind might be incredibly forced with a multiplayer centric model that just takes me away from everything.

Don't worry, it's Ubisoft. You'll be able to pay real money to get rid of the grind. It's the mark of a quality game when paying not to play it seems like a reasonable proposition.

People said that for AC Odyssey, but I never felt level-gated out of any content or main story quests. As long as you do some side quests, those XP boosters are not at all necessary from at least my experience.

Siveon

Bot
However, the grind might be incredibly forced with a multiplayer centric model that just takes me away from everything.

Don't worry, it's Ubisoft. You'll be able to pay real money to get rid of the grind. It's the mark of a quality game when paying not to play it seems like a reasonable proposition.

People said that for AC Odyssey, but I never felt level-gated out of any content or main story quests. As long as you do some side quests, those XP boosters are not at all necessary from at least my experience.
While this may or may not be true, I think a game is much much better off without the option at all. Why? It's a completely optional thing that doesn't affect me, a core gamer.

Because it's tacky, ugly, demoralizing, however you want to call it, it's just bad and lowers the value of my time with a game. Because a game is a medium that's a sum of its parts, if one part of that game is telling me that they want me to stop thinking about the game itself, and start thinking about paying to NOT play it - I can't help but think the game might be designed around it. Are they wasting my time just to see if they can get a quick buck, am I playing a predatory game? I get taken out of worlds and now I'm back in the real one thinking about business practices. It's awful. The worst part is, it's not even a free-to-play game. It's full priced. If I'm paying full price I should be able not to see these kinds of things.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I expect it will be an open world Mandalorian game. The series almost played out like a AC 'RPG' anyway. It's like George Lucas always had in mind the toys when he made the films; The Mandalorian could be accused of having games in mind when they did the whole baskar steel thing, and the gradual aquiring of equiptment.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A Star Wars-themed Witcher game where you play as a Mandalorian clean from SJW cliches would be a breath of fresh air. Only the first 1-2 games have any hope of being good.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Look I played AC: Origins and thought it was a middling experience packed with middling content and have avoided their other stuff for the most part, but I would play the fuck out of a well made Star Wars Creed, I'm not gonna lie.

I don't know why people think I was saying Witcher 3 is not an open world game in a post where I said Witcher 3 is an open world game. I guess I wrote it poorly, but I don't see it. Oh well.
The Witcher 3 is not really open world because there is level gating for quests and if you attempt a quest 5 levels or more above yours, enemies get insane combat stats bonuses. As a consequence, and due to the fact that the main quest gives you the most XP needed for progression, your progress through the game's big maps is determined by your progress with the main quest. The main quest is your tour guide through the "open world" map. If you consider that open world, ok.

Real open world games in my book would be Battle Brothers or Pirates!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'll grant you that "forces you to grind repetitive side content to sell their XP boosters" is a hard thing to prove in a gaming atmosphere where 9 out of 10 AAA games force you to grind repetitive side content anyway.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

I'll grant you that "forces you to grind repetitive side content to sell their XP boosters" is a hard thing to prove in a gaming atmosphere where 9 out of 10 AAA games force you to grind repetitive side content anyway.

Yeah, pretty much Ubisoft's recent games are just absolutely enormous not only in terms of the world but also the amount of stuff you can do. They wanted pretty much want you to play as long as possible.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

While this may or may not be true, I think a game is much much better off without the option at all. Why? It's a completely optional thing that doesn't affect me, a core gamer.

Because it's tacky, ugly, demoralizing, however you want to call it, it's just bad and lowers the value of my time with a game. Because a game is a medium that's a sum of its parts, if one part of that game is telling me that they want me to stop thinking about the game itself, and start thinking about paying to NOT play it - I can't help but think the game might be designed around it. Are they wasting my time just to see if they can get a quick buck, am I playing a predatory game? I get taken out of worlds and now I'm back in the real one thinking about business practices. It's awful. The worst part is, it's not even a free-to-play game. It's full priced. If I'm paying full price I should be able not to see these kinds of things.

If you are thinking of Ubisoft's games as simply single-player, sure. Although if you view Ubisoft's recent games (even single-player ones like AC and Immortals) as basically "live service" games, then the monetization scheme sorta makes more sense. Ubisoft has mentioned in the past that they were concentrating on "live service" games rather than pumping out large number of titles every year, for better or worse.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Star Wars is such a tired and drab property that's been in reinventing mode in the last decades now fully primed for maximum monetary exploitation with spin-offs, offshoots, remakes, relaunches, etc. in all branches of media.

They and Ubisoft are practically made for each other.

Siveon

Bot
If you are thinking of Ubisoft's games as simply single-player, sure. Although if you view Ubisoft's recent games (even single-player ones like AC and Immortals) as basically "live service" games, then the monetization scheme sorta makes more sense. Ubisoft has mentioned in the past that they were concentrating on "live service" games rather than pumping out large number of titles every year, for better or worse.
Live-service, a label that doesn't really mean much except it's very likely a game that's just full of the things I dislike. I already understand what they want to gain from these practices, this does not change my opinion that adding these so-called features is a disservice to the game itself.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm replaying fallen order with gamepass on my series x. It really is a great action adventure star wars game, and an expanded sequel is an automatic buy from me, which is saying something considering it's an EA game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom