Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

wahrk

Learned
I can’t keep up with all of your constant editing. Why don’t you slow down and show us on the doll where Mr. Halo touched you.

Ash

Arcane
In the heart and soul my friend. Truly Good vidja are not made anymore and Gaylo (but actually bungie) is partly to blame.

For the record I've had some fun with Halo, but only in a multiplayer context. Singleplayer it's complete trash.
I got addicted to Reach for a short period. The slow pace makes for a different kind of FPS, much like how turn-based RPGs can be fun despite being inherently slow. The pacing is not so much my issue with it, more the mechanics and level design which are dumb and too basic in a singleplayer context. Feels like playing a slightly more advanced hop skip jump sometimes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ash: there are no good games anymore!

also Ash: Ghost of Tsushima is a pretty good open world game where you clear bandit outposts. Also Bioshock infinite is good for what it is.

Ash

Arcane
If we're making this about the codex casuals vs Ash, then I have many modern games I enjoy, though a large portion is indie. Only very few from the past 15 years actually match the numerous old greats. There was so many, I feel sorry for you if you missed out.

Both Ghost and Bioshock I assigned the "good for what it is" label, which means I can just about stand them. No higher than 7/10 gets that label. I have played many games I'd label that this year. The phrase "Good for what it is" is short for "Good for what it is, that being declined" in a codexer context. I guess you didn't know.

Ash

Arcane
297.png

But seriously, your nostalgia argument is once again an insult to the truth and the typical response of those that don't know their video games. Like I said, I played these games back in the day, the Goldeneyes, the Halos. Where is my nostalgia for them in that case?
I know my games. I was there. I played and completed them all. The PC shooters. The console shooters. Even the handheld and flash shooters. This is not posturing; it's nothing to be proud of, this is about truth. Halo is no milestone of game design, but rather one of marketing, business/selloutism and opportunity (a launch title on a new machine, just like goldeneye, this is largely why they are both so popular). At the very least whatever merit it may have it is certainly not more valuable than much of its competition at the time. Those developers and their designs deserve better. Fuck you and every other clueless shithead that makes this claim.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Holy shit your argument is retarded. You're retarded. And for the record my last Halo outing was around 2017. Turok 2019 or so (Nightdive rerelease), same as Doom 64. Zero Hour it's been a little longer, nearly time for another replay. Alien Trilogy 2018, Disruptor same year (first playthrough, that one I missed, sadly a somewhat obscure game when it's quite decent). Exhumed/Powerslave I haven't played in forever, it's an alright build game, not bad not great. Still beats playing Halo singleplayer.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
There's no argument. You're just whining like a little bitch because no one here seems to agree with you.

Ash

Arcane
IKR? Codex is quite prestigious for RPGs, but the general gaming section is becoming more and more a casualfest. I considered many times looking elsewhere for people that actually play more than the latest, most popamole AAA games but I know there's a few knowledgeable folk still around here, and everywhere else is worse anyway.

What I really should be doing is instead of picking fights in the popamole threads is start posting my own.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The RPG forum is really the only one left here worth posting in, if we're all being honest with ourselves.

Anyway I don't think anyone is calling Halo the pinnacle of FPS entertainment, it was just better than most of what we got (on PC anyway) around that time and blows Call of Duty out of the water. I guess saying Turok is better shows your priorities are rooted in finding keys and not having linear level design, but I don't think that's all there is to having a good shooter. The combat itself is priority one, and Halo's combat is way better than Turok's. Other aspects of gameplay are important too, like the feeling of driving your jeep to a hilltop and sniping enemies, then driving it into the rest and shotgunning them, shit like that. There's also atmosphere and story, of course. But yes, I suppose if your definition of casual is "lacks level design which forces you to explore and find items that unlock new areas" then Halo is certainly lacking any of that really.

Anyway, I would like to see more threads from you Ash so get it done.

Ash

Arcane
The RPG forum is really the only one left here worth posting in, if we're all being honest with ourselves.

Anyway I don't think anyone is calling Halo the pinnacle of FPS entertainment, it was just better than most of what we got (on PC anyway) around that time and blows Call of Duty out of the water. I guess saying Turok is better shows your priorities are rooted in finding keys and not having linear level design, but I don't think that's all there is to having a good shooter. The combat itself is priority one, and Halo's combat is way better than Turok's. Other aspects of gameplay are important too, like the feeling of driving your jeep to a hilltop and sniping enemies, then driving it into the rest and shotgunning them, shit like that. There's also atmosphere and story, of course. But yes, I suppose if your definition of casual is "lacks level design which forces you to explore and find items that unlock new areas" then Halo is certainly lacking any of that really.

Anyway, I would like to see more threads from you Ash so get it done.

Hmm Turok (2) vs Halo ok. would prefer Zero Hour or Doom 64 but we can go with Turok 2.

Not just level design/exploration/navigation.
Resource management (health and ammo, probable inventory). -> Very simple in Halo.
Platforming, there's a lot of that in shooters (and Turok). Halo not really.
Puzzle elements, again, a lot of that in classic shooter design. None here.
Other alt. gameplay elements (ladders, swimming, jetpacking...). None here.
These are all integral aspects to classic shooter gameplay. They all had it in some form, alongside highly engaging and varied level design. You are strictly left with combat in Halo, and that may be acceptable to me if it were very, very good, but between the health system, two weapon limit, slow movement, and vehicle boredom I just don't see it. AI is pretty good, sure, but so is the AI in Turok 2. Turok 2 you get like 20 guns to play with, a traditional health system, faster movement speed, and highly complex levels.
Now I've long believed two weapon limits/loudouts and regen health works just fine in multiplayer PvP so it's less a focus on forcing the ole map dance and instead puts the focus on letting you move freely through the map and take advantage of terrain and such instead of having movement be dictated by pickup placement, but in singleplayer it just makes for a limited experience.

Why do you believe Halo's combat to be better than Turok's? Turok is boomer shooter stuff and I would say it's vastly more engaging, but maybe you have some good insights to share?

Anyway, I would like to see more threads from you @Ash so get it done.

Just remembered I have some youtube gameplay of Turok 2 re-release from 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMCiP3uoK3A

Not a thread but it's a start :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Hammer awesome button on the controller to doubt you've completed a single one. You're one of those like Rean that think Goldeneye and Halo are awsum when they're average at best and literally every other halfway decent shooter on any machine at the time was better. The thing is they were too hard for the average dumb as rocks/autistic gamer and so most didn't get past level 1, so we ended up with Call of Duty and Halo. Now there are no shooters on the market I can enjoy except the recent resurgence in the form of low budget derivative indies. thanks.

Where did I say Halo and Goldeneye were awesome, you fucking retard?

You’ve come to this thread to spout stupid shit instead of actually read the posts here. If you had, you would see how I call the Halo games console shooters, with much better fare to be found on PC.

I even mentioned the games I think are better - like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, FEAR etc.

My god, man. Do you have a brain? Hey, do you think the US presidential election was stolen, by any chance?

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Exploration makes such a big difference in how a game plays. Referring to games that are 50% FPS and 50% exploration as "FPS" never made any sense to me. They are so distinct from each other so they shouldn't even be compared. Calling System Shock and Metroid Prime FPS's doesn't make the games justice imo. The same applies to platfrom-adventures (Metroid for example) and platformers (Super Mario for example).

Citizen

Exploration makes such a big difference in how a game plays. Referring to games that are 50% FPS and 50% exploration as "FPS" never made any sense to me. They are so distinct from each other so they shouldn't even be compared. Calling System Shock and Metroid Prime FPS's doesn't make the games justice imo. The same applies to platfrom-adventures (Metroid for example) and platformers (Super Mario for example).

Well, I always considered metroid prime to be a...

metroidivania :smug:

Ash

Arcane
Hammer awesome button on the controller to doubt you've completed a single one. You're one of those like Rean that think Goldeneye and Halo are awsum when they're average at best and literally every other halfway decent shooter on any machine at the time was better. The thing is they were too hard for the average dumb as rocks/autistic gamer and so most didn't get past level 1, so we ended up with Call of Duty and Halo. Now there are no shooters on the market I can enjoy except the recent resurgence in the form of low budget derivative indies. thanks.

You’ve come to this thread to spout stupid shit instead of actually read the posts here. If you had, you would see how I call the Halo games console shooters, with much better fare to be found on PC.

I even mentioned the games I think are better - like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, FEAR etc.

My god, man. Do you have a brain? Hey, do you think the US presidential election was stolen, by any chance?

LOL!

>Tells me to learn 2 read.
>Failed to read himself.

Read it again...

I was referring to this post, btw:

I didn't really get the buzz around Halo 1, though to consoletards it really must have looked like the second coming because there were no good console first person shooters before then (except Goldeneye on the N64)

Why are you calling people "consoletards" and making claims like these when the games you suck off (Uncharted, Halo, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed -- generally the latest retarded AAA trash) are worse than most of anything on consoles at that time and is in reality the type of stuff that is made for actual retards? they're like soap operas, worse than because soap operas don't waste your time with hours upon hours of braindead gameplay that no self-respecting individual of taste would put themselves through.
You do realize when people say "consoletards" they're more referring to many console developer's tendency to produce lower bar for entry game design, as in gameplay? Meanwhile you're a "proud storyfag" and almost exclusively play modern dumbed down console games with the utmost retarded and intelligence-insulting gameplay (and also sometimes laughable stories, which is funny). You trigger me more than anyone on here for this insane paradox. It's for the best I use that ignore button and really this is just vidja, I wish you well provided you're not a bad person. Too bad about your tastes and dumb opinions but it is what it is.

And yes, well done, you said something logically sound for once: yes, RTCW is better than Halo. It's really not hard, pick a FPS out of a hat from the 90s/early 00s on any machine it will likely better be better than Halo (and Goldeneye).

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

LOL!

>Tells me to learn 2 read.
>Failed to read himself.

Read it again...

I was referring to this post, btw:

I didn't really get the buzz around Halo 1, though to consoletards it really must have looked like the second coming because there were no good console first person shooters before then (except Goldeneye on the N64)

Why are you calling people "consoletards" and making claims like these when the games you suck off (Uncharted, Halo, Shadow of Mordor, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed -- generally the latest retarded AAA trash) are worse than most of anything on consoles at that time and is in reality the type of stuff that is made for actual retards?
You do realize when people say "consoletards" they're more referring to many console developer's tendency to produce lower bar for entry game design, as in gameplay? Meanwhile you're a "proud storyfag" and almost exclusively play modern dumbed down console games with the utmost retarded and intelligence-insulting gameplay (and also sometimes laughable stories, which is funny). You trigger me more than anyone on here for this insane paradox. It's for the best I use that ignore button and really this is just vidja, I wish you well provided you're not a bad person. Too bad about your tastes and dumb opinions but it is what it is.

And yes, well done, you said something logically sound for once: yes, RTCW is better than Halo. It's really not hard, pick a FPS out of a hat from the 90s/early 00s on any machine it will likely better be better than Halo (and Goldeneye).

You haven’t taken back your lie about me saying Halo and Goldeneye are awesome, I see.

I don’t know where you get your dumb opinions from, like me almost exclusively playing console games - probably best I don’t know as it is obviously some dark paranoid corner of your feeble mind.

I don’t wish you well, because I think you are a lying cunt. How’s that? Go ahead and ignore me you fucking crybaby prick.

Raskens

Learned
Patron

Well, I always considered metroid prime to be a...

metroidivania :smug:

I avoid using the term "metroidvania" because it's ambigious. Some use it strictly for plaftormers, some extend it to other genres etc. In addiition to this I don't like the "vania" part of the term. True Castlevanias are action-platformers, not platform-adventures.

I would personally call SS and Metroid Prime FPS-adventures.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

You said they were "good". No need for semantics, retard.

If you had, you would see how I call the Halo games console shooters, with much better fare to be found on PC

I even mentioned the games I think are better - like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, FEAR etc..

If YOU learned to read, you will see I never actually disagreed with this. While there are some good console shooters, generally the PC produced way more and typically to a higher standard.

I'm not American. Not everything is about the states, you American fucktard.

I don’t know where you get your dumb opinions from, like me almost exclusively playing console games - probably best I don’t know as it is obviously some dark paranoid corner of your feeble mind.

I don’t wish you well, because I think you are a lying cunt. How’s that? Go ahead and ignore me you fucking crybaby prick.

rating_lulz.gif

too dumb to bother with. Hammering the awesome ignore button.

Deleted member 7219

Window licking moron going to seek the refuge of his ignore button. Pathetic.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Turok 1997
Turok 2 1998
Doom 64 1997
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour 1999
Alien Trilogy 1996
Exhumed/Powerslave 1996
Disruptor 1996

Halo 2 2004

Doom 3 2004

Far Cry 1 2004

I may be old, but I know what I write. PC shooters of its era means PC shooters of its era. It's like comparing Quake 1 and Doom 3, apples and oranges. In its specific context and for its specific date of release, Halo 2 is pretty gud.

I have no affection for the Halos and I am comparing them exclusively to what I know. Why should I bother comparing first gen console shooters with Halo? Fool's errand. Feel free to disagree, but your point (in regard to what I write, I won't bother to engage your other points) is meaningless.

If I wanted comparisons, I should work on Marathon Infinity (1996). A game I never finished, Marathon 2 burned me out.

Last edited:

Citizen

Yet Halo is better than any of the shooters you just listed except for maybe Doom 64.

I love halo but I'd take Turok over it (and over most of the PC classics to be honest) any day

I see the nostalgia is strong with you as well. Turok was never that good to begin with imo, and, like most N64 games, it's aged terribly.

Replayed it a year ago, still a great game that weaves together oldskool fastpaced shooting and 3d platforming. If it's too aged for you play a pc remaster

Ash

Arcane
Yet Halo is better than any of the shooters you just listed except for maybe Doom 64.

I love halo but I'd take Turok over it (and over most of the PC classics to be honest) any day

I see the nostalgia is strong with you as well. Turok was never that good to begin with imo, and, like most N64 games, it's aged terribly.

Replayed it a year ago, still a great game that weaves together oldskool fastpaced shooting and 3d platforming. If it's too aged for you play a pc remaster

PC remaster wont solve it, it's the game design. For people like this and many others actual gameplay beyond point and click on the bad guy is an aged concept. That's why objective markers exist universally now (or else basic level design), completely eliminating navigation/orienteering, a legitimate form of gameplay. One example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom