Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rusty's official unofficial RPGCODEX 2020 GOTY thread

1. Fallout Sonora
___
And now I realised that all good RPGs I played last year were either early access, expansions, or fanmade. Eh. I'll list them just in case:
___
2. Stoneshard
3. Baldur's Gate 3
4. ATOM RPG: Trudograd
5. Battle Brothers - Blazing Deserts

Pointless to have a vote this year I think, should just declare goty 2020 as no contest.

It's not about the money winner, it's about sending a message.

And what would that message be soyboy and to whom?

The message should be : No RPGCodex GOTY this year.
Instead, just nominate the worst AAA fake RPG of 2020: RPGCodex Worst Fake RPG failure of the year 2020!
That would send a message!

I haven't agreed with something so much, for a long time. No GOTY (although it would have to be Wasteland 3 considering the dearth of anything else worthwhile), but a special announcement Worst fake failure award to 2077... yeah, that would make the rounds.

Last edited:

acer palmatum

Scholar
1. Wasteland 3

2. CP 2077 going second place - didn't really grip me. I am more of a party-RPG-player.

Can't remember other 2020 RPGs I played, so either I didn't or I forgot about them and they are not worth mentioning (from my side at least).

vazha

Arcane
1. Battle Brothers: Blazing Deserts
2. BonerLord
3. Spellforce: Falled God *

* Would be higher if it were a Myth-like instead of that inane RTS part

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
People who voted for Troublemaker: Abandoned Children were abandoned in childhood?

What is wrong with you

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 3 would be the only faint idea of a positive example of an RPG this year.

I have also played Starpoint Gemini 3 and Empire of Sin, which came out this year, but they are subpar and should not be included in any self-respecting persons list.

This is my take on 2020. Thank you.

4too

Arcane
Wasteland 3

For once in a long long time, played the Beta.

For once in a long long time, had multiple starting builds.

Stayed with the pair that had 4 rounds 30.06 for the sniper.
Guess that's what the hand grenades and pee soaked snow balls were for, old school, hard scramble starting level.

Was a tipping point when total number of saves, Beta included, made save/loading worse.
Traveled lighter/looser in mid and end game, blunder into encounters and survive, or be wiped out.
Backing up and replaying, came to hate the cosmic joke of loot boxes, always the damned 'Nail Box'.
The useful skill of Brawling from Wasteland 1, allowing every build a melee option,
had been gentrified by console kung fu. Who brings 'bare knuckles' to a gun fight ... a super hero ...
MARVEL COMICS hipsters! :lol:
The useless loot. Passive aggressive way of saying hard times in Colorado? ;)

Made it to the last fight, appears I saved my last yellow snowball for the DEUS EX Social Justice Highjacker.

Rather timely GOTY at my Zip Code.

4too

Codex Year of the Donut
Hey Rusty, can you add "Nothing" as a legitimate GOTY option?
While I understand the importance of a no confidence vote, I'm equally aware that it would win in a landslide and therefore there's no reason to accept no confidence votes.
I believe we're almost all in agreement that 2020 was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, rotten year for RPGs.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
While I understand the importance of a no confidence vote, I'm equally aware that it would win in a landslide and therefore there's no reason to accept no confidence votes.
I believe we're almost all in agreement that 2020 was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, rotten year for RPGs.

The difference is that in the last years there were titles remotely worthy of a Codex GOTY. Now it's like giving the award to DA2.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
2020 was a great year for EA, though. Solasta, BG3, and KotC 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom