Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Free Indie Games Corner

Drop Duck

Learned
Post free indie games you find here and write a sentence or two about why people should check them out.

I will start off with The Anything Gallery. Ever went to a museum with your mates only to find you didn't like anything in there? This game lets you find whatever you wish in your personal art gallery. I put Thomas Kinkade, the painter of light®, in my art gallery. What will your exhibition look like?

xBWSzpZ.png

Drop Duck

Learned
There is a big and upcoming star in the indie games scene that goes by the handle ThrillDaWill who is a true artist.

He made his first big splash with Mr. Krabs Overdoses On Ketamine. A small open world game set in the Spongebob multimedia cinematic universe that juxtaposes the family friendly kid's show with content for adult viewership. It became a cult hit and gained a thriving speedrunning community.

Then he made a Cyberpunk 2077 clone called Cybergunk 2020 in one day and it expands on the crafting elements in the source game, letting you build a small cottage right outside the big bustling city. It is very faithful to Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Projekt Red, small clusters of bandits in the city and you can forage food and drink by killing pedestrians. There are also some secrets to find but I won't spoil the pleasure of finding them for you.

After exploring the commercial scene with his thought provoking takes on pop culture projects he then did a 360 and made an art game which he named Ride Wife, Life Good. Not only does it move to original themes but it deep dives into the husband-wife relationship without a snorkel, turning up the difficulty to Dark Souls levels in this hard hitting platformer. If Tale of Tales had the artistic integrity of this dev they would still be making games.

What we are looking at here folks is the the Banksy of video games and you owe yourself to play his early works before he goes big and achieves popularity which will prohibit his creativity and force him into a hole, no doubt eclipsing the impact of the works he produces now.

Drop Duck

Learned
Back Home for Christmas

A cute Christmas game about a lost penguin trying to find his way home. It's freely available for no money at all but all the proceeds if you decide to pay something for it goes to charity to feed hungry children. It's very professionally made for a free game. I'm still playing through it myself but so far I would say that it's a good game that you can let your own children play if you are a cool enough dude to have any.

Drop Duck

Learned
Hello everyone in the free indie gaming community!

TvVq8ks.gif

Here are two great free games to start off the new year with that will make you happy to be alive in 2021.

Frog Wednesday and Frog Wednesday 2, the sequel everyone has been waiting for. They are two top ribbit rated platformers that you just have to try out for yourself. What makes them great can't be explained.

If you found the secret frog party in the first game then post a screenshot in this thread.

If this does nothing to tickle your gaming tastebuds then how about a blast from the past? As a last salute to Macromedia Flash (RIP) you owe it to yourself to experience Frog Fractions if you haven't already. That game can't be explained either, so just go check it out.

Citizen

Warsow/warfork - great oldskool arena fps focused on SPEED. You go fast, jump fast, shoot fast, die fast

Battle for Wesnoth - cute fantasy general inspired game, tons of quality user-made scenarios available

Soldat - everybody knows that one

Drop Duck

Learned
Would you look at that, two free indie game fans in my thread, and they contributed too! That made my day.

Warsow/warfork - great oldskool arena fps focused on SPEED. You go fast, jump fast, shoot fast, die fast
Soldat - everybody knows that one
Do these two still have an active player community? I played them way back and remember that they were great fun.

Now another issue of the Free Indie Gamer news letter for you, my mates.

First we have the best crossover of the decade, SUPER IS HOT, which combines Baba is You with SUPER HOT. Not only does it work but it is a great little game that makes you use your noodle.

https://pyrofoux.itch.io/super-is-hot

Warning: don't watch the video if you are planning to beat the game yourself, it shouldn't take you very long and it is worth playing for yourself.

For the next game all the kids must leave or at least close their eyes, because it's an erotic photography sim. OnlyCans: Thirst Date describes itself as ‘The World's Only Erotic Can Photography Simulator’. Make of that what you will.

lH97sYc.png

https://oxyoxspring.itch.io/onlycans

Drop Duck

Learned
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a spiritual successor to Another World and Flashback. So far it's just a prototype as the devs seek funding for a bigger game but what they have made so far is worth playing.

Black Resin

https://pies-dariusz.itch.io/black-resin
(You can play it directly in your browser, no download!)

I don't expect you to take my word for it being good it this time, this game got endorsed by an Australian celebrity and game design god:

C5Pp1rK.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
suteF is a puzzle-platforming game where you must push boxes, grapple walls, activate switches, and avoid lasers to make your escape from the dreaded land known only as the 'Abyss.'

https://gamejolt.com/games/sutef/4195

Creative puzzles and great atmosphere, takes about two hours to complete. What more do you want?

Drop Duck

Learned
suteF is a puzzle-platforming game where you must push boxes, grapple walls, activate switches, and avoid lasers to make your escape from the dreaded land known only as the 'Abyss.'
Very cool game! I will have to check that one out for sure! Anything that actives your noodle must be good for you.

I have another crop of hot new free indie games for you all. It's in the title of the thread already, but isn't it amazing that all these games are free for you to enjoy?

Chainsaw Dance
A short playable prototype demo that is playable in your browser, based on a manga.

Uh oh! It seems you are on a date with the Chainsaw Man!
He dismembers everything, and besides, you hardly understand what he is saying. Will you survive this date?
https://benedique.itch.io/chainsaw-dance

LOCUST, U.S.A
Horror-themed breakout! That's something you don't see everyday.

Uncover the dark secrets of the small American town of Locust, by breaking blocks and hitting switches. Gameplay mechanics inspired by Arkanoid clones and various weird pinball machines, and aesthetics inspired by Stranger Things, World of Horror, Tron, etc...
https://hwilson.itch.io/locust

Project Feline (PRE-ALPHA)
Catgirl parkour.

Play as Gabi, a feline-human hybrid who can ride walls and grind rails at high speed! Play through a fast, thrilling, stylish third-person experience like none other!

Ride on walls and grind rails to traverse complex environments!
Jump from wall-to-wall to combo your speed!
Slide for tight high-speed control!
Collect orbs for bonus points!
Beat other players' times & scores!
https://raymondafcripps.itch.io/feline

Frame of Mind
Mind-bending first person puzzler made by Kiwi students.

In Frame of Mind, you are placed in a world where logic is escaping you. Each area of the game defies reason, requiring you to think outside the box in order to solve the illogical and escape madness.
15+ reality-defying puzzles
A world that conforms to your observation
30+ minutes of mind-bending gameplay

Last edited:

Drop Duck

Learned
Hello again, mates in the free indie game community.

Today's offering isn't a treasure trove like usual but consists in one simple game. If you could even call it a game. It's a chill experience consisting of you delivering fish to villagers you never see on a small island. Most walking sims have garnered a bad reputation for being preachy non-games used as vehicles by pretentious people with nothing to say beyond dull politicking. This is not one of those games and with Google coming head to head with the Australian government this is just the sort of thing you need to take your mind of it all. Whatever is on your mind, be it personal problems or the cloud of social unrest along with the consolidation of power on the global stage in different directions, this is the game that will let you breathe for a while.

iloilo

Embark on the smallest journey by delivering fish to the island residents. Run around the island and make sure all fish crates are filled. A rotating mountain in the center of the island sure is an eyecatcher.

https://madebyjens.itch.io/iloilo

So give this game a try and relax for a while. Or if your local weather and season allows for it, go and fish in the real world. There's nothing that beats it when it comes to clearing your mind and easing your tensions.

Also an update on suteF, that was a great recommendation and one that I encourage all you folks to check out.

https://gamejolt.com/games/sutef/4195

Drop Duck

Learned

Drop Duck

Learned
Buddytale

Buddytale is exploration of our attachments to virtual pets, our responsibilities as their caretakers, and the way digital mortality effects the value we place on our relationships to computational entities. It is a series of vignettes, little snapshots into the relationship between an owner and their pet, from the day they meet until they must say goodbye.

https://evchang.itch.io/buddytale

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Pro Office Calculator

screen01.png

An office calculator, with many features. Saying anything else would spoil this wonderful and clever little thing.
It is also a solid and well thought puzzle box, with quite a lot of surprises. Have a pencil handy. Also, if in doubt, don't overthink it.

index.php the original Knytt is also very good. Pretty short, but a great platformer with few enemies, perfect for spending some time once in a while exploring around in its relaxing atmosphere. Good chill game. I found Knytt Stories to be too linear and punishing compared to the first.

Last edited:
Pro Office Calculator

screen01.png

An office calculator, with many features. Saying anything else would spoil this wonderful and clever little thing.
It is also a solid and well thought puzzle box, with quite a lot of surprises. Have a pencil handy. Also, if in doubt, don't overthink it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom