Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

Parabalus

Arcane
Suzerain was robbed.
Mate, it might deserve the top spot of some list, but is that list really the RPG of the year list? Say what you will about Wasteland 3 but at the end of the day it is an actual RPG, unlike so much else that was in the this year's nominations.

If Phoenix Point (good game) made the RPG cut then Suzerain really should have as well. Plenty of other examples as well.

Drop Duck

Learned
Suzerain was robbed.
Mate, it might deserve the top spot of some list, but is that list really the RPG of the year list? Say what you will about Wasteland 3 but at the end of the day it is an actual RPG, unlike so much else that was in the this year's nominations.
If Phoenix Point (good game) made the RPG cut then Suzerain really should have as well. Plenty of other examples as well.
I don't think that should have made the cut either, tactical games have always been another genre. Suzerain may very well be the best game that came out this year but that doesn't make it an RPG. This forum should change name to Grognardex instead, then we can make Suzerain our game of the year and put Paradox classics along with Close Combat and Silent Storm in our list of classics. Plus we would get news about turn based tactical games and wargame goodness on the front page.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Maybe call it something cool like Tacticular Cancer.

thumb_iwas-there-3000-years-ago-memegenerator-net-i-was-there-3000-50514320.png

hello friend

Arcane
Next time the poll should be advertised only on members only viewable areas of the Codex, and a fake poll should be advertised on twitter as usual to throw the plebs off the scent of the real poll. Then the results of the public poll are tossed into the trash where they belong, and the results of the real one are announced on the front page.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Tags: GOTY 2020

Welcome to the RPG Codex 2020 GOTY Award!

This year we had 1025 voters, who rated 76 releases from 2020. If 2019 felt like a slow year, this was even slower. But we still had some good games that will likely turn into classics as more people try them out. Since we had very few expansions & DLCs this year, I've cut the categories to just two: Best RPGs of the Year & Best PC ports/remasters.

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

Game of the Year
1st - Wasteland 3
2nd - Yakuza: Like a Dragon
3rd - Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children

Best Remaster/Port
Persona 4 Golden

For the full results and fancy graphs, just follow the link below.

Read the full article: RPG Codex GOTY 2020: Results & Cool Graphs

It is not Codex list.

Codex wouldnt name shitty anime titles, that are not even rpgs as GOTY.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There were good to great games that weren't added in the poll. The year is better than some people give it credit for.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
There were good to great games that weren't added in the poll. The year is better than some people give it credit for.

Lets be honest, some people are sick, some are gay and some do like anime.
So they will vote anime even if there are many good games (or if there is none, does not matter to them since they do not know what good game is).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So they will vote anime even if there are many good games (or if there is none, does not matter to them since they do not know what good game is).
Them not being added to the poll is solely on felipepepe. I've read his explanation, but it is not good enough. I've been trying to not criticize too much, but his stubbornness and dismissive nature is getting annoying. There should be a voting thread, just like I said before. He complains about there being possible trolls, but that will happen no matter how you do voting. You could just include a rule that you may not edit your post once you have voted. It's simply not fine that one person decides what games are included.
Until someone else takes charge of the voting, I can't take the results seriously. His efforts are appreciated, because I like to look at the raw data numbers, but that alone does not make the exclusion of some fine games acceptable.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Them not being added to the poll is solely on felipepepe. I've read his explanation, but it is not good enough. I've been trying to not criticize too much, but his stubbornness and dismissive nature is getting annoying. There should be a voting thread, just like I said before. He complains about there being possible trolls, but that will happen no matter how you do voting. You could just include a rule that you may not edit your post once you have voted. It's simply not fine that one person decides what games are included.
Until someone else takes charge of the voting, I can't take the results seriously. His efforts are appreciated, because I like to look at the raw data numbers, but that alone does not make the exclusion of some fine games acceptable.

Can you name drop some of the games that you think should have been in the poll?

Just saying games exist but not naming them doesn't help spread the word.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Can you name drop some of the games that you think should have been in the poll?

Just saying games exist but not naming them doesn't help spread the word.
A sample:

9th Dawn III
Alder's Blood
Arcante
Axe Cop
Colmen's Quest
The Curse of Svaltfen
Dark Bestiary
Dawn of the Mexica
Fates of Ort
Der Geisterturm / The Ghost Tower
Guildmaster: Gratuitous Subtitle
Mainframe Defenders
Maneater
Mortal Glory
Note of the outskirts
Pendragon
Realms of Antiquity - The Shattered Crown
Suzerain
Tenderfoot Tactics
Wild West and Wizards
The Wind and Wilting Blossom
Zorbus

More here:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ole-playing-games.119870/page-35#post-6559408

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm not sure a spammable public poll that requires no registration which also has its link posted to places like twitter and reddit for some ridiculous reason can in any sane sense be deemed an authoritative take of the RPG Codex's tastes. Especially when you factor in felipepepe's dubious standards for what constitutes a legitimate vote (if you only rated 1 game in the poll because it's the only one of those games you played that year, felipe throws your vote out as obviously fake, but if you've played 30+ of these obscure garbage games, then obviously your vote is totally legitimate under his expert gaze) and other weird standards for inclusion on his list and so forth.

Felipepepe also expresses a persistent skepticism that a single person might vote anywhere from a dozen to a hundred times on his poll (and promises that he can totally spot it when people do that, which I'm sure he can't unless someone is retarded enough to chain-vote from the same IP each time as opposed to using proxies or to use completely identical voting slates each time) even though his poll makes absolutely zero effort to require any form of authentication and is in fact extremely easy to spam. Ergo, felipepepe eyeballs a lot of shit when pruning the submissions and is running a garbage poll flooded with illegitimate votes for something that purports to be a Codex GOTY poll.

So the poll is hot garbage and doesn't count as an official GOTY or anything. I don't have anything against felipepepe, but I do have something against these ridiculously awful polls which some retards insist on calling authoritative takes on RPG Codex consensus.

:killit:

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It isn't. It is just what came out of felipepepes stupid poll

A pity that Cyberjunk didn't win ..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom