Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTA 6 Speculation

I think both are all right. IV attempted a more serious, grounded tone (in comparison to SA) while V went back to the San Andreas tone of causing a massacre at a construction site and burying the foreman alive in his own shit because they catcalled your sister.

Let's see, story about war, revenge, searching for something VS bored with family life (Michael), making money (Franklin), and batshit retard (Trevor).

What? I know the car handling changed completely and was made more unrealistic, but that was for the better since it makes driving more fun. Air control and the ability to flip the car is great, realism be damned.

How exactly is it more fun? Cars handle like on rails, no skill, nothing. In 4, you actually had to learn physics, get gud, etc.

Was it even changed from IV? And it's such a miniscule detail in a GTA game, who even uses melee fighting?

Ah, everyone?

Melee was always one of the most fun parts of GTA games. They even had 3 different styles in San Andreas. IV was best though, you had timed blocks and counters, and beautiful animations.

In V, you just do one swing, and knock everybody out. It's not a gameplay element anymore.

What? IV's combat is literal popamole, designed for cover shooting since that was the hottest trend at the time. The combat in V is more mobile with higher FOV (and faster movement speed?) while aiming - in IV I used cover the entire game because it felt necessary, whereas in V I barely ever used it because it didn't feel like a must anymore. You could just run and gun all the time.

Enemies in V are also more squishy, leading to encounters where you quickly dispatch a whole lot of them where in the same situation in IV you would only face a few. Headshots are also always instantly fatal in V (IIRC) whereas armored enemies require 2 headshots in IV.

They are too squishy, and the gunsounds are too quiet, and the guns handle too easily. It feels like paintball more than actual gunfire. In IV, shooting had more weight to it, felt like actual shooting more.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Let's see, story about war, revenge, searching for something VS bored with family life (Michael), making money (Franklin), and batshit retard (Trevor).
I think you're putting IV on a pedestal and are too harsh on V. Micheal is not simply bored with family life, his family gets completely destroyed and he has to rebuild it. Trevor is a madman but he is in the right, Micheal stabbed him in the back and he has to find a way to be able to work with him again. Franklin is just kinda there, he's the blandest of the bunch.

Neither story is great but they're both all right.

How exactly is it more fun? Cars handle like on rails, no skill, nothing. In 4, you actually had to learn physics, get gud, etc.
:prosper:

Floaty movement is always bad in video games, unless you're purposefully making a goofy physics simulator like QWOP or something. When players complain that the main component of your game feels sluggish, you've fucked up.

Melee was always one of the most fun parts of GTA games. They even had 3 different styles in San Andreas.
I'm replaying SA right now and while the 3 (4 with the default, untrained one) fighting styles is a nice touch, they have no purpose. 99% of the enemies use guns and the game simply isn't designed for melee play.

IV was best though, you had timed blocks and counters, and beautiful animations.

In V, you just do one swing, and knock everybody out. It's not a gameplay element anymore.
I'm pretty sure you only one-swing civilians who don't fight back. Otherwise it's the same, with timed dodges and counter-attacks.
Maybe they did boost player damage in V? But literally who cares, 99% of enemies wield guns so melee only comes into play when you engage a dockworker on the street for the hell of it.

They are too squishy, and the gunsounds are too quiet, and the guns handle too easily. It feels like paintball more than actual gunfire. In IV, shooting had more weight to it, felt like actual shooting more.
I enjoyed the loud gunfights in the grimy apartments and warehouses of Liberty City. But I'd take arcadey over-the-top shootouts with less emphasis on cover use over that any day.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I lost all respek for Rockstar after GTA V. Stupid story compared to IV, dumbed down physics and hand to hand fighting, combat that felt like pillow fighting, unlikable characters, mostly emphasis on multiplayer to the detriment of single player. Not looking forward to 6 at all right now, unless they change all these things.

They fixed all of that with RDR 2.......but rdr 2 was boring :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Michael's story in GTA5 a good bit. Franklin's was okay. Less serious than GTA4 sure, but GTA4 is the outlier there, the rest all feel more silly. Trevor's campaign was the one that annoyed me for various reasons.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I liked Michael's story in GTA5 a good bit. Franklin's was okay. Less serious than GTA4 sure, but GTA4 is the outlier there, the rest all feel more silly. Trevor's campaign was the one that annoyed me for various reasons.
They did a pretty great job of making me hate Trevor right from the start by
having him kill Johnny Klebitz. Johnny was a pretty great character. I liked how he actually wanted the Lost to keep a low profile and he was basically rebelling against a psycho boss

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
65Jm4GG.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
I did not care for character switching in V. There is something about sticking with a single character through one of these long journeys that is more satisfying to me.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I did not care for character switching in V. There is something about sticking with a single character through one of these long journeys that is more satisfying to me.

Most likely removed, as in rdr 2 you play as one.

Machocruz

Arcane
Another thing: can we please have diversions back that actually fit the premise of the series. What the fuck is tennis? Who's got time for that when there are rampages to go on, drugs to run, hos to pimp, turfs to take over, etc. Volition got it right in SR2.

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://80.lv/articles/take-two-registers-a-new-patent-for-smarter-npcs/

80 LEVEL said:
A new system could help the developer build incredibly realistic game worlds.

TakeTwo has recently registered a new patent that could be related to improved AI for future games. The patent involves a "system and method for virtual navigation in a gaming environment". The news was posted on Reddit after being registered by publisher Take-Two in October 2020.

The patent is focused on ways in which in-game NPCs move around and react to game worlds. It notes that conventional systems only provide limited resources when developers are trying to automate such movements. For example, drivers in games react to other nearby objects rather than the world around them. It is worth noting that the Inventors of the patent are David Hynd (Associate Director of Tech at Rockstar) and Simon Parr (Lead AI Programmer at Rockstar).

The team's goal is to create "a realistic virtual world that is not limited by hardware or software limitations." The new system will let each NPC define its own specific characteristics when driving, for example. An NPC driving a sports car would react differently than the one in a van and so on.

We don't want to jump to any conclusions and say that this one is meant for GTA VI but the open-world game could definitely benefit from this one. You can find the patent here.

The next AI they patent will be Cinematic AI ™. It will just sit there and look good.

GTA series is one of the tragedies of modern game development. Can you imagine the potential they had, where they could've taken it? How about a full on simulation of the mob, with actual mob economies, rackets, bribing cops and politicians, rising up in a dynamic, simulated gang/family... Instead, Rockstar has been making purdy cities and shittier and shittier gameplay for dumb childrenz.

What? IV's combat is literal popamole, designed for cover shooting since that was the hottest trend at the time.

The fuck? I went through entire IV never using a sticky cover, just crouching behind stuff like in any old TPS. GTA V literally forces you to use sticky cover garbage because it removed the crouch and instead added a stealth mode where character walks slowly standing up. Like, just make regular crouch also be a sneak mode, retards.

Xeon

Augur
This feels kinda weird, RDR2 very recently came out and already RDR3 is being worked on instead of GTA? I thought Rockstar mostly concentrate on one game at a time, beside online I mean.

Would be kinda wild if it turns out RDR3 is a real thing and it was because of GTA online was a lot more successful than RDR2's or something.

snoek

Cipher
I'm quite sure that's a typing error and that it should read "RDR2".
Maybe, maybe not.
Like I said, not a big surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom